LegacyGT.com

If you were buying a car to replace your 05 LGT...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If were to total my LGT wagon and need a new car replacement, the only real option I'd consider is an 09+ WRX 5-door because Subaru has gotten out of the wagon business in the U.S. :( The STi isn't worth nearly $10k more than the similarly performing WRX 5-door. Neither the Audi A3 nor A4 Avant are available w/ AWD and a manual transmission. The 328xi wagon is a overpriced, overweight for its compact size, and slow. The 535xi 6MT wagon is $55k+. :eek: Alternatively, I might even forego AWD and performance altogether and go w/ a Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT.

Guest heightsgtltd

I can't get into the WRX 5 door. While I appreciate the performance, I don't like the shape, materials, refinement, etc. I wish I could as I think my next car will be a wagon and I really want to go AWD again

Have you tried the A3 or A4 with the DSG? It's not a manual but it is pretty nice.

I will be looking this spring I want a suv/crossover or maybe a truck to be able to pull a trailer/pop-up camper.

I really want the 2010 ecoboost Ford Flex (same drivetrain as SHO) New ones I was looking at are like 45K.

Other options include:

Audi Q5

MBenz GLK350

Volvo XC60 T6

09+ VW Touareg TDI

08+ GMC Sierra Crew Cab Diesel

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

I spent a lot of time on this question before deciding to pour $ into my 05 LGT for performance upgrades. If I had the cash, S4, but I don't. I'd look at the Mazdaspeed 3, but I really like the AWD confidence when I'm blasting thru winter's nastiness and I hate even small amounts of torque steer -not to mention that ridiculous smiley-face grill design.

I'm one of the apparently very few who likes the idea of a hatch for the WRX/STi. If I could get a STi with heated leather and a moonroof I might have to do it, but I can't so that would leave me with the WRX Premium. The car is fast as hell but the interior just doesn't measure up to the more lux feel of the LGT and I might be too old (40) for that scene. I want a car that can rip through the curves and pull up to the valet at the Capitol Grille in the same trip.

I decided to go the upgrade route on my 05. Now that I'm payment free, I'll start eyeballing the new toys (CT Int'l Car show this weekend) but I think I'm going to stay with the 05 for a few more years. I'll be watching the new LGT design carefully and reading all the +/-'s posted here. Good luck with your search.

I can't get into the WRX 5 door. While I appreciate the performance, I don't like the shape, materials, refinement, etc. I wish I could as I think my next car will be a wagon and I really want to go AWD again

Have you tried the A3 or A4 with the DSG? It's not a manual but it is pretty nice.

I like the WRX 5-door, especially in black or dark grey. It's not as good looking as the BP LGT wagon, but it has a nice "Euro" look to it that I like.

I really like the way A3s look and I'd consider an A3 TDI if they offered it with a MT or quattro. (It's only available in FWD w/ the DSG.) I'd consider the A4 Avant w/ a DSG if Audi offered it with the TDI. I'd give up a MT for the economy of the TDI provided I can get AWD in exchange. In other words, I'd be willing to give up either MT or AWD, but not both, if I could get the TDI.

I will be looking this spring I want a suv/crossover or maybe a truck to be able to pull a trailer/pop-up camper.

I really want the 2010 ecoboost Ford Flex (same drivetrain as SHO) New ones I was looking at are like 45K.

Other options include:

Audi Q5

MBenz GLK350

Volvo XC60 T6

09+ VW Touareg TDI

08+ GMC Sierra Crew Cab Diesel

How much is your trailer or pop up camper going to weigh? Just curious because you have a bunch of vehicles listed that might pull 5000lbs or so, and then one that will pull like 13,500lbs.:lol:

You might want to figure that out ahead of time, because as a truck owner I can tell you that a GMC Sierra 2500 with a Duramax is an expensive, heavy, and thirsty beast. At $7,000 just for the motor option if you are not towing heavy trailers frequently, or hauling heavy loads in the box I would seriously not look into a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. When those big bastards are not hauling or towing they ride like a lumber wagon.

If your trailer can be handled by the other vehicles but you would rather get a truck buy a 1/2 ton. You'll save a ton of money, have more than enough capacity, and won't rattle the fillings out your teeth on rough roads running empty. If on the other hand none of the other vehicles you have listed will tow or haul what you need or want to move, then nothing but a 3/4 ton truck will likely do.

What do all you Wagon/5 Door people think about the new 2010 Ralliart Sportback? I would like to see what tuning options are avaliable and how much torque the SST can really handle.

Despite how much I love the SST, and regardless of power, the econobox feel might drive me crazy. The savings in cash over a 335xi would more then pay a decent amount of mods though...

How much is your trailer or pop up camper going to weigh? Just curious because you have a bunch of vehicles listed that might pull 5000lbs or so, and then one that will pull like 13,500lbs.:lol:

You might want to figure that out ahead of time, because as a truck owner I can tell you that a GMC Sierra 2500 with a Duramax is an expensive, heavy, and thirsty beast. At $7,000 just for the motor option if you are not towing heavy trailers frequently, or hauling heavy loads in the box I would seriously not look into a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. When those big bastards are not hauling or towing they ride like a lumber wagon.

If your trailer can be handled by the other vehicles but you would rather get a truck buy a 1/2 ton. You'll save a ton of money, have more than enough capacity, and won't rattle the fillings out your teeth on rough roads running empty. If on the other hand none of the other vehicles you have listed will tow or haul what you need or want to move, then nothing but a 3/4 ton truck will likely do.

+1

I bought a used F250 crew short bed for towing a horse trailer and hauling motorcycles occasionally. I used to have a full sized SUV, but found it was a better solution to get a truck for occasional use and a regular sized car as a DD.

The gas savings, convenience and comfort made this a much better solution than having an SUV for me.

Ray

Unfortunately I've still got 2 years on my loan, so if I had to replace mine it would probably be with another slightly newer LGT.

I'm hoping that when the loan is over and I've saved some money for a year or two that a used Lancer Ralliart/Evo X, Genesis Coupe, Audi A4 wagon, Subaru/Toyota Coupe, or Infiniti G37 may be in the future.

On that note, my choices seem pretty popular, has anyone compared insurance costs between their LGT and any of the cars I mentioned?

What do all you Wagon/5 Door people think about the new 2010 Ralliart Sportback? I would like to see what tuning options are avaliable and how much torque the SST can really handle.

Decent looking, but not very practical with that sloping hatch design. It's also overweight (3,500 lbs. vs. 3,200 lbs.) and underpowered (237 hp vs. 265 hp) compared to the 5-door WRX.

Decent looking, but not very practical with that sloping hatch design. It's also overweight (3,500 lbs. vs. 3,200 lbs.) and underpowered (237 hp vs. 265 hp) compared to the 5-door WRX.

I totally agree. My problem however is that stop and go traffic is driving my left foot nuts with my commute on the 5mt on my LGT. The WRX doesn't come with a 5eat, nor would I want it if it's the same piece of garbage that comes the LGT.

The Impreza GT is not impressive, and is much slower then the WRX.

The SST is a beautiful transmission (if it's the same one from the EVO X). Not to mention cross shopping Insurance between the Ralliart and the WRX was sickening...twice as much for the WRX (the Ralliart was only slightly more than the Lancer GTS)

The new Caddy commercial has me loving the CTS coupe and the CTS wagon/thing.

I'll have to check them out in person when they're out.

I could certainly see myself in a CTS 'something' as my next car... just have to get over my fear of 'Buying American'.:eek:

The new Caddy commercial has me loving the CTS coupe and the CTS wagon/thing.

I really liked the CTS wagon until I found out it was 200 lbs heavier than the CTS sedan. :eek: 4,200 lbs for a RWD smallish wagon. It has less interior space than the BP LGT wagon and weighs 800 lbs more in 2WD mode. :(

Archived