LegacyGT.com

Continental ExtremeContact DWS Complete Garbage

LegacyFuture

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just ordered these from discounttire.com and they price matched onlinetires.com for $380.53 shipped. This was just for tires and nothing else. They are out of stock at discounttire.com but I was not in a hurry. I was told 10-15 business days max before I see them at my door.

Just thought I let anyone looking for these tire know. I will update once I have them on the car.

I've had my DWS's on for about 1000 miles. I went from 215/45/17 Re92s to 225/45/17 DWS's. The first two things I noticed were that small road imperfections are absorbed by the thicker, softer sidewall which is nice. But the "caught in the cross-wind" feeling on the interstate is back. This feeling had faded away over time on my Re92s - I wasn't sure if that was due to my Cobb anti-sway bars or just treadwear or what - but that feeling is back. They are very confidence inspiring in the rain which is good. They do feel slightly more wiggly overall which I attribute to the taller, softer sidewall.

The only unique odd thing i've noticed about these tires is that during long sweeping curves, like on a clover-leaf exit or such, it seems like you can feel the tire progress through its different tread-block types. As you dig further into the curve the tire seems to grab on more tightly at some mid-point. Its not scary or anything but it is noticable.

When I bought these tires I was expecting to give up a little UHP for foul weather performance so i'm going to reserve final judgement until I get to test these out in some cold and snow.

Hanslo

Yeah I'm curious to hear reviews of the DWS in the snow. I had the old model contiextremes on last winter and they were great. I actually just use them as winters so I don't care about max handling.

The ContiExtremeContacts are pretty good for deep snow when compared to the rest of the UHPAS offerings.

I was just looking at your location and it seems you live pretty far up North. Maybe you should consider a performance winter tire like a Dunlop Wintersport 3D?

The ContiExtremeContacts are pretty good for deep snow when compared to the rest of the UHPAS offerings.

I was just looking at your location and it seems you live pretty far up North. Maybe you should consider a performance winter tire like a Dunlop Wintersport 3D?

The thing I don't like about winter tires is they are on all winter, and honestly we get maybe less than 10 days where we get any significant snowfall. So all those dry days the squishy winter tires are just being used up. For a FWD or RWD car I think winter tires make sense. For us AWD I favor all season tires that lean more to snow handling than high performance. Thats why I like the old contiextremes so much. After my set wears out I will have to see what the next best snow handling all season tire is.

I just got a set of DWS, 2154/45/17 last week. I previously had Kumho Ecsta ASX. I've noticed the DWS are quieter and have more grip by comparison. Haven't noticed any issues with mushiness or issues while steering. Of course, this is in comparison to another set of "ultra high performance" all-season tires.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Well, I got used to them. After I got wheel alignment it is much better. However, I prefer tires with thicker side walls.

And by the way guys, all of you overpaid.

Got mine for 80$ each.

60$ shipping, no tax. from onlinetires.com

Installation with balance, total $85. That's what hurts... not the tires but the installation costs....for 20 minutes of work > 85$

Got mine for 80$ each.

60$ shipping, no tax. from onlinetires.com

Installation with balance, total $85. That's what hurts... not the tires but the installation costs....for 20 minutes of work > 85$

WOW that's a really good price!! That's the first time I've seen them cheaper that the CECs which they have for $92/tire.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

And by the way guys, all of you overpaid.

So, now that you've gotten used to these "complete garbage" tires you're going to brag about how much you paid for them?

I bought them from Tire Rack and gladly paid more than you. If the Tire Rack hadn't gone to the trouble of testing these tires I wouldn't know that they are great in snow (for an all-season). The information the Tire Rack provides is worth the higher price for me -- it helps me know I'm getting the best tires for my needs.

Purchased a set of DWS from online tires and had them installed at discount tire here in utah. I was terrified when i first got into the car and took it out on the interstate...mushy as i'll get out. Got home, looked at the pressures Discount tire put in them... they were reading 30psi front 29 psi rear...and that's after they were warm from driving 25 miles home!

I increased the pressures to 39 front 40 rear, and it's like a whole new tire. Just got 8 inches of snow this weekend, and I have no reservations driving 10 miles to work, school and back. The RE92s are like wooden wagon wheels in comparison. I agree with darkfox in that i prefer a little more 'sticky' to my tire, but this is a compromise i don't mind making at all if they go 40k plus miles.

I have 900 miles with DWS on a 2000 Impreza RS.

In snow they are GREAT, better grip then Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S or RE960AS pole position. Family has 3 Subies, and 4 drivers. My 05'Lgt was Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S now RE960AS pole pos. 92'Legacy Sedan has RE960AS pole pos. Impreza was Pirelli Pzero now DWS. Each time we bought tires it was just before winter, for safety reasons. DWS has all 3 driver votes for best in snow. paid $105 each; installed & balanced with lifetime repair, & a 4 wheel align. Local garage rocks.

I am impressed with the prices people have gotten on the DWS tires. Tirerack has them for $112 each. I checked with our local America's Tire and they were around $132 each and around $650 mounted and balanced, no road hazard certificate. Wish we had more competition around here. If they last 40k+ miles and handle well, are quiet and have a nice ride, I won't mind paying a local business to take care of any issues down the road.

I just got them installed. They are great. I love them. Very quite ride, they seem no different then the Conti ExtremeContacts I had on there. I dont think they mushy at all.

For ME they have the right balance between sporty ride and comfort. As for traction in wet and snow that will take time to tell. So far so good. I will update after I put more miles on them.

^ +1. Haven't tried the old ExtremeContacts but rides a bit better than the stock Yokohama A82A they replaced.

I have them set at 40PSI so I dont feel mush at all, quite responsive actually. They've been awesome in the rain so far. I may get a chance to test it in the snow soon, forecast says it should snow on the weekend.

^^^...i don't envy you...when i lived in north van i hated driving in the lower mainland when it snowed.:lol: brings up a new meaning to the words "psycho drivers"

Don't you miss driving alongside the recently immigrated Asian moms with their poorly maintained Benz/BMW on summer tires sliding everywhere? But then again, they can barely drive properly in the dry to begin with... :rolleyes::spin:

Archived