LegacyGT.com

Adding muffler to CBE to quiet it down. Opinions/experience needed.

HansGT

Reserrecting a great thread. Almost positive I will need a muffler or resonator for my setup.

New 3in exhaust failed the GF test as expected. Drone makes talking difficult.

*** Spent about an hour at the muffler shop yesterday. Have ordered the Magnaflow #11219

Plan to install Tuesday. Thanks HansGT and iNVAR!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know that any resonator or muffler works well to redice drone. I dont know if id put that big of a muffler in the middle of an exhuast. But being a straight through deisgn should hurt performance and should still keep a nice volume at WOT.

A good round resonator will do the same thing.... from my experiance.

Stock CBE

/thread

Ok, I've had my magnaflow cbe exhaust matted to my stage 2 LGT for two years now. Love the rumble, but at highway speeds it can get a bit drony (if thats a word) especially for those in the back. Recently I've moved and have doubled my commute time. Due to the extra time in the car it gets to be a bit much for passengers and although he doesn't complain, I don't want my son to go deaf. So what to do? I like the fit and finish and free flowing power benefit. Like some other LGT owners with the same set up I am looking into adding a third muffler to the midpipe section right after the DP. At the moment not interested in swapping out exhausts due to the extra cost or going back to stock as I just hated it that way.

Options:

1. Magnaflow 11219 (14x9x4 oval) Straight through perforated stainless steal tube with packing. Other members have had success with this muffler. But two things that concern me. 1: Due to the width you need to angle the muffler down (pictured). I'm already lowered and am concerned with scrapping. And 2: the sound reduction seems to be a lot. 75% normal driving and 50% WOT with no drone. Seems a tad drastic, I'm afraid I won't like it.

2. Dynatech 76-014302 (14x7x4.5) Straight through baffled (oxymoron?)

"6-8 dB" reduction. Don't know of anyone else that has used this and what to expect. I'd think it would be similar to the magnaflow but about %15 more noise given the less internal volume. (60% reduction, 35% WOT ???) 2 inches narrower that the magnaflow so it should tuck up under and keep things straight. Should have about 1.25" between muffler lip and driveshaft.

3. Vibrant ultra quiet 1142 (10x6.75x4.5) Straight through perforated stainless w/packing. Concerned it just may be too small. Classified as a "resonator" not a muffler...if that makes a difference.

4: Borla:

40943 (12x7 7/8 x 4.5) $$$ A bit more than I want to spend. Could be too wide and need to be dropped.

40944 (16x7 7/8 x 4.5) $$$ A bit more than I want to spend. Could be too wide and need to be dropped.

(Added) 40085 (15x5) Enough sound reduction? Kill drone?

5. (JUST ADDED)Magnaflow (14 x 4) Perhaps not taking the volume down a lot, but will it cut the drone?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14419/

Let us know. I had good luck cutting drone in my Stromung by switching to a catted downpipe. Still a touch loud for me for a daily driver so I sold it. AFAIK, you'll be the first with a third muffler in the Stromung. I'm interested in your results.

I have a catted DP already. ;)

i know that any resonator or muffler works well to redice drone. I dont know if id put that big of a muffler in the middle of an exhuast. But being a straight through deisgn should hurt performance and should still keep a nice volume at WOT.

A good round resonator will do the same thing.... from my experiance.

Most of us wagon folks find the little round resonators insufficient to quell the drone in our "echo chambers". It seems that with a sedan it's much less of an issue.

Going for the install now if the wait at my local muffler shop isn't too long. :rolleyes::lol:

Has anyone who's done this Magnaflow muffler (14319 or 11219) in their mid had any clearance issues?

I took it by my local shop today and the tech I was talking with expressed concern over the fact that an edge will be hanging somewhat low.

We actually decided that because the mid that's on there now was going to require so much hacking that he's just going to make a new mid for the muffler. Fine by me as I was sad to hack up the pretty work Strömung did on the midpipe. That and if I pass this on down the road whomever gets it will have a choice of loud or not-so-loud as well.

I didn't have a camera today either but I'll be sure to take it with me tomorrow.

Cheers!

Has anyone who's done this Magnaflow muffler (14319 or 11219) in their mid had any clearance issues?

I had the 11219 installed on my HKS Silent Hi Power exhaust. I was tucked up nicely underneath mostly in the drive shaft tunnel. Was lowered on RalliTek springs w/ 3/8" saggy butt spacers in the rear. No problems with that combination. Got a few scrapes before the 3/8" spacers on my driveway that had a big hump to straddle, but none afterwards.

I loved that exhaust. :wub:

But alas it was too loud for my wife so its been replaced by an SPT v2, she'd still prefer the stock cbe though.

1172159884_Picture012(Large).thumb.jpg.7601244cc28b91eda201af60cdf81140.jpg

616090411_Picture013(Large).thumb.jpg.14b9cfec78434251d62ee5dcd09e5371.jpg

1327887943_Picture014(Large).thumb.jpg.0ec49b30ef601b96ab2f109ffddea25c.jpg

1762476613_Picture015(Large).thumb.jpg.c0327d822fe2236a26a376b16cf79b19.jpg

1641126531_Picture020(Large).thumb.jpg.2193ffcddb335b42e7fb48d8845fd0af.jpg

i think i saw someone put little "ramps" at either end of the muffler (angled pieces of metal) so if there was a chance of contact, it wouldnt grab the vertical edge of the muffler, but rather have a ramp to slide up...

• 9 months later...
I had the 11219 installed on my HKS Silent Hi Power exhaust. I was tucked up nicely underneath mostly in the drive shaft tunnel. Was lowered on RalliTek springs w/ 3/8" saggy butt spacers in the rear. No problems with that combination. Got a few scrapes before the 3/8" spacers on my driveway that had a big hump to straddle, but none afterwards.

I loved that exhaust. :wub:

But alas it was too loud for my wife so its been replaced by an SPT v2, she'd still prefer the stock cbe though.

Was searching the forums and came across this old thread. My HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust is a bit louder than I'd like after adding upgrading my DP/UP, particularly on long journeys/at highway speed. How much quieter would taking out the current resonator/muffler(?) in the midpipe and adding in a magna flow make it?

Also, how much would this restrict the exhaust? I love the power gains from the DP and UP and would hate to undo them by making it quieter.

• 3 months later...

so I had the magnaflow CBE exhaust put on my car yesterday. I also have a catted aftermarket DP. put plainly I don't like the tone of the exhaust. I really can't hear much texture or detail in the sound, if you know what I mean. it's just really bassy. you might laugh but I think I enjoy my old hogzaust setup more. I am thinking of just going back to that. not messing around with welding an exhaust in the midpipe. I'm just not hopeful based on how it sounds now.

anyone know what I'm talking about??

• 5 months later...
FWIW I recently had the same problem. I have a Cobb turbo back exhaust and while it sounded awesome it was too boomy and loud in some situations. Plus it had the drone on the highway. I installed the Magnaflow 11219 and it cut the sound down considerably while still maintaining the cool Boxer sound. The Magnaflow fits perfect under the car, plus I did it myself with no pipe bending.

• 3 years later...

I am going to bump this thread up from the dead because I am rather pleased with myself this weekend.

I bought the catback from Han'sGT in 2011 or 2012 and ran it as received until February 2015. The fitment of the system was not great. I chalk that up to every car being a little bit different. The 3rd muffler rubbed the body a little bit, but otherwise presented no issues, the tips even fit pretty well in my wagon bumper.

Fast forward to 2015 where I needed to get a bigger downpipe, different turbo, etc. and when I bolted everything up, nothing fit right. Keep in mind, I was working on the car which was my daily driver outside in 10 degree wind chills. I still think my tenacity and enthusiasm at this point is one of my crowning achievements thus far. Anyway, nothing fit like it did before I tore everything apart, so I made it work by getting a straight piece of 3" stainless exhaust tubing and welding that to a 3" 2 bolt flange to mate up with the new downpipe and plumbed that into the rest of the exhaust. I essentially replaced magnaflow's midpipe that has that little dogleg with a straight piece. Fitment wasnt great, but most of the CO was being plumbed to the back of the car. The car was also now alarmingly loud! I ran this because it worked fine for a while

Fast forward to this weekend. I am getting that third muffler back in, but I am not using the same magnaflow 11219, I am using a Jones MaxFlow 3" muffler. This is really a quality piece, fully welded stainless. The caveat here is that it only comes in Center/Offset in 3" sizes. No clue why.

So here is what I did to make it fit:

I took the first part of the midpipe I made a year and a half ago, essentially just the flange TIG welded to a little bit of pipe, then TIG welded that to the dogleg that I had laying around from the original magnaflow system, but instead of having that follow the curve that both the original system and the magnaflow system go through, I turned it the other way so the dogleg went back over to the middle of the car, pointing to the passenger side, more under the driveshaft. This went into the center inlet of the muffler. The offset exit of the muffler sat nicely on the driver side and pointed perfectly into where the rest of the system sat near the differential.

This fits so nicely, the muffler is positioned between the 2 heat shields with no rattling on anything and i have now made the magnaflow system be a full 3" from the downpipe back to the Y.

I'm not sure this solution will work for everyone, but I was able to get this done with the cost of the 3" flange and the muffler which was I think like $60-$70 total. I suppose I should factor in the cost of the band clamps which you can get for less than $30 from rockauto, but I already had those on my system.

Just presenting another option, pehaps others can benefit

• 1 month later...

Got around to taking a pic and labeling. Pic is attached.

One should be able to get this done for ~$80 in parts and a little work. Not bad to quiet the car down and have a full 3" exhaust back to the Y

merfler.jpg.c1fa7092b57451ac37df4fef0bd93357.jpg

Archived