LegacyGT.com

Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic Oil. Better than Platinum?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The real question is, do I have to use a better oil filter with Ultra than I do with Platinum?

Yes! They're releasing that soon, so stand by.

And a higher quality crush washer?

No!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Why? Do you even understand the differences?

:)

Yes, I do understand the differences. Group III is derived from petroleum bases and therefore are not 100% synthetic. I sure that many Group III oils perform very well in many cases, but I have a problem with how they are advertised. Lets not forget that Mobil 1 used to be group IV before they switched to group III to save a buck because they knew they could get away with calling it "synthetic". I will continue to use only Group IV oils personally instead of using syn-blend oils at fully synthetic prices.

Is the overall marketing strategy perhaps to capture some of the M1 Clean crowd? Because they seem to be positioning the product that way though more subtle.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Yes, I do understand the differences. Group III is derived from petroleum bases and therefore are not 100% synthetic. I sure that many Group III oils perform very well in many cases, but I have a problem with how they are advertised.

I hear what you are saying, but by getting hung up on a technicality you are really turning away from a lot of great performing cheaper oils, the Pennzoil line being one of them. I don't care what it says on the bottom, I care what UOAs look like and mine showed that at ~$20 I can get the same thing, or better, that I would spending $30 or more. I can't think of one single reason why I would put the extra money into some company's pocket other than (stupid) brand loyalty or, like you pointed out, marketing talk.

I stopped by Walmart yesterday and sure enough they raised the price on Pennzoil Platinum to $23 a jug:spin: Pennzoil Ultra was next to it for $28. I think they raised the price to entice people into getting the more expensive option since it's "only 5 bucks more". PP used to be right around $19-21 all the time.

For the record, because I can see rao facepalming himself right about now :lol:, I'm not obsessive over this kind of stuff. The only reason I did UOAs was to see how my engine was doing on Stage 1 and Stage 2. I had several done and I found an oil I could use in a variety of conditions, for cheap, that is up to the task and doesn't shear to shit in the interval that I change it.

Yes, I do understand the differences. Group III is derived from petroleum bases and therefore are not 100% synthetic. I sure that many Group III oils perform very well in many cases, but I have a problem with how they are advertised. Lets not forget that Mobil 1 used to be group IV before they switched to group III to save a buck because they knew they could get away with calling it "synthetic". I will continue to use only Group IV oils personally instead of using syn-blend oils at fully synthetic prices.

While a great marketing answer, you didn't answer my question. What are the physical property differences between Group III and Group IV in your engine that you don't want?

You answer so far was the equivalent of saying: I don't want a treatment of stem cells from amniotic fluid, because it's not the same as stem cells that came from a destroyed embryo.

Are the group III molecules less homogenous in size? Do they flow worse? Are they less resistant to burnoff than group IV? When they do burn (as all oil does) what do they leave behind?

I mean no offense to you: as Rao beleaguered, many people assume Group III is somehow worse than Group IV simply because Group IV starts in a "purer" state, or because of AMSOIL marketing, or so many other things....

4th time is overachieving and anyone that truly loves their car should aim for that.

Hopefully this thread will get back to the merits/specs/performance of the oil in question :D

Any UOAs spotted yet? I bet that if any, given how new this thing is on the market, would probably be highway miles.

Rao, I'm really sorry, but we must get to the bottom of this. It's unfortunate no one has begun an inquiry on this forum already.

Does anyone know in what ways Pennzoil Ultra (says Hyper on the bottle as well) Pennzoil is superior to the old Platinum? Will it get all that sludge out of our engines?

It's about time Pennzoil released such a high technology product.

I used RP, then switched to GC, then now waiting for ENEOS shipping :D

I hear what you are saying, but by getting hung up on a technicality you are really turning away from a lot of great performing cheaper oils, the Pennzoil line being one of them. I don't care what it says on the bottom, I care what UOAs look like and mine showed that at ~$20 I can get the same thing, or better, that I would spending $30 or more. I can't think of one single reason why I would put the extra money into some company's pocket other than (stupid) brand loyalty or, like you pointed out, marketing talk.

I guess I would say that the big thing you gain with Group IV is consistancy. True synthetic oils are built from the ground up. The compounds are more stable than group iii compounds and in theory should have more consistant performance.

Anyways, back to the issue at hand. Here are the spec sheets between PP and Ultra

Ultra: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003371945_200911241744.pdf

PP: http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Platinum%20Full%20Synthetic%20Motor%20Oil.pdf

is this bad for a turbocharged engine?

For to couple of extra bucks, just buy the Gunk Flush.

I just turned 122,000 mile using what ever oil is cheap at WalMart and Fram filters, I pay $11.00 to $13.00 for the 5qt bottle and buy expensive $4.27 Fram filters.

Still have the OEM banjo fitting and the engine run's fine.

I still don't see why people spend the extra $$'s for expensive oils. They all must meet the standards recommended.

Hey, it's your money spend it where you want. I must have dumb luck, by now my engine or turbo should have blown up. If you believe everything you read.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived