LegacyGT.com

rmb2485's 98 Legacy GT

Why would you spend money modding your parents car? Why would your parents even let you do that to their "brand new cars"? And why do you still live with your parents?

we'll my fam kinda splits all three cars. whatever i want to drive, i drive (if their all available). i didn't have to pay for any of them so i'v got plenty of $ to spend on parts for all of the cars, and besides...why not? i've gotta drop $400 bucks on the "crucial" timing belt replacement in a few weeks on the subi. and i'm also gunna get the sti short throw shifter w/ a sti shift nob which is like $380 + labor so that will hold me over for winter.

my dad said i could have his si after college and also because i track it at road america so thats why i spend $ on it.

last time i checked most 17 year old kids live with their parents.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok thanks guys, haha for a second I was like "Wait...what did I say?" :spin:

Most 17 year olds do live with their folks, truth be told. That's actually a pretty sweet deal...I ended up with my legacy after saving up every last $ I owned and putting it towards a car. Totaled to $2750, plus all of the things I've done to it to get her in running/solid condition (around $2k), and I've had to learn everything about fixing cars to keep costs down and to drive my passion (my dad helped me so much out for that). Would I do it again? Definitely, just maybe I'd find a gt with a manual this time ;)

charmz, you've got quite the goldmine there. 66k is such a nice number for miles, and it looks like everything's straight on that one. Please, for the sake of us all here, keep it running for a long time, or sell it to an enthusiast on a legacy site. And just maybe throw a rear swaybar on...and fresh struts/springs...and a tower brace...and a cai...and a crank pulley...and a wrx swap...you get the idea. It just builds and builds haha.

that's called "advertising"

my Tacoma has vvt-i written on the engine cover.

my LegacyGT has boxer written on the engine cover.

hell... my push mower has the damn HP rating written on the engine cover.

also, put me in a 08 si and i'll annihilate your 96 leggy in pretty much every way.

well put. any stock subi from the late 90's would be no match for an si. trust me. (except on a dirt road).

don't even start with talkin trash about honda's vtec. if u took the turbo off a wrx and the upgraded intercooler/turbo off an sti neither car's 2.5L engine's would even be close to pumpin out 200 hp, likewise a si w/ a turbo would easily put out over 275hp, some have done over 400hp (w/extensive mods of course) but anyway, for a 2.0 u just cant beat it. honda makes the first a second most powerful 4cyl naturally aspirated engines in the world and i could guarantee anyone that subaru couldn't get even close to 237hp out of a nat. aspirated boxer with a half liter more displacement. end of story.

i don't wanna start any arguments here. this is a LGT owners thread, but come on, don't diss a stock honda and especially their vtec system. after all it was the first of it's kind and is incredibly ingenious, thus the reason why nissan mitsu toyota etc all copied it.

Ok thanks guys, haha for a second I was like "Wait...what did I say?" :spin:

Most 17 year olds do live with their folks, truth be told. That's actually a pretty sweet deal...I ended up with my legacy after saving up every last $ I owned and putting it towards a car. Totaled to $2750, plus all of the things I've done to it to get her in running/solid condition (around $2k), and I've had to learn everything about fixing cars to keep costs down and to drive my passion (my dad helped me so much out for that). Would I do it again? Definitely, just maybe I'd find a gt with a manual this time ;)

charmz, you've got quite the goldmine there. 66k is such a nice number for miles, and it looks like everything's straight on that one. Please, for the sake of us all here, keep it running for a long time, or sell it to an enthusiast on a legacy site. And just maybe throw a rear swaybar on...and fresh struts/springs...and a tower brace...and a cai...and a crank pulley...and a wrx swap...you get the idea. It just builds and builds haha.

thanks alot, no worries, i put on all of 50 miles a week so that mileage won't be sky-rocketing any time soon! i dont plan on ever getting rid of the legacy, and seing as how my parents have the too new honda's- maintenance on them will be next to nothing which means....ah yes, more $ for "restoring" the legacy! yaaa (i do have some friends that are killin me to do some kind of sti swap or turbo kit upgrade, but i said no quite firmly. maybe someday if i find another one!) this car is here to stay till it dies 100 years from now...or longer. haha

Wow, you don't drive too much! Much be close to school. I drive about 300-500 miles a week. But for the last week my car hasn't gotten any miles put on it. It has been in the shop and I just got it back today! I was so happy to get back in it. I have the only car in my family so it is always nice driving my car instead of my dad's Dodge or my mom's Yukon XL.

Charmzdub, good call on no turbo kits! Our 2.5's aren't meant to handle that too well.

You mean your parents didnt let you take the camaro! lol

Wow, you don't drive too much! Much be close to school. I drive about 300-500 miles a week. But for the last week my car hasn't gotten any miles put on it. It has been in the shop and I just got it back today! I was so happy to get back in it. I have the only car in my family so it is always nice driving my car instead of my dad's Dodge or my mom's Yukon XL.

Charmzdub, good call on no turbo kits! Our 2.5's aren't meant to handle that too well.

You mean your parents didnt let you take the camaro! lol

hahaha, i wish! well kinda. (the roush and the s2k were way better) ya, i only live 1 mile from school and about 4 from work so i don't go anywhere much else other than those two places. If i need to put on some miles to get somewhere i'll take one of the civic's. they are the beaters, haha.

My parents bought a 2010 SLP ZL575 Camaro, pretty awesome. It is only 1 of 250 made (that's the reason I can't drive it very much :/ ). It's the car I learned to drive stick in too lol We have a couple '69s also. My family has about 20 cars overall. But since he got the Camaro he has to sell everything else to pay off the loan fast.

I live 7 miles from work and 50 miles from school. I enjoy putting miles on my GT!

To get back on the Subaru subject... I'm trying to buy some of the Legacy GT wheels with the gold package :) I hope the people will sell them!

Ahh the gold package is classy! It'll match up with the limited gold trim nicely too...get that done!

Charmz, keep that baby stock. It's such a nice looking 2nd gen, 30th annivarsary, 5 speed...I got bit by the mod bug when I got to this site, and I went with suspension and a bunch of little "fun" DIY mods that really change mine to the way I want it. Does it ride better than before? Yes (after 150k miles with original struts and springs). Does it look cooler? IMO, yes after all the little shit. But it wasn't near the condition when I got it that yours is in...drive her till she dies, you don't see lgts like that anymore :(

Yeah the guy is trying to sell them with his LGT on Craigslist so I emailed him and asked him if he would consider just selling those rims and tires because he has aftermarket rims on it right now... He emailed me back and said it was a possibility and wanted to know what I'd give him for them.

Ahh the gold package is classy! It'll match up with the limited gold trim nicely too...get that done!

Charmz, keep that baby stock. It's such a nice looking 2nd gen, 30th annivarsary, 5 speed...I got bit by the mod bug when I got to this site, and I went with suspension and a bunch of little "fun" DIY mods that really change mine to the way I want it. Does it ride better than before? Yes (after 150k miles with original struts and springs). Does it look cooler? IMO, yes after all the little shit. But it wasn't near the condition when I got it that yours is in...drive her till she dies, you don't see lgts like that anymore :(

for sure. no mod plans. all oem except for the sti sort shifter which will be a huge improvement over the stock one. i was thinkin about gettin the spt muffler but now i'm not gunna plan on it.

i washed her up last night and naturally there was a slight amount of rain this morninig in the school parking lot. ugh, i hate when that happens...water spots are every car washer's worst nightmare. anyway, i use eagle one all wheel and tire cleaner on the civics rims because they are both forged aluminium rims. however, when i used it on the subi it left like a water/grease mark on the part where the center cap is by the lugs which isn't the gold part but the gray part. it turned out really well and cleaned up the inner gold part great, but it's only visible on the silver part of the rims. i'll post pics later.

Well....the spt muffler is really hard to tell as far as a difference from stock. The tip might be a little more flagrant because it's the polished chrome vs the stock tip unpolished, but it'll be a nice little addition to it, and make it sound a little nicer+a little more power. That's tempting. If you're not going to pour any more money into it for mods, I'd say do it then quit it. The shifter is a must, no question. I wonder how the short throws feel vs the stock one...

Well....the spt muffler is really hard to tell as far as a difference from stock. The tip might be a little more flagrant because it's the polished chrome vs the stock tip unpolished, but it'll be a nice little addition to it, and make it sound a little nicer+a little more power. That's tempting. If you're not going to pour any more money into it for mods, I'd say do it then quit it. The shifter is a must, no question. I wonder how the short throws feel vs the stock one...

alright, i may get it then sometime next spring/summer. the shifter should be soon though, and i'm sure it's dramatically better than the stock shifter.

• 6 months later...

Long time since I've updated this thread...

Took the Subaru out today for the first time in weeks (it's been nice out, so I've been riding the bike and driving the Jeep) and it broke down on me. Turns out the crank pulley is the culprit. I started a thread here if anyone wants to offer advice... 1998 2.5L harmonic balancer / crank pulley failure - PICS

• 2 months later...
Well, almost three months later and I finally got around to fixing this thing after my crank pulley failure. Ended up replacing the timing belt, idlers, tensioner, center timing cover, timing cover gaskets, crank pulley and accessory belts. Total parts cost was just under $300 (by finding good deals on ebay; all new parts) and total time actually working on it was probably five hours.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if anyone follows this thread anymore, but I'll keep updating it anyway.

Just replaced the passenger side inner tie rod and boot so the Subaru would pass inspection. With an impact gun and the Harbor Freight inner tie rod tool, it was a very easy job and only took about an hour.

Also, I pulled the carpet and power washed it a month or two ago. It's still thirteen year old carpet, but it does look much cleaner than before. Well worth the time to do it.

• 3 months later...

Took home a 2011 WRX today to replace the Legacy. The Legacy was still in great shape for its age, but it needed tires and I was getting tired of constantly fixing small things, so I decided it was time for something new.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/WRX/temporary-8.jpg

Archived