LegacyGT.com

rmb2485's 98 Legacy GT

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha...I went away for a week and everyone kept talking amongst themselves in my thread. I don't care about random conversations going on in "my" build thread, but its better to have individual threads for stuff like the gauge LEDs so people can find them easier.

On another note...I was in Peru this week and there were a bunch of cars that looked exactly like second generation Subarus but had different names and badges. I should have taken a picture, but didn't, and I've been googling but haven't found anything. Does Subaru sell cars in other countries under a different name, or were these just copies? I know there are companies that copy other vehicles and sell them in other countries, like Brazil's Troller which is a Jeep Wrangler copy.

It's the JDM badge for a non turbo legacy.

I belive that it is actually the symbol for turbo Legacies. At least thats what I was told. I have L7 badges front/rear on my car.

Or more likely L7 is on all JDM Legacies, though, JDM high end models Subaru models all have their own badging {for example the Impreza STI (I)}. I was under the impression that the L7 was in fact just two Ls standing for "Legacy." I have also read that the two Ls are supposed to make a T, which stands for Turbo.

I belive that it is actually the symbol for turbo Legacies. At least thats what I was told. I have L7 badges front/rear on my car.

The green one's are non turbo. The red one's are turbo. But the L7 is just a standard JDM legacy badge.

Rear speakers and head unit went in today. Everything went right in and fits great, but I'm not at all impressed with the sound from the head unit. Luckily, once I move the four channel amp over from the Jeep I can use it to tune the speakers. I hate having dash pockets too, so I'll have to figure out something cool to go there instead.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0415.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0417.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0419.jpg

Replaced the HVAC bulbs with ones from Radio Shack today.

Here's a tip for anyone else doing this...run the old bulbs under hot water for a minute and the green rubber bulb condom things will come right off. I ripped the first one trying to roll it off without doing this, but the others loosened up and came right off after a minute in hot water.

i didnt have a problem with the rubber on mine, then again i didnt replace them with bulbs, i replace them with oem size and fit leds from that website i mentioned, they have everything, and leds last about 10,000 years so ill never need to replace them again lol. hey rmb did you ever check out that website. the leds are dirt cheap there and they come in every color. i know you wanted to keep your dash lights stock.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing major on the Subaru recently as I've been focusing on the Jeep, but today I finally made to the stealership to see about getting a key cut (don't know if I've posted this, but the key that came with the car only works in the ignition). Luckily, they only wanted $4.25 to cut a key from the VIN, so I had them do it even though I wasn't sure it would work. Drumroll please......it works in the doors but not in the ignition, so I'm assuming a previous owner had to replace the ignition. I'm happy though because now I will be able to get into the car if the battery dies or the remote doesn't work.

I also inquired with the stealership about getting my driver's seatbelt replaced since its fraying. That's covered under warranty for life, so I'll be having that done next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Lol.. I got the exact same speakers... for Black Friday... installed them last weekend... they sound pretty good for the price... I didn't think to take pics though... I'll take some pics when I finished installing my subs and amp...

• 1 month later...

I like seeing those pictures of the stock security components, gives me hope that maybe i can scavenge the parts i need from the junk yard and get mine working again. I have a 97 that I bought back in the summer and it looks like someone cut out the stock sercuity/keyless entry? system for some stupid reason. i have the little reset button under the dash I found, a little light on the dash next to the fog lamps, a siren deal under the hood and a bunch of cut wires under the dash. I did find a little square box about the size of a spark plug case but the wires were cut off of that too. I'm thinking someone installed an aftermarket system or something because the little box has a 63.60 price tag stuck to it. :rolleyes: I have no idea what I'm missing that I need to hook up. If anyone can provide pictures of the components/wiring that would be awesome. Just shoot me a PM and I can send you my email so we're not hijacking rmb's thread.

I wish I had the money to mod my car like some of you guys, lol. Maybe when I get my degree and a full time job. Granted if I hadn't bought a lemon I would have a little money for tinkering. Bought the car and promptly blew up the engine (my fault, but a good thing because the RR cylinder I found was burning oil) so I had been dumping money into fixing up the car so I can keep it on the road reliably and fixing a lot of little things that are free/cheep but make the car nicer. :) I love the car, just wish I knew it had 220K on it before I bought it (long story there but the gauge cluster was changed) It may not be a custom ride when I'm done, but it will definitely be a good and reliable one when I'm done. Just hope I can get the money to fix the couple spots that are starting to rust before it gets away from me.

DSC_3915-3.thumb.jpg.fa97a12688947c2b8b69718ef21909dc.jpg

Haven't been on here in a while. The Subaru has been on hold while I bought and moved into a house, but last night I finally got the garage cleaned up and reasonable organized so I should be able to get back to my list of things to do on it soon.

I like seeing those pictures of the stock security components, gives me hope that maybe i can scavenge the parts i need from the junk yard and get mine working again. I have a 97 that I bought back in the summer and it looks like someone cut out the stock sercuity/keyless entry? system for some stupid reason. i have the little reset button under the dash I found, a little light on the dash next to the fog lamps, a siren deal under the hood and a bunch of cut wires under the dash. I did find a little square box about the size of a spark plug case but the wires were cut off of that too. I'm thinking someone installed an aftermarket system or something because the little box has a 63.60 price tag stuck to it. :rolleyes: I have no idea what I'm missing that I need to hook up. If anyone can provide pictures of the components/wiring that would be awesome. Just shoot me a PM and I can send you my email so we're not hijacking rmb's thread.

You've really just got a bunch of cut wires where the alarm brain should be? I'm amazed that the thing even starts, unless the wires are also disconnected and were just left hanging there.

In your case, I definitely wouldn't touch that stuff, you'll probably just open up a whole bag of new problems. If you really want an alarm, aftermarket is probably the cheapest and easiest option. I installed an alarm in my Jeep and it only cost me about $200 and a couple hours.

It's not like all the wires are hacked up under the dash. There are just the wires that went to the components that have been cut, and some spots where splices were connected into other wires and the splice was just cut off. I'm pretty handy with wiring and what not so if I were able to see what all was supposed to be hooked up under there, I MIGHT be able to do something. There is a legacy wagon over at the salvage yard, but it's literally buried in snow at the moment and I'm not digging it out, lol.

K so basically i love everything i've done to my 98. I have a custom catback exhaust with a burnt tip jdm muffler that swas about $220. Then i painted my calipers red and put 2.5 GT decals on all 4 :) my fog lights are tinted yellow, stereo system, intake, amd some enkei zr1 rims that i will be putting back on in the spring. And i'm planning on painting my stock wheels (just like yours) gold. Let me know if you need any help or suggestions

northwoods snowman, that is a beautiful red gt that you've got. 220,000 is nothing, keep her going!

jantzen, that's my car you've got, and damn she's fine! i love the black paint, it's got the red tone to it...yeah :) I was thinking about doing both the calipers RED and the stock gt rims gold. how do your calipers look, and could u let me know how the rims turn out?

this is the kit I just installed last weekend.

Front

http://www.bravox.com.br/images/componentsets_cs60b2_maior.jpg

Year 2000 don't have 6' speaker holes in the back, it rear speakers are in the door but only 5', there is also a secret screw to fix the door that wasn't ther in mine 97 leg...

Rear

http://www.bravox.com.br/images/coaxiaissilver_cx50b_maior.jpg

Archived