LegacyGT.com

Full tune of 68HTA, KSTech 73 MAF, Racer X FMIC and DW750s

LittleBlueGT

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The boost difference must become more pronounced with an upgraded turbo. Good to know once I upgrade the stocker. 1/4 turn of the adjustment knob and back on target. Which intake are you getting LBGT?

-Franz

I theorize that my MBC didn't work all that well because of the slight leak that my bottom port of my EWG has. (which apparently is normal) At its lowest setting it raised boost from 14.5 to 17.5 psi. I think it will work much better for an IWG.

I am going back to the OEM system for boost control. Which is not hard, just not as quick as I was hoping.

I am getting the first of two custom 73mm intakes that KS Tech is making. If it works out well, he will be marketing it.

Is it a cold air intake that extends into the fender area or does it have a shield? I plan to get an intake once I upgrade the fuel for E85 in the spring. I don't think the APS 70mm will work so great on the LGT so I'm hoping to find another good option.

-Franz

Is it a cold air intake that extends into the fender area or does it have a shield? I plan to get an intake once I upgrade the fuel for E85 in the spring. I don't think the APS 70mm will work so great on the LGT so I'm hoping to find another good option.

-Franz

CAI c/w heatshield. You could get it in 70mm as well, but I like to think BIG!

It extends into the fender, but it was designed to not go as far as the AEM to avoid any water issues that some AEM CAI owners had.

In another thread I detailed how I changed the front O2 scaling for better accuracy:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123586&page=3

Right now the Front O2 is in the DP.

Here is what I started with and ended up with for a new front O2 scalar (top is new bottom is OEM):

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/O2scalaroldandnew.jpg

Here is the OEM scaling graphed out:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/O2scalar.gif

Here is mine now scales out:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/NewO2scaling.gif

I am seriously starting to think they put 87 octane gas in our pumps, and sell it for 91. (I am having the same problem w/ a 2.0 liter w/ FMIC, and a VF52 w/ Perrin TMIC)

Look at how low my timing is! And I still get knock. Look at how low my boost is!!:mad: Now you know why I hate to run my pump tune, alky all the way!!!!!

FWIW IAT 34F, so this timing curve is with the comp table adding a couple degrees already!!!

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/Decpumptune.gif

I theorize that my MBC didn't work all that well because of the slight leak that my bottom port of my EWG has. (which apparently is normal)

Why do you think this is normal?

I have been using ewg's for years and have never heard this mentioned by anyone. I am not using one my suby but that is irrelevant they will function the same no matter what car they are on

Finally I am getting my stuff together.

I got my new DW740s, they scaled great, put in the flow value of 730 (from DW) and 10% more then stock latency. So far everything is within 2-3%! Also, it doesn't seem to be leaning out at high rpm (like the DW850s) did!:)

My new 73mm intake is on the way!

My new front O2 is in the DP, and seems to work very well from there. I still have some more testing to go, but it looks promising right now. I am considering scaling my intake with AFRs in the 11.7 range on pump fuel and Torco, all without breaking out the WB!:)

I tried the whole hybrid boost control w/ MBC, it worked well if you didn't have a big temp swing, but I was already seeing a 1.5 psi spread in 40 degree different temps (F), so for me it is out of the question.

This whole faze of my tuning is taking me forever (due to waiting for parts), but should soon be over.

FWIW in 2nd gear I hit 15 psi by 3100 rpm, 20 by 3500 rpm, and it isn't even that cold yet!

In 3rd gear I hit 20 psi by 2900 rpm!!!! Yippeeeee!!!! So I can hit an easy 330 wtq on pump, but only about 270 whp due to the super duper extremely crappy timing I have to run on our pump piss.:redface:

I am sooo looking forward to getting my alky back on and running some decent timing, and making some decent whp!

What were your outside temps for this test??

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Why do you think this is normal?

I have been using ewg's for years and have never heard this mentioned by anyone. I am not using one my suby but that is irrelevant they will function the same no matter what car they are on

Because the bottom port of my EWG leaked right out of the box, I have heard of others with this same thing, but boost was still easily controllable.

FWIW I am using the EWG with 3-port EBCS, and so far it looks like boost control is working very well.

Not too cold, 30s or 40s IIRC.

More graphs to come!

Really curious to see how this compares to my current setup. I am remotely considering picking up one of these turbos as well. BTW...what kind of manifold pressures do you see when cruise doing say 80mph?

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Really curious to see how this compares to my current setup. I am remotely considering picking up one of these turbos as well. BTW...what kind of manifold pressures do you see when cruise doing say 80mph?

Not sure. It would be the same as any turbo on our car at cruise at 80mph.

Got the 73mm KTS CAI today. It is nice, fits nice as well.

On to tuning it:

I took my K&N (65mm ID) intake scalar, and multiplied it by 26%. I also rescaled the voltage headers to something that made more sense (I will post it when I am done).

Car started right up, idled nicely at 1.24 volts, and after 1 hour of city driving my MAF tab looked like this:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/mafdec7.jpg

The upper end of the MAF seems to be less then 26% of the K&N scalar, but I think that is because the ratio of airspace taken up by the actual sensor is different in a bigger intake.

I am also trying to scale the intake with OEM O2 (in DP) and fuel targets of 12:1. This is of course being done with some Torco, as there is no way I could run that AFR on our pump gas. I will then swap in the WB and see what it says.

Got the 73mm KTS CAI today. It is nice, fits nice as well.

On to tuning it:

I took my K&N (65mm ID) intake scalar, and multiplied it by 26%. I also rescaled the voltage headers to something that made more sense (I will post it when I am done).

Car started right up, idled nicely at 1.24 volts, and after 1 hour of city driving my MAF tab looked like this:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/mafdec7.jpg

The upper end of the MAF seems to be less then 26% of the K&N scalar, but I think that is because the ratio of airspace taken up by the actual sensor is different in a bigger intake.

I am also trying to scale the intake with OEM O2 (in DP) and fuel targets of 12:1. This is of course being done with some Torco, as there is no way I could run that AFR on our pump gas. I will then swap in the WB and see what it says.

Good to hear. Have they released an LGT-specific part number now then? If I have access to MAF scaling of a 70mm APS on an STI, would that be a decent starting point? Or can you post your scaling once you have it dialed in where you want it? ;)

-Franz

Good to hear. Have they released an LGT-specific part number now then? If I have access to MAF scaling of a 70mm APS on an STI, would that be a decent starting point? Or can you post your scaling once you have it dialed in where you want it? ;)

-Franz

I will post my scaling. Of course that is with my injectors, but it should be a good starting point to make it easier.

I used the OEM O2 in the DP to scale the KSTech 73mm intake. I still have not put in the WB to confirm. I ran an AFR of 11.69:1, (with a 4 point bump from Torco) but kept timing to my normal dismal pump levels. Timing would have been about 10 tapering to 14 or so.:redface:

This was in 10F weather: (4th gear)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/4thgearboost10F.gif

I hit 4.76 volts, which equates to about 345 g/s!

Boost was about all she would do. I don't doubt others can run 21 psi at red-line, but I found w/ TGV deletes, headers, and EWG that VE was up, and airflow/psi was also up, but attainable psi was down.

WHP is here:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/4thgear10F.gif

Archived