LegacyGT.com

Continental ExtremeContact DWS Complete Garbage

LegacyFuture

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My tiny old school tire shop I purchased from actually filled them to 40psi F/38psi R as I double checked the work at home.

Nice!! i'm sure if i asked discount tire to fill it, they would. I drove on the freeway in drenching downpour today on the DWS's and love the wet traction they provide!! just FYI to others who bought this tire. my first impression in the rain is a positive one! starting to like the tire more and more!! now I just have to test them in the snow next winter.

The benefits to us stuck on the ground are really over played, the N2 tire filling is fine as long as it's no extra, but don't pay additional money for it.

^ Yep. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The biggest benefit of N2 fill compared to air is water (vapour) removal.

Any dry gas behaves more linearly than the same gas with moisture in it.

So it still be lower pressure in cold and higher in warm but in more predictable way.

Oh and ice should not form on TPMS sensor.

Krzys

• 11 months later...
So it's the second winter for my set of DWS, and I am remembering why I hate all seasons. They were great for season one, but now that they've got 18k miles on, I'm not too thrilled. I know this is typical of all seasons, but wow...They're freaking loud now too. I'll probably run them through summer, and buy something else this fall / winter. I wish I had the storage room to keep another set of winter wheels and tires, but my wife complains with all the car parts I am already storing.:lol:

• 11 months later...
My '05 came with new ones on it. These tires are junk. Went outside one morning and one was flat. Hole in the sidewall. Spent $130 on a replacement that had a sidewall blowout as well after 40 miles. Happily running Goodyears now, problem free. Unhappily fighting to get my money back for the defective DWS.

My '05 came with new ones on it. These tires are junk. Went outside one morning and one was flat. Hole in the sidewall. Spent $130 on a replacement that had a sidewall blowout as well after 40 miles. Happily running Goodyears now, problem free. Unhappily fighting to get my money back for the defective DWS.

wow, thats some bad luck.

had the extreme contacts before, and now have the dws.

ive run over several gigantic potholes at highway speed, and no bubbles or blowouts.

im 20k+ miles on the dws.

guess you just got a bad batch.

My wife clipped a high set man hole at one month in ownership with our Conti DWS. It caused a bubble. I called my tire guy, no worries he said they carry a 2/32" road hazard warranty from Continental. I just had to pay $20 for installation of new tire.

Sounds like you got burnt maybe?

• 7 months later...
Well that crap really hit the fan today and I left work early because of this. Being upset, I was really paying attention and nailed some rocks puncturing one of my Goodyears. So this will be my fifth tire replacement. I am debating buying a new Goodyear or putting the extra Continental tire back on. However, the other Continentals exploded....perhaps this is a bad idea?

I am running the dws on my stock wheels for the winters. I live in big bear lake. we get a bit of snow in the winter. I am very happy with their performance overall. They give tons of grip in the wet and snowy.. they are a very drastic change from my nitto 555's on my summer wheels. but they get the job done just fine.

Installed my last Continental. Lasted for 20 hours before it blew out. What a piece of crap. So I have had 5 and four blew = an 80% fail rate.

And I'm even more poed that someone charged a bunch crap to my Credit Card so I don't even have that to order a new Goodyear.

I've been driving on the dws for 3 years now and have gotten about 32k-35k miles on it. It has handle well for me all season. My tread life is about 40% now and it's getting a little noisy. I'm debating whether to get the same set or go with kumho pro 4x, which tirerack gave it a 1st place award recently. Based on the price, I'm might just try out the kumho tires. Bought my dws 3 years ago for $530 otd at discount tire and now it's going for $620 otd. Overall, I was happy with it.

• 8 months later...

I am going to resurrect this thread. I just got a set of the DWS extreme to replace a pair of shot cooper zeons that came on the car when i bought it. Now granted i have whiteline sways, kartboy endlinks, new H tech tein springs, and kyb struts all brand new and put on within 1000 miles of each other. The sidewall on these tires to say the least is SOFT, i drive pretty aggressive in my LGT going around a turn i find myself hitting the brake more than i used to. In the rain, UNSTOPPABLE and what we have had here in NY the last few weeks these have been a god send. Would i get them again? maybe not. I do have a dedicated winter setup so we will see how it goes, but ride and comfort these tires are great. Quiet on the highway and great in the rain and stopping.

Just my 2 cents.

Put these on my dad's Acura and they've been great. Probably one of the best performing tires in the rain I have ever driven (during all these nasty Chicago storms). I wouldn't trust them for more than 1 winter though...even if the gimmicky DWS indicators say you still can. I got about 33k out of them before switching to some Kuhmos on the Subaru and I've been much happier. Still don't trust them for more than 1 winter, but they are still quiet after 20k miles.

I am going to resurrect this thread. I just got a set of the DWS extreme to replace a pair of shot cooper zeons that came on the car when i bought it. Now granted i have whiteline sways, kartboy endlinks, new H tech tein springs, and kyb struts all brand new and put on within 1000 miles of each other. The sidewall on these tires to say the least is SOFT, i drive pretty aggressive in my LGT going around a turn i find myself hitting the brake more than i used to. In the rain, UNSTOPPABLE and what we have had here in NY the last few weeks these have been a god send. Would i get them again? maybe not. I do have a dedicated winter setup so we will see how it goes, but ride and comfort these tires are great. Quiet on the highway and great in the rain and stopping.

Just my 2 cents.

What PSI are you running?

Don't overinflate tires above manufacturer recommendations to make them better. It's like adding A1 to a steak to make it taste better. In the end, you're still eating a shitty piece of beef. Except A1 doesn't have the potential to kill you. I guess that's where my analogy breaks down.

I ran DWSs in Florida for the few months after I bought my Legacy. All-seasons, as indicated by the name, are a compromise by design. There is no reason to run all-seasons in southern states when there is ample availability of high-performance tires that do well in the wet. If you live in colder climates and have to deal with snow, then run snow tires. I lived in Maine for 20+ years, and when winter came around, I ran snow tires--sometimes, with studs. When I bought my STi 10 years ago, I ran some meaty Vredesteins, and man was that car fun in powder. Running all-seasons on any "performance-oriented" vehicle is a sacrifice. No two ways about it.

This subject comes up a lot. I understand why people buy all-season tires, but I've never been one of those people and don't see a time when I will be.

Tits mcgee

40/39 is within the safe specs based off the sidewall of the tire. Max PSI is something like 51.

In terms of Subaru recommended, they didn't quote those specs on the DWS tire. Even on the factory tires, the Subaru recommended PSI was too soft for my personal tastes.

All-Seasons are compromise for sure.

Archived