LegacyGT.com

rmb2485's 98 Legacy GT

I need some help with this! I'm also looking at a system but have no idea where to go/what to do; I've never done speakers, and I'm walking into the dark here. It really, really sucks, but I want to learn about this!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I need some help with this! I'm also looking at a system but have no idea where to go/what to do; I've never done speakers, and I'm walking into the dark here. It really, really sucks, but I want to learn about this!

1. Go to crutchfield.com and click the "learn" tab

2. Read everything

3. ???

4. Profit!

I learned how to build car stereos because I was a broke high school kid who wanted a nice system. I learned how to work on cars because I was a broke college kid with a broken car. Spend plenty of time researching, ask any questions you come up with and then just start doing it.

i went to mobile dynamics school, im acually MECP certified. if you dont know what that is and you want to really learn about car audio and video, check out their website mobiledynamics.com. heres my system in my ob. i have soundstream door speakers and tweeter as well but i dont have pics of those yet

picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=1622

picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=1625

that box is a labrynth box with rounded corners, so that one 10 sounds like 2 12's. and if you've ever heard soundstream subs, their one of the tops in quality.

EDIT: the loudnes license plate is from a van i had that won multiple competitions with 6 12's and 10,000 watts that i also built

I've done insanely loud and insane base, but I'm done with that. My Civic had four Infinity 12" subs in it at one point in high school; then I realized that good, crisp, clean sound is much better than lots of sound. My Jeep currently has 5 1/4" Polk db components up front, 5 1/4" db two ways in the sound bar and a 6 1/2" Kenwood powered sub inside the rear seat. The speakers are running on an Alpine amp and I have an Alpine head unit. Despite the terrible acoustics of a Wrangler, that system sounds pretty damn good. Pics are in my Jeep build thread (link in one of my first few posts in this thread) if anyone is interested.

The Subaru will get a similar treatment, with 6 1/2" Polk db components up front, 6 1/2" db two ways in the rear and one 10" sub (either Polk or Infinity). It'll get an Alpine head unit and I'll use the Alpine amp from the Jeep to run the speakers and an Infinity amp for the sub. I'm also toying with the idea of putting components in the rear doors instead of two ways in the rear deck, but I don't know that I want to put the work into modifying the door panels. I'm also still considering making a fiberglass sub box that's molded into the trunk, but again I don't know that I want to put the effort into it.

Bought a JVC head unit today, although I think I'll put it in the Jeep and move the Jeep's Alpine head unit to the Subaru. Also won the Polk db two ways on ebay, so now all I'm missing is a sub and box.

For anyone who is interested, the head unit I bought is a JVC KD-S100, which was originally $649.99 and is for sale at Crutchfield for $129.99 (I actually payed $54.99 because I used some Discover card cash back points to get a $75 gift certificate :)). The features and reviews are great, so for $129.99 I don't know that you can go wrong.

Yes sweet car, I Have an 97 dark blue (very nice color) Legacy 2.0L Non turbo version w/ 87k miles and the car seems like new. But that one isn't AWD, wich is actually good also because it is very econo, runs 60 miles/gal in citty.

97 It's also faster then mine AWD 2.0 2000 Legacy, both MT. But the Awd newer model have better acoustic insulament and can handle so much better.

Thing I did on buying the 2000:

Engine:

- Timming belt + timming pulleys and tensioner + timming bearings + retaining rings

- Alternator + wheelpump poly-V belts.

- Valve cover gasket + spark plugs retaining rings + Iridium IX spark plugs + NGK JAPAN ignition cable

- Changed all oils, engine (mineral SL), transmission, differential (API-GL5)

- Installed a K&N pannel washable air filter (Fits OEM)

- New 65A Battery

- New water-pump (u probably need one of those)

- New fuel filter

-Throttle body and fuel injector cleaned

Verify the pressure in the fuel pump to see if it still under specs.

Steering and transmission

- Buyed OEM Steering system repair kit, to fix oil leakage on steering house, + new boots and bushing + New steering fluid (DExtronIII) + Adjust it tight to eliminate excessive noise when cornering (not too much or will lock your back steering).

- new bushing for the transmission (actually is better to buy the whole joint w/ bushing, because one of the pins has a flat smashed head), that brings a more precise gearing. (mine 97 needed bushing for the upper shifter also)

- New OEM Exedy Clutch kit + Clucht bearing + pilot bearing + Master clutch cilinder and Clutch fluid DOT 5.1 (u don't need this, cause yours use cable) buy a new cable

- New Front and Rear sway bar links and bushings.

Braking

- New rear pads and brake fluid, the rest still alright for a while.

Interior and exterior

- Cleaned all interior parts w/ neutral detergent on water, soft brush and a vapor dry machine before and after that.

- Polished and Cristalyzed w/ 3M products

- New Carpet kit OEM from 08 model

To be done:

- Brembo front slotted Rotors + OEM original front pads + StainlesSteel brake lines

- Bilsteins HD Shocks + new KYB mounts + Perrin front and rear sway bar links

- Leather interior

- Rims paint to darker HP Gray

http://i34.tinypic.com/2w5vygi.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/29xznnp.jpg

Spent a couple hours today and got the front speakers in. Tweeters fit in the factory location with some slight modification to the stock brackets, woofers fit in the stock location perfectly, theres enough room behind the arm rest portion of the door panel for the crossover and everything looks factory when its all put back together. Even running on the stock head unit these things sound great!

Running on the factory speaker wiring for now, but I'll rewire it when I move the four channel amp from the Jeep to the Subaru.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0346.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0345.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0347.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0343.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x265/rmb2485/Legacy%20GT/IMG_0349.jpg

That last picture reminds me...

Anyone want to trade my woodgrain door and dash trim pieces (power window switch trim pieces on all four doors and head unit / ash tray trim piece on the dash) for your black ones?

nice install, now i have to take off my door panels to show you mine lol. i do have a question, i have soundstream door speakers and the magnets are huge, i had to use a 1"spacer to mount it and it barely clears the door panel when put back on. did you have to do this, i cant tell from the pic

btw heres a fun little mod that costs about 10 bucks. go on superbrightleds.com and order leds that fit your guage cluster (they have a bulb guide on their website thats accurate) and their dirt cheap and theres no soldering or anything, they fit into the stock slots so no custom work, just plug n play. took me maybe 15 mins to do. if you need help let me know. heres the outcome. oh and you have the same color subie as me and blue and green go together quite well.

picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=2228

I used mounting plates that are about a half inch thick and the speakers clear the windows by maybe a sixteenth. They clear the door panels by maybe a half inch.

I'll be keeping the factory white dash illumination, but I do need to pull the cluster apart because the fuel idiot light doesn't work. It doesn't light up when the tank is almost empty or with the rest of the idiot lights when the ignition is on, so I'm guessing the bulb is out.

ur lucky with the speakers then, ur magnets must not be as big as mine, cause i had to use 1 inch spacers and it was still hitting the window so i took off the rubber boot on the magnet and it clears now but my door pannel clearance is about 1/16.

and the gauge color thing was just an idea. throwing it out there. its the little things that please me. just like the interior light and flood light mod that i recently did where i replace the door flood lights, map lights, and dome light with a white 10 led cluster. brightens up the interior a bit with the doors open and the ground by the doors. my next small mod is the map lights on with dome light. and then maybe a digital hvac controller if i can find one. it annoys me that not all the the buttons light up on the analog hvac controller.

btw heres a fun little mod that costs about 10 bucks. go on superbrightleds.com and order leds that fit your guage cluster (they have a bulb guide on their website thats accurate) and their dirt cheap and theres no soldering or anything, they fit into the stock slots so no custom work, just plug n play. took me maybe 15 mins to do. if you need help let me know. heres the outcome. oh and you have the same color subie as me and blue and green go together quite well.

picture.php?albumid=310&pictureid=2228

Hey, that looks really cool. Can you confirm that the LEDs I should be looking at are number 158? And how many did you need?

Hey, that looks really cool. Can you confirm that the LEDs I should be looking at are number 158? And how many did you need?

158 is the correct number.... im not sure how many i needed, i bought 10 cause they were so cheap and head some left over, i found other places they fit lol. althought there is one thing you need to know. not all of my gauge cluster is blue, it just looks like in the pic because the camera on the g1 sux. anyway, between 80 and 120 on the spedo and 0 and 2500rpm is still the stock color(green) because the bulbs for those 2 are a different size, i think they may be 78 but i never did find out. but with all of the gauges blue and then it sorta fades into green in the middle...it acually looks really cool. i was goin to make it all blue when i found out the bulbs were different but once i saw them on and at night, i like it. i dont know how you are with cars but if you need a pic walkthrough i can prolly do one this weekend

158 is the correct number.... im not sure how many i needed, i bought 10 cause they were so cheap and head some left over, i found other places they fit lol. althought there is one thing you need to know. not all of my gauge cluster is blue, it just looks like in the pic because the camera on the g1 sux. anyway, between 80 and 120 on the spedo and 0 and 2500rpm is still the stock color(green) because the bulbs for those 2 are a different size, i think they may be 78 but i never did find out. but with all of the gauges blue and then it sorta fades into green in the middle...it acually looks really cool. i was goin to make it all blue when i found out the bulbs were different but once i saw them on and at night, i like it. i dont know how you are with cars but if you need a pic walkthrough i can prolly do one this weekend

Do they not carry the 78's? I was thinking about getting red, so IDK if I would want a christmas colored dash :lol:. A walk through would be great, I've had my OB for a year but haven't really done much to it besides changing the oil.

Archived