LegacyGT.com

2006 Lexus IS350

• 5 months later...

Just sharing some Info: found this on Freshalloy.com:

I found this on ClubLexus posted by jlin101:

Quote:

The Oct issue of C&D has a $35k sports sedan comparison with BMW 330i at #1, followed by the IS350 at #2, then Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Audi A4, Cadillac CTS, Volvo S60R and Saab 9-2. I was excited to see that although the IS trailed the bimmer by 1 point (due mostly to poor rear seat room/comfort), it was by far the fastest in all the acceleration and braking tests. How about 0-60 in 5.1 (the next quickest were TL and G35 at 5.9), and 1/4 mile in less than 14 s at 104 mph--all this with a no-brainer auto tranny (no danger of stalling the engine or frying the clutch). Even the 5-60 rolling start clocked in at 5.3. All but the IS and A4 used manual trans. The only area the IS did not do as well was slalom and cornering, due to the undefeatable stability control. Hopefully these numbers reflect the production run and not some pre-production anomaly.

The comparo is not on C&D website yet... I'll try finding the magazine...

Link: Freshalloy

Link: IS Promotional Website: (lists 0-60 in 5.6s)

It really looks good and will be a potent performer, but every rich-kid in town will be owning it within 2 weeks of it's arrival.

Vancouver is crazy for everything BMW, Lexus, Acura.

I love being unique with the GT wagon, and also love the fact that it's so much more mod-friendly with the turbo engine ready to be unleashed.

i saw one on the road. just one. it didnt look like the new gs so im assuming it was it. the thing is big. nothing like the old is300. my bet is that even though the old one may have been slower, it handles better, and more fun to drive then the new one.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

There is no doubt the new IS 350 will be a class leader. I thought via pre-release press that a nicely optioned IS 350 was going to be priced very close to the 330i, which is to say easily in excess of $40k (They just don't come to the dealer lots stripped down).

One would think that superlative performance and interior quality are expected at these price points. Going from a LGT to an IS 350 is essentially getting into a luxury / performance sedan and raising the bar (and emptying your wallet).

But Road and Track also tested the car here in So. Cal on a 93 degree day.

It was probably also a low mileage version.

I also don't think R/T "corrects" their times for "ideal" atmospheric conditions

like Car and Driver does.

The 280 hp Toyota Avalon with the same engine (but not tuned to the 306 hp the IS350 gets) and a 5 speed auto (not 6 speed like the IS350 gets) ripped off

a 0-60 in 6.0 seconds.

The IS350 is easily a low to mid 5's car to 60 and high 13's to low 14's car in the 1/4 on a nice cool day.

The IS350 is in a totally different price range, 37 - 42k.......I would take an 06 GT limited for 30k, put 4k worth of mods on it & laugh all the way to the bank;)

Oh & by the way that 37-42k IS350 would not have a chance against it!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

no AWD + no MT = no Lexus for me

Well, I really want the rwd. If this car was available in a manual, I'd be all over it. In fact I am going to consider replacing my A4 with a manual IS250, if I can find one. Also considering the 2002-05 330Ci, definately leaning toward the latter.

If not, then you are running the wrong tires. Unquestionably.

Sorry, but I know from many years of experience living in snowy climates that you are wrong. We use to run studded tires on our RWD cars when I was younger and they still didn't approach the traction of even a FWD car.

For poor-weather traction:

AWD>FWD>RWD

Period.

Sorry, but I know from many years of experience living in snowy climates that you are wrong. We use to run studded tires on our RWD cars when I was younger and they still didn't approach the traction of even a FWD car.

For poor-weather traction:

AWD>FWD>RWD

Period.

True, but a modern RWD car with traction control and good snow tires should still be ok in the winter, not nearly as good as awd or fwd but useable. (I live in winterland too)..

400hp beasts and solid rear axle cars excluded ;)

Archived