LegacyGT.com

Continental ExtremeContact DWS Complete Garbage

LegacyFuture

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've put about 200 mi on the set of them that I just got.

Initial impressions:

Compared with the RE92's. Ride noise is down significantly, traction is up. The sidewalls may be a little soft (35 psi), but that's resulted in softening the bumps up significantly. Gas mileage may have taken a slight hit (-1 mpg?).

Overall, I like the tires. I got them because I want good traction in the snow in Tahoe, but a dedicated set of winters doesn't make sense.

I'm debating upping the pressure, but I pretty happy with the current ride quality (I don't typically drive aggressively).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bought some today! I will review. I had been running Bridgestone RE960 AS Pole Position tires for years (multiple sets). Loved them. Went in today for balance and rotation and had a wear problem on front right tire. (belts exposed)

Only a couple options in stock narrowed down to Kumho ASX or Conti Extreme DWS. They knocked the price of the conti down and gave me some credit for all the tires I recently purchased... and talked me into the more expensive Conti.

16k on mine no issues, been runnig 40 frnt/38 rear since new. Ride is great, yes the sidewalls are soft, that's why the psi is bumped up. Great in the rain and snow, they are a all weather tire, not for everyone if they autox or track the car though.

I wouldn't own these if I didn't think these were safe, need to keep my 8 year old safe when she says vroom vroom daddy!!

I switched from DWS to DW recently and the difference is night and day on dry pavement. The DWS made so much noise over bumps I thought it was my ALK. Once I switched to the DW, so much better. Would never buy a DWS now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Mine have zero road noise. I actually thought I had a issue with mine but it turned out to be bad rear wheel bearings.

After the post I was listening more for tire noise and noticed if I was driving on concrete (with grooves) I did notice a bit of noise nothing on asphault.

I had the original version, conti extremes (before dws). Sidewall blew out on one. I ended up with a set of the DWS a few years ago and while they're weren't awesome in the snow, they were a great all around all season tire. Unfortunately the sidewall blew out on these also. I ran 38/36 psi. I won't be buying another set of conti's.. I really don't know what to go for as my next all season. I'm considering the Eagle F1s, or the Pilot A/S..

It seems like everyone is forgetting this is a Z-rated A/S, not a Z-rated PERFORMANCE tire, thus the 'soft' sidewalls heh. Its not the best tire on the market, but its not supposed to be, which is why they are so affordable IMO.

I'm at 13k miles currently, and cant make a single complaint:confused: They've done great in 2 MI winters, FL's rainy season, and of course great in summer for me.:cool: On my 2nd set currently...

I also heard recently that contis have no nail or puncture deflection so buy the certificates or warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40,000 miles with no flats. Around here tire dealers won't sell me a warranty because of the complications related to replacing all 4 tires if one is ruined and the others are significantly worn.

Gotta say ... I think I'm going with the Conti DWS. Have 50k on my Extreme Contacts. All 4 wore nice and even, unfortunately I'm down to the wear bars. Yes, they can be a little loud, but the handling on wet and dry has always been great and they performed well in the New England snow. Definitely much better than the totally sucky Toyo Proxis tires that only lasted 15k!

40,000 miles with no flats. Around here tire dealers won't sell me a warranty because of the complications related to replacing all 4 tires if one is ruined and the others are significantly worn.

I can't get Discount tires to stop pushing the extended warranty on any tire set I buy. :eek:

these have been hands down the best tire I have ever owned and I liked them so much I put them on our two other cars. as someone stated, they may be Z rated but theyre still an all season tire so the sidewall will be less stiff than a true performance tire

I bought a set of '08 WRX wheels a week ago with Conti DWS (225/45 17). Haven't driven in any rain or snow yet but I like them so far. Even at 38/36 they feel softer than the Dunlop SP Sport Signatures I had on my stock wheels. I wouldn't say they are too soft, but then again I'd rather have a tire that absorbs bumps versus one where you feel every imperfection in the road. Here in PA, the pothole state, we have a lot of crappy roads.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived