LegacyGT.com

Up Pipe Install - Pain in the ass?

Al Thomson

Compared to an oil change it is a huge PITA, compared to rebuilding a transmission using a butter knife and some JB weld it is really easy :lol:

Give yourself extra time and make sure you have everything you need and you will be fine. there are lots of threads with instructions and pictures.

Just do yourself a favor and jack up the engine block when trying to pull out the old and put in the new. I wrestled with it for an hour before figuring out that jacking the engine up gives you just enough room to sneak the new one in

But, it's not a hard job to do.

Just do yourself a favor and jack up the engine block when trying to pull out the old and put in the new. I wrestled with it for an hour before figuring out that jacking the engine up gives you just enough room to sneak the new one in

But, it's not a hard job to do.

Yes agreed. Take off the passenger side exhaust manifold also.

Yes agreed. Take off the passenger side exhaust manifold also.

If your doing it with jack stands i would definitely recommend this approach.

On a lift you can use a transmission jack and push the engine up. You can use this approach with the jack stands but its all depending about how comfortable you feel under your car on jack stands.

AND USE TORQUE SPECS! That really made my 4th up install WAY easy, no leaks.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

... watch out jacking up the engine with a floor jack.

I learned that they don't jack straight up, DUH. More of an up and toward you direction i.e. engine doesn't want to drop back down into the same place it came from (motor mount holes). But I still completed it by myself with some elbow grease.

Do it yourself ... it's quite rewarding!

Most everything is easily accessible, but I ended up having to take it to a shop because even with a ton of penetrating oil I couldn't get all the bolts undone. So I guess "ease" can be based on whether or not you're breaking sockets on bolts that don't want to come out :lol:

if you know what you are doin, it takes 2hrs on jack stands in the driveway. for a n00b it may take 4hrs

I clocked you @ 1.5 ;)

first time is a pita -- mostly from the rusty bolts on the manifold heatshields. much easier if you've got all sockets (deep and reg), 3/8" ratchet and 1/2" torque wrench for cracking.

Not to jack the thread but I will be installing TMIC, headers, UP, turbo, DP and CBE in late August/early September, and I'm not sure on the order of operations. Here's what I'm thinking (after looking at vaca pix):

1. Jack car up, put on stands, remove front wheels and under tray
  2. Open hood and remove engine cover and intercooler
  3. Remove rear O2 sensor
  4. Remove Center, Y-Pipe, and mufflers
  5. Remove turbo heatshield
  6. Separate DP from turbo and unplug front O2 sensor
  7. Remove DP
  8. Remove Turbo
  9. Remove UP
  10. Remove exhaust manifold
  11. Install in reverse order

For those of you that have lived this, does this order of operations make sense?

Sounds about right, but beware of the awful chore that is putting the turbo back in. :mad:

Also... FWIW, I had no problem removing the stock UP or putting the Invidia one in without removing the manifold or jacking up the engine. But I did have the DP/Turbo and stuff out of the way.

I didnt have to take the turbo off when I did my DP install, it was more difficult to do, but I didnt have the effort/problems of doing the turbo junk either.

7. Remove DP

8. Remove headers

9. Remove UP

10. install in reverse order

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I'm gonna take the Monday and hopefully Tuesday off so I can have a total of four uninterrupted days to finish it. I have a wide variety of tools and at least 4 cans of PB Blaster. I'm going to get flexible oil feed lines too just to make it a bit easier.

What else am I not anticipating?

executor485: The turbo is being replaced. :)

sooo i got my grimmspeed flex up pipe and i'm about to install it tomorrow. My pops has a lift or three in the garage for his collection of toys, so I'm gunna move some things around and get my car up in the air. Do i realllly need to remove the downpipe and the turbo to put this bastard in cuz i don't have another crush gasket handy for the downpipe. Is it possible to just swap the pipes out without tearing into other things such as the exhaust manifold and turbo and DP...

Not to jack the thread but I will be installing TMIC, headers, UP, turbo, DP and CBE in late August/early September, and I'm not sure on the order of operations. Here's what I'm thinking (after looking at vaca pix):

1. Jack car up, put on stands, remove front wheels and under tray
  2. Open hood and remove engine cover and intercooler
  3. Remove rear O2 sensor
  4. Remove Center, Y-Pipe, and mufflers
  5. Remove turbo heatshield
  6. Separate DP from turbo and unplug front O2 sensor
  7. Remove DP
  8. Remove Turbo
  9. Remove UP
  10. Remove exhaust manifold
  11. Install in reverse order

For those of you that have lived this, does this order of operations make sense?

These are my tips (no particular order) when I did my DP & UP:

- Use PB Blaster to remove nuts & bolts. Before re-installing, clean with brake cleaner, otherwise it might loosen.

- Use new gaskets. The only gasket I would probably re-use is the donut between the DP & mid pipe.

- It is easier to remove the entire exhaust manifold (L&R) and cross pipe all in one piece.

- You will need a 14mm deep socket for one (maybe 2) of the UP nuts.

Archived