LegacyGT.com

Vent Boost Gauge (Digital Led Bars & numerics)

lossol

Here is the exact cable I sell on the website:

p/n TTL-232R-3V3-AJ

It is a 3.3V USB to SERIAL converter with a 3.5MM PLUG

There is a good chance other manufactures are using a similar cable, be careful they are not using the 5V signaling type though. I can only guarantee success with part number I specify.

I like the plx interface better too. In fact I'm going to try to support PLX oil senders as well. I believe I have found the bug with the PLX power up issue and will probably have an update to the firmware out by Monday.

Also I am 99% sure that plx cable they are selling on the website is available at digikey: Also I believe it's Identical to the programming cable I sell.

http://www.plxdevices.com/datalogger.html

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/TTL-232R-3V3-AJ/768-1098-ND/2285997

or mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/TTL-232R-3V3-AJ/?qs=Xb8IjHhkxj4CJ2SCCMHPLQ%3d%3d

VBG1 gauges available at www.gtboostgauge.com

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my vbg1 and am loving it.

Just curious with the lc-1 readout though.

It seems as though it takes a while for the afr display to swing to air (20ish) after letting off to coast in gear when compared to taking a reading from logworks or romraider.

In logworks or romraider, it will almost instantly swing to 20, but the vbg slowly swings across through the scale (like 14.7, 15, 16, 17...) before reaching the 20.

Is there a built in delay in the vbg1 or is this a limit of the lc-1's analog output (since serial seems to update quickly)?

Should I ditch the lc-1 and get a plx:lol:?

I'm just concerned that the output is being filtered before being displayed, and that some quick spikes and dips in the afr would not be displayed during quickly changing fueling conditions.

The other thing I noticed is that while sitting with the engine off, sometimes vac will show about 5 or 10mmhg instead of 0... I don't really care too much but was just wondering why this happens.

Loving the gauge though, I can't believe I waited so long to get one!:)

technicalgarage - Thanks for the feedback. I have some answers for you.

Is there a built in delay in the vbg1 or is this a limit of the lc-1's analog output (since serial seems to update quickly)?

VBG1 provides an optional filtering option called "update rate" menu option # 14. You probably have found that menu option...I have noticed there is a problem with that menu configuration. Apparently I messed up because slow is actually the fastest update rate (minimum filtering) and visa versa. Try re-configuring this option and select slow, this should give you a much faster response. Oops. I will get this updated in the next release of firmware. Thanks for helping to identify this issue.

The other thing I noticed is that while sitting with the engine off, sometimes vac will show about 5 or 10mmhg instead of 0... I don't really care too much but was just wondering why this happens.

Most of the customer are likely operating with English units of vac and pressure so they probably don't notice this, but since the typical error is specified in the manual is +/- 0.25 PSI when you view mmHg your display unit resolution allows you to see that offset error. 10mmHg = 0.19PSI - in English units that value would display as 0.

Can anybody else confirm that the cable lossol sells will work and is compatible w/ romraider for logging purposes??

What are you plugging the other end into?

I can confirm it will not be compatible with an OBD2 port, or an AccessPort. I don't believe you can datalog off the VBG1 itself, though that's an interesting feature request.

What are you plugging the other end into?

I can confirm it will not be compatible with an OBD2 port, or an AccessPort. I don't believe you can datalog off the VBG1 itself, though that's an interesting feature request.

From the PLX module to a laptop. I don't have the PLX unit yet so my ignorance may be showing... How is everybody else here logging their AFR wideband data?

Can anybody else confirm that the cable lossol sells will work and is compatible w/ romraider for logging purposes??

I was able to update the firmware on my VBG1 using the $$$ PLX usb serial cable. With that said maybe we can assume one of the cheaper cables that lossol sells may just work to datalog the PLX. You should be the guinea pig.

If it works ill be pissed that I spent so much on a damn cable:spin:

jayway - you are probably right. Yeah like I said before I am almost 100% sure about this:

It is a simple virtual communication port - also plx specifies that their interface is 3.3 Volts. These cables come in two different voltage levels. 3.3 and 5. VBG1 operates on the 3.3 v signals

Also I am 99% sure that plx cable they are selling on the website is available at digikey: Also I believe it's Identical to the programming cable I sell.

http://www.plxdevices.com/datalogger.html

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/TTL-232R-3V3-AJ/768-1098-ND/2285997

or mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/TTL-232R-3V3-AJ/?qs=Xb8IjHhkxj4CJ2SCCMHPLQ%3d%3d

Small update on my end, have one of the first beta units of the latest version, and still going strong!

When having a small question or when in doubt, Andy replies to his emails extremely fast, for the ones that are hesitating, don't, this is the "boost gauge" to have!

JP

One interesting thing w/ the PLX is every so often (usually in cruise on the HWY) the PLX readout will go from a single decimal place, to 2 decimal place. I don;t know why and it seems random, but always cruise in vacuum...
:spin:

I still randomly have an alarm going off, and I turned everything off but overboost (which is set at 20psi). I'm definitely not legitimately hitting 20psi at any point (stock turbo, stage 1 OTS, peaking at ~15psi), and I've never seen a BP after saying anything over 16.x PSI. Any thoughts on how I can figure out what alarm I'm setting off and what the value was that triggered it?

Sorry ShadowImg - didn't know this issue was still in existence. I will try and get it fixed...

Do you know what version you are running? 1.05b?

Does it go off during boost or vac?

Anyone else see this issue and if so what version are you running?