LegacyGT.com

If you were buying a car to replace your 05 LGT...

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is your price range?

Do you have to have AWD?

Do you need four doors?

Do you want to stay with a car?

I've got an idea as to what i'm looking for (335xi) but i'm more curious as to what other people are cross shopping for as they're reaching 'that time' to find a new car.

I would really like to keep the AWD functionality... if that wasn't a necessity, I would definitely be considering the G8 GXP.

I've got an idea as to what i'm looking for (335xi) but i'm more curious as to what other people are cross shopping for as they're reaching 'that time' to find a new car.

I would really like to keep the AWD functionality... if that wasn't a necessity, I would definitely be considering the G8 GXP.

If you can afford one a 335xi is a great car, if you can keep from optioning up too much a new Audi S4 might also be a good bet. Both are seriously underrated in the power department (as in they make way more than claimed :icon_twis).

I personally replaced the LGT in 2007 with a Toyota Tundra limited double cab 4X4 with the 5.7L V8 and 6 speed auto. Haven't regretted it one bit, not even for an instant. I'll probably keep the Tundra for a long time and get another car as a DD in the future, but I will not be without a truck of some sort again if I can help it.

I'm not going to buy any more new cars -- only used from now on.

My next ride will be a Mercedes S600, to go with the LGT instead of replacing it. Nice examples are available for under $30k. With just a tune it's an easy way to get a 5 passenger sedan that runs 11s.

Of course I'd prefer the S65 version but it costs double and I just can't justify that -- much less pay for it!!

when shopping for my LGT i had a few other cars i was looing at.

mercedes C300 sport ( more $$ than LGT but very nice for the $$ )

2009 Camaro ( long waiting list and 1st yr prod. bugs kept me away )

honda accord ex-l coupe ( price comparable to LGT but no play on price )

bmw 335 ( nicely equipped but pricey w/ X Drive option )

now if i was looking right now i would either buy a 370z or a preowned bmw 550

335i is a MUCH better bet then the XI. The awd system in the BMW is far to write home about.

Many of my friends have switched from subies to s2000's and 335i's with winter tires and have had no problems heading up to Vermont snowboarding.

I'm hoping to hold on to the lgt until the Tesla Model S has been out for a couple of years and hopefully shows some positive reliability ratings. If I had to replace the LGT today I would probably either buy another one or a '10 WRX if I wanted to buy new.

This car is so hot...

http://img.worldcarfans.com/2009/3/large/tesla-model-s---hi-res_1.jpg

My next ride will be a Mercedes S600, to go with the LGT instead of replacing it. Nice examples are available for under $30k. With just a tune it's an easy way to get a 5 passenger sedan that runs 11s.

Just save your pennies for when it comes to maintenance. And buy a CPO'd one if possible.;)

I think you really have to take a look at the new SHO. AWD, 365 hp, 350 tq, 3.5 twin turbo. Claimed to meet or exceed BMW 550i performance (4.8 s. 0-60), under $40K maxxed out.

Unfortunately Haldex AWD, but the price performance point looks like it is going to be tough to beat.

Ray

Because of the oil pick-up tube issue, this is something I might have to do anyway, so here is where I am at:

The conditions:

I need a winter driver; something with room for kids;it has to fit in the garage.

The "Not gonna happen" list with reasons:

a) I can't afford a BMW or an Audi.

b) Any of the American cars are out for various reasons.

c+d) I would consider Honda, but they don't have AWD in their cars (Acura ruled themselves out with that fugly TS of theirs and anything else is overpriced).

the "List":

1) an '09 Outback 2.5 XT (I don't care for the '10 look for this car and would replace the pick-up tube immediately)

2) a '10 Forester 2.5 XT (I would check to see if I have to replace the pick-up tube)

3) Infiniti M35x used

4) Maybe a G37x used if it isn't too small inside...

Just save your pennies for when it comes to maintenance. And buy a CPO'd one if possible.;)

My brother has a CL65 AMG so it's not news to me :D

I don't plan to follow their Revenue Generating Schedule, er, I mean "service interval" either. The standard "B Service" can cost $3-500 and is basically an oil change and "inspecting" the rest of the car. No thanks! I can change the oil and I don't need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to eyeball hinges, coolant level, and the like.

I'd like the new Fisker. We'll see how that pans out. I only get 240 miles to a tank on my STI, so, having something fun and efficient appeals to me (and with four doors or a usable back seat for my daughter). The cost of fuel in the STI doesn't bother me, its the mundane daily commute where 18mpg on premium seems like a waste.

My brother has a CL65 AMG so it's not news to me :D

I don't plan to follow their Revenue Generating Schedule, er, I mean "service interval" either. The standard "B Service" can cost $3-500 and is basically an oil change and "inspecting" the rest of the car. No thanks! I can change the oil and I don't need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to eyeball hinges, coolant level, and the like.

You don't have to tell me. I worked for them for about 6 months. And hopefully will return shortly, but, that's a different story. I was more hinting at brakes and the like. Big car with big power means big stopping power. And those cars destroy tires quite easily, too as I'm sure your brother knows. Anything in the 220 chassis is far from being cheap in my book, anyway.

So i spent part of my morning looking over various insurance premium differences between my current LGT and replacements. I had no idea how much MORE even a 2010 WRX was over my LGT!!! Almost twice as much! 335xi was about 25% more per year too...Maybe i'll just try and find a 2009 LGT. Talk about frustrating.:mad:

So i spent part of my morning looking over various insurance premium differences between my current LGT and replacements. I had no idea how much MORE even a 2010 WRX was over my LGT!!! Almost twice as much! 335xi was about 25% more per year too...Maybe i'll just try and find a 2009 LGT. Talk about frustrating.:mad:

The WRX is perhaps the worst car in the US to try to insure thanks to all the jackasses that own them, wreck them, and cause accidents in them. High risk group.

The BMW or other premium cars will be more expensive to insure as they are more expensive to repair in the event of an accident, and in some cases also have higher risk drivers too.

The gf and I both liked the TSX we checked out at a local auto show, but I agree they are a bit overpriced. If I had to replace the LGT, I would definitely have to go test drive a 135i but I'd probably have a hard time spending that kind of money. I would also consider a used Outback XT; I still really like the looks of those. There's really not a lot out there right now that I like. I'm looking to hold on to my '05 for at least another 3 years...

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived