LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

1.05b, it seems to happen between decel coming off boost, which is also the hardest time for me to see what's doing it. Something like accelerating at a decent clip in 2nd or 3rd, and then traffic stopping and me jumping on the brakes to stop.

I'll update to the latest firmware if you want and see if it goes away. The only thing I can think is that the voltage alarm values got "stuck" somehow even though they're off now? Not sure.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more question, what boost filtering option are you using? There was a small problem with 1.05b that should of been fixed by version 1.05b2.

I didn't change it, but I don't recall the default. I will check next time I'm in the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lossol, I am trying to order the RHD GTbootgaage and accessories from your online store however it won't let me, says we not shipping to your region at this time. I am in New Zealand, we are next to Australia :)

Sent you email about it.

Has anyone installed the RHD model in a 2006 JDM Legacy Spec B?

One more question, what boost filtering option are you using? There was a small problem with 1.05b that should of been fixed by version 1.05b2.

By the way, I haven't been around much to follow up, but it's 1.05b2 and the boost filtering is on "low".

I turned the boost alarm off entirely, and it hasn't gone off since. Very strange that I was tripping it. I had the alarm for it set at 20psi, and have definitely never seen a boost peak register over 16.x. It's incredibly rare to see over 15.4, which would tell me it's reading accurate and my tune is behaving.

Should be working now...... :)

Thanks ordered :)

I noted that on johnAWD install he used larger tubing from the engine bay to the drivers Wheel well where he then used a reducer to connect the nylon tubing through to the cabin.

Is this what everyone is doing with the GTboost Gauge, or are you taking the nylon tubing right into the engine bay?

By the way, I haven't been around much to follow up, but it's 1.05b2 and the boost filtering is on "low".

I turned the boost alarm off entirely, and it hasn't gone off since. Very strange that I was tripping it. I had the alarm for it set at 20psi, and have definitely never seen a boost peak register over 16.x. It's incredibly rare to see over 15.4, which would tell me it's reading accurate and my tune is behaving.

Yeah this was a potential bug in the original 1.05b1 release. I am not seeing the issue with version 1.05b5 - I have my alarm set for 17 PSI for weeks and have not had false alarms. I am not monitoring AFR, Are you?

taking the nylon tubing right into the engine bay?

Yeah pretty sure most are, this DOT rated air tube and should hold up well over time.

Lossol I didn't see a temp probe on the site else I would've ordered that too

I have been thinking about discontinuing them, I have only sold a few and AFR or OIL pressure is much more popular.

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

I'm not monitoring AFR, just voltage right now. I still need to get my DP tapped/welded for the sensor for the AFR. I'll upgrade to 1.05b5 and set my alarm back to 18psi and see if it comes back.

I am running the tubing through the fender gap as johnAWD's method describes. I did wrap the opening in the sheet metal with electrical tape because it is very very sharp, and the tubing can move around in there. If I can find a grommet that will fit, I'll likely install one in the opening to hold the tubing in place (a larger piece of tubing is a good idea, I just didn't have any around). Despite being DOT rated air tube I would actually expect this to get damaged there -- it's a very sharp edge and there's a lot of potential for it to move around even when zip tied in place. You definitely need to protect it if you run it through that opening.

If you run it through a firewall grommet as fulton said (very very easy on 5EATs, not so much on MTs) you would have no concerns at all.

Edited by ShadowImg

Margin of error for the VBG1 should be +/- 0.1 AFR.

I good way to check this out is use a volt meter directly at the input to the VBG1 sending unit and measure the AFR voltage. I just double checked and 13.1AFR should read about 1.6V and 14.1 AFR should read about 2.1V

if the cobb is connected to the same analog output, the cobb may be current stealing. If the Cobb and VBG1 are on different analog output channels the ground potential could be different if they are not tied an the same spot.

The LC-1 configs should look like this:

[ATTACH]111237[/ATTACH]

Wiring:

[ATTACH]111238[/ATTACH]

2.4 Volts should give you 14.7 AFR if your getting 13.7 the input at the VBG1 should read somthing real close to 1.9V at the input to the VBG1.

lossol,

I checked the voltage coming from the LC-1 today. Just unplugged the wiring plug to the sending unit and measured it.

I am getting 2.37 volts.

Any ideas why mine would not be reading 14.7 like it should?

Could have something to do with the hardware, my records show you are running a beta unit, although betas should be identical to the production units, they are hand assembled so there may be an error in your AFR sensing circuit.

I can ship you out a new one this week (display unit only) if you PM me your address.

Sorry for the troubles.

Could have something to do with the hardware, my records show you are running a beta unit, although betas should be identical to the production units, they are hand assembled so there may be an error in your AFR sensing circuit.

I can ship you out a new one this week (display unit only) if you PM me your address.

Sorry for the troubles.

Well you were correct! I replaced my beta display unit with the one you sent and my AFR is now 14.6-14.7 spot ON!

Does the one you sent have the latest and greatest software on it?

Thanks Again for the quick shipment PERFECT Customer Service.

Great Vendor, Great Product...+100000000

I love it!

Ill send you the beta one back to the return address on the box.

Edited by Scooby2.5

Oh man. I just went through this whole thread, and I can't wait to get my hands on one of the gauges. I can also thank the feedback from various people for helping me decide what wideband setup to go with. I'm likely going to get the wideband and tune BEFORE the gauge due to funds, but once it's all together it'll be freaking sweet.

One thing I didn't see mentioned anywhere, and I'm having a hard time finding: Where is a good place to tape into the vacuum line if you're running a 50/50 BOV? I'm not sure if the line off the BOV is still appropriate since part of the pressure is being released to the atmosphere.

Quality product you've got here, lossol. Well done! :hobbes:

Does the one you sent have the latest and greatest software on it?

Yup - sure does. In a few weeks I will be released the latest rev which will include some minor bug fixes with the oled timeout, and screen/led intensity (slightly improved bright - sunlight reading), and some few other minor tweaks.

Where is a good place to tape into the vacuum line if you're running a 50/50 BOV?

Aken, not sure about that one, but hopefully someone here will chime in. Thanks for your interest in the VBG1.

Just got my vbg1 and am loving it.

Just curious with the lc-1 readout though.

It seems as though it takes a while for the afr display to swing to air (20ish) after letting off to coast in gear when compared to taking a reading from logworks or romraider.

In logworks or romraider, it will almost instantly swing to 20, but the vbg slowly swings across through the scale (like 14.7, 15, 16, 17...) before reaching the 20.

Is there a built in delay in the vbg1 or is this a limit of the lc-1's analog output (since serial seems to update quickly)?

Should I ditch the lc-1 and get a plx:lol:?

I'm just concerned that the output is being filtered before being displayed, and that some quick spikes and dips in the afr would not be displayed during quickly changing fueling conditions.

The other thing I noticed is that while sitting with the engine off, sometimes vac will show about 5 or 10mmhg instead of 0... I don't really care too much but was just wondering why this happens.

Loving the gauge though, I can't believe I waited so long to get one!:)

technicalgarage - Thanks for the feedback. I have some answers for you.

VBG1 provides an optional filtering option called "update rate" menu option # 14. You probably have found that menu option...I have noticed there is a problem with that menu configuration. Apparently I messed up because slow is actually the fastest update rate (minimum filtering) and visa versa. Try re-configuring this option and select slow, this should give you a much faster response. Oops. I will get this updated in the next release of firmware. Thanks for helping to identify this issue.

Most of the customer are likely operating with English units of vac and pressure so they probably don't notice this, but since the typical error is specified in the manual is +/- 0.25 PSI when you view mmHg your display unit resolution allows you to see that offset error. 10mmHg = 0.19PSI - in English units that value would display as 0.

Andy, Mine was doing the above as well. Was this fixed in the latest software or is it being fixed for the next revision?

I haven't tried it yet on the new display you just sent me that fixed my AFR problem.

Edited by Scooby2.5