LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

If you are speaking of the filtering option being backwards:

Apparently I messed up because slow is actually the fastest update rate (minimum filtering) and visa versa. Try re-configuring this option and select slow, this should give you a much faster response. Oops. I will get this updated in the next release of firmware. Thanks for helping to identify this issue.

This will be fixed in version 1.05b6 - You were shipped 1.05b5 (which is currently the latest version)

1.05b6 is in final testing stages and should be ready for release in a week or two.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to install it today, didn't take too long, only an extra 30mins due to LHD vs RHD differences.

i.e. the air by-pass valve is still on the left in the engine bay, so have to route tubing from right to left. I have a 6 speed manual so used johns method through the wheel well.

Most of the extra time was taken up thinking about what to do with the flex cable since my vent is opposite to the instructions.. I ended up having the flex cable exit out of the same side and then across the top and down past the vent control bar.

Here's a couple vids

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRv-Irtmt4E]Starup[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRmGvlvtXKA]Operation[/ame]

I finally got around to installing my wideband and gauge on Saturday. Everything seems to be working great, however the wideband AFR seems to be a bit strange... I'm running the PLX sm-AFR as recommended by many on here... It seems to jump around way more than you would expect and about .3 - .4 off of where it should be. For reference it seems to fluctuate around 14.3 - 14.4 with wild swings in both directions at times (13.8 - 15ish).

The wideband is located right at the bellmouth at my CNT downpipe if that matters. The sending unit and the PLX are on the same ground as well w/ the PLX wired to the IG2 and the sender unit on Unit IG2.

EDIT: On another note... Somehow my dimmer system doens't work any longer. WHen the headlights come on, none of my interior lights come on and the nav and gauge illumination doesn't dim. No idea what happened there, I was tired on Saturday and decided not to wire up the green wire to allow the VBG1 to work with the illumination system so I have no idea what happened.

Edited by mmmmspecb

So i have one of the first gen vbg. Lately it hasn't been doing the boost alarm. I even tried lowering the boost it would start at and still nothing. The buttons seems to push themselves and then freeze. I can push them myself unless i turn off the car and try again. Any insight?

mmmmspecb, do you have another display unit for the SM-AFR to verify if it's really a problem with the VBG1? Do you have more than one PLX sending unit in the data chain? The VBG1 should display exactly what the regular PLX display unit shows because it simply reads the serial data stream.

As for the illumination, i recommend going with the ambient light sensing. (you will not need any tie to the green wire) If you do not have any hookup to the illumination system then the vbg1 could never cause any issues with that system.

Verify that no wiring is attached to the illumination circuit of the car and check the fuse.

If your using a fuse tap (add-a-fuse) in the illumination fuse location (not sure why you would be) double check that both fuses are installed or it may disconnect the circuit. let us know how you make out.

Jimblaz, you have an original? do you know what version number? Some of the very early ones had a button lock issue. If you have an order number handy let me know and I will look some stuff up. We can work something out.

mmmmspecb, do you have another display unit for the SM-AFR to verify if it's really a problem with the VBG1? Do you have more than one PLX sending unit in the data chain? The VBG1 should display exactly what the regular PLX display unit shows because it simply reads the serial data stream.

As for the illumination, i recommend going with the ambient light sensing. (you will not need any tie to the green wire) If you do not have any hookup to the illumination system then the vbg1 could never cause any issues with that system.

Verify that no wiring is attached to the illumination circuit of the car and check the fuse.

If your using a fuse tap (add-a-fuse) in the illumination fuse location (not sure why you would be) double check that both fuses are installed or it may disconnect the circuit. let us know how you make out.

Jimblaz, you have an original? do you know what version number? Some of the very early ones had a button lock issue. If you have an order number handy let me know and I will look some stuff up. We can work something out.

Nope, I only have one PLX sending unit in the chain. I'm not saying it's a problem with the VBG-1 at all I'm just curious if this was normal for a plx sm-afr that is located where mine is. The only thing I can do to verify the data coming from the plx sender is to check it out while I have it plugged into my laptop/ romraider while I'm doing some datalogs...

It's curious as well how the plx powers up... I can see right away that the plx is connected by the "plx connect" or whatever the vbg1 displays. It then sits at 14.5 for several seconds, then cycles up very high, then very low... then I get live data.

Update to another pressing issue I was talking about in a previous post. I tried to datalog straight from the PLX unit to my laptop and romraider using the cable Lossol sells... and it didn't seem to work :( I'm going to keep trying to get it to work over the next few days but it's not looking good. I had the tactrix cable in 1 usb port and then the serial to usb port from the laptop to the "TX" port on the SM-AFR.

Hi,

any updates for the left center vent?

I'm superior what is the best place for the Gauges. My last Impreza and Forester has the Gauges in the middle of the dash. it is an habituation.

Maybe I'm the first owner in Germany?

Greets

Marcel

I tried to datalog straight from the PLX unit to my laptop and romraider using the cable Lossol sells... and it didn't seem to work I'm going to keep trying to get it to work over the next few days but it's not looking good. I had the tactrix cable in 1 usb port and then the serial to usb port from the laptop to the "TX" port on the SM-AFR.

Does romraider require a connection to the ECU first before it will log from PLUGINs? Also I'm thinking we need to reverse the tx-rx lines in order to log from the SM-AFR directly with the cable I sell. If you interested, pm me and I'll ship you an adapter for free to try out.

I tried here but I don't have the cable to connect to the ECU, so I'm thinking romraider is waiting for that connection first. I can get junk to display on Hyperterm with this adapter.

IMG_20120410_224426.thumb.jpg.14078edfae2d85aaedcdbbc32f306393.jpg

Does romraider require a connection to the ECU first before it will log from PLUGINs? Also I'm thinking we need to reverse the tx-rx lines in order to log from the SM-AFR directly with the cable I sell. If you interested, pm me and I'll ship you an adapter for free to try out.

I tried here but I don't have the cable to connect to the ECU, so I'm thinking romraider is waiting for that connection first. I can get junk to display on Hyperterm with this adapter.

Hmm, I don't know if that would work but I guess it may not hurt to try...

I'm digging through PLX and romraider forums as we speak. I beleive one of the issues was UART vs RS232. Apparently the plx needs UART and the cable I bought from you is RS232 (I think).

I'll keep reading and let you know what else I come up with.

Any other PLX users experience the wild fluctuation in AFR like I do.... and/or it reading lower than it should?

Wideband readings with my PLX has always been spot on using the VBG1, no fluctuations.

Not sure if this will help but I have the PLX serial to USB datalog cable and one thing I recently noticed is that it has an adapter on the serial end. I had to take that off to upload the latest firmware to the VBG, it would not work with it on. It just looks like a serial/serial adapter.

Wideband readings with my PLX has always been spot on using the VBG1, no fluctuations.

Not sure if this will help but I have the PLX serial to USB datalog cable and one thing I recently noticed is that it has an adapter on the serial end. I had to take that off to upload the latest firmware to the VBG, it would not work with it on. It just looks like a serial/serial adapter.

Where do you have your wb located? Mine is located about 3 inches downstream from the turbo, where the CNT pipes put them... I don't knwo if that has anything to do with it.

Where do you have your wb located? Mine is located about 3 inches downstream from the turbo, where the CNT pipes put them... I don't knwo if that has anything to do with it.

Definitely not optimal, but shouldn't be the reason for the fluctuations.

Mine is up at the bell mouth as well, slightly off centered due to the divorced waste gate on my pipe but in the same general area as the CNT bungs.

I finally got around to installing my wideband and gauge on Saturday. Everything seems to be working great, however the wideband AFR seems to be a bit strange... I'm running the PLX sm-AFR as recommended by many on here... It seems to jump around way more than you would expect and about .3 - .4 off of where it should be. For reference it seems to fluctuate around 14.3 - 14.4 with wild swings in both directions at times (13.8 - 15ish).

I re-read your post... your seeing this happen during normal driving right? I wouldn't call that wild swings if your just cruising around. If your seeing big swings at WOT then I would be concerned.

Keep working on your cable issue so you can log, that will tell you if there's a problem or not.

I re-read your post... your seeing this happen during normal driving right? I wouldn't call that wild swings if your just cruising around. If your seeing big swings at WOT then I would be concerned.

Keep working on your cable issue so you can log, that will tell you if there's a problem or not.

No no, WOT stays much more stable. I'm referring to closed loop operation, idle, cruise etc. I

No no, WOT stays much more stable. I'm referring to closed loop operation, idle, cruise etc. I

Isn't there a programmed oscillation for emissions reasons? Not sure of the magnitude, but it only happens in closed-loop, right? In open loop, e.g. WOT, the oscillations should disappear?