LegacyGT.com

the 3rd Gen pic thread...

Run negative camber in the front. Get WRX control arms for a cheap, 20mm wider front track, run even thicker front swaybar (yes it WILL help).

Actually you are incorrect. Adding a bigger front sway bar will create understeer if you don't upgrade the rear. Even if you upgrade both, the upgraded front sway will still create understeer. It's not a good setup I you want to increase your speed around a corner ;)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually you are incorrect. Adding a bigger front sway bar will create understeer if you don't upgrade the rear. Even if you upgrade both, the upgraded front sway will still create understeer. It's not a good setup I you want to increase your speed around a corner ;)

Tell that to class-winning WRX's in SCCA autocross. Some of them run up to 32mm front swaybars. It has to do with the macpherson front suspension and its crappy camber curve that turns positive on compression. A big swaybar basically prevents the compression and helps keep the front end gripping.

Most people probably haven't run a thick ENOUGH front swaybar to experience this.

Higher rear end will transfer weight differently Than a vehicle with a level ride height. It takes less with the rear end raked to get it to come around. I should have mentioned I have the dampening on my fronts maxxed out and the rear at 2/3.

Like I said, the actual height (or as you put it, "rake") of the front or back has no *direct* correlation with understeer/oversteer. You have a higher spring rate in the front, less suspension travel, and higher strut settings in the front - those things in of themselves will reduce understeer.

Edited by rougeben83

Tell that to class-winning WRX's in SCCA autocross. Some of them run up to 32mm front swaybars. It has to do with the macpherson front suspension and its crappy camber curve that turns positive on compression. A big swaybar basically prevents the compression and helps keep the front end gripping.

Most people probably haven't run a thick ENOUGH front swaybar to experience this.

I think you are getting confused my friend. This was what I said:

With that perfectly said, an upgraded Front Sway Bar will NOT increase your speed around a corner. It will increase your turn-in response. Great for autocrossers, but NOT great for increasing your speed while holding a turn. See what I'm trying to explain?

I think you are getting confused my friend. This was what I said:

With that perfectly said, an upgraded Front Sway Bar will NOT increase your speed around a corner. It will increase your turn-in response. Great for autocrossers, but NOT great for increasing your speed while holding a turn. See what I'm trying to explain?

Last time I went to racing school, inducing more oversteer doesn't increase your cornering speed either. Care to explain? Because youre still limited by the traction circle of your tires. Read my statement again. By keeping the tires from getting into the positive area of the camber curve, you're able to retain more front end grip...last time I checked, front grip is good in all parts of the turn - not just turn-in. Try it yourself and you'll feel the car rotating in tight, mid-speed corners.

Autocrossers are the extreme of this scenario, but you can easily apply this to a street setup.

We're both trying to make suggestions to reduce understeer. Lets not turn this into who is lecturing who.

your bone stock miata is going to stuck in 6'' of snow, than im gonna toe it with my legacy.

Its tow, unless you plan on kicking it with your leggy.

uploadfromtaptalk1369668910422.jpg.b70ed7339abc2f6d7182db6e4841f072.jpg

Little rainy day cell phone action.

My shop.. our back lot. The sti is a co workers, beetle is my fiances. Elantra is some loaf I towed in haha.. and behind me is all our miatas..

I once knew a guy in Florida who swapped a cobra engine into his miata. Thing was freaking fast

The ford 302 and the ls1 are common v8 swaps.

My buddy and I are gonna boost his BP block in his na miata. Has a 6 spd from a nb mazdaspeed miata. Gonna be a sick little car.

There is a reason skip barber uses them, perfect 50/50 weight distro from the factory!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...