LegacyGT.com

Adding muffler to CBE to quiet it down. Opinions/experience needed.

HansGT

SGT had a custom exhaust made by a mutual friend of ours which used a full sized muffler in the center. Get a piece of plate welded on between the muffler lip and the pipe, because even if it's well made, and placed, it will still scrape the leading edge on occasion.

For me, I was personally okay with a little more noise (offset by the ELH though, which dropped the drone considerably) since I'm usually the only one in my car.

Warren

Good tip, thanks.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are absolutely doing it right . Every day I enjoy the sound of my extra Magnaflow muffler on my Magnaflow system. I hope the pics i sent helped. Before the drone was so annoying I was always turning up the radio. Don't worry about cutting too much sound , the straight thru design will still flow good and sound decently mean at WOT. Do it already !!!!!!!!!

Yes those pics did help thanks! Just shopping around. Got a inexpensive quote from a shop in Towson but not sure the quality of work. Quote from Agile too. No doubt the work will be top notch, but the price is more than I'd like to pay. But not ruled out...I need it done. Next stop..don't laugh...is a tractor repair shop north of my house. Guy I work with used to work there on and off for years. The guy works on and fixes just about anything, tractors, cars, motocycles, big rigs...etc. Might be an easy job for him. Hopefully cheaper as well.

Han's, I was wondering if you considered the Magnaflow with offset inlets instead of the center ones. The center ones needs to be put the side, since there isn't equal amount of space on both sides of the midpipe (as you probably know).

^ If they were not so extreme to one side it may be the better option. I think I'll be ok...we'll see. The noise/drone is just too much during my commute...hills and all. Going up a long incline...and giving it a little extra gas to get around some slow going drivers...my son said to me..."turn your car off, daddy...too loud". Gotta tone it down ASAP. (Usually he doesn't say anything...when he was a infant it put him to sleep)

Han's, I was wondering if you considered the Magnaflow with offset inlets instead of the center ones. The center ones needs to be put the side, since there isn't equal amount of space on both sides of the midpipe (as you probably know).

You can see in the pics (first one Han's put up is mine) a center exit is all you need.

You can see in the pics (first one Han's put up is mine) a center exit is all you need.

Pics where? The pics in post #1 show these extra (and rather ugly) pieces of pipe, to move the muffler somewhat off center so it fits...

If you come down to NoVA, let me know, and we can meet up. You can hear what mine sounds like. You may have yours done by then, so we can compare.

Warren

Im actually getting another exhaust done by B&T motors ports in Lorton VA. I have a basic one now but for the new one I ordered two Magna Flow 4x9 (11216) Center/Center mufflers a Magna flow XL 18 inch ( I think it was 25 inches overall) Resonator (13743) The resonator grealty cuts drone even in the N/A :eek: I had used a cheap Thrush resonator and it helped a bunch but the time around its all Magna Flow FTW :)

Unclemat,I'm talking about the first pic on post 55. Who you calling ugly? them are fighting words :0. The welds on post 1 are beyond ugly (sorry charlie). My welds were done by a pro . The only issue I had is that he angled it down to clear the drive shaft .

I did' date=' but all the LGT.com members that I found with this mod used the center/center one. Judging by the pics I think the offset ones may be too much.[/quote']

Unclemat,I'm talking about the first pic on post 55. Who you calling ugly? them are fighting words :0. The welds on post 1 are beyond ugly (sorry charlie). My welds were done by a pro . The only issue I had is that he angled it down to clear the drive shaft .

Yeah, these look ok, I was talking about the pictures in post #1.

So I am bit confused... he could weld it in the center without bending the midpipe? Can you take a better pic perhaps? When I looked there is there is far little space on one side of the pipe than on the other necessitating offsetting the muffler somewhat.

Its a straight pass, the only angle I needed was slightly down to clear the drive shaft. My welds have held up great with no leaks whatsoever. My installer is a craftsman and he pointed out there is alot of stress and torque on our exaust systems. He felt welds were the way to go . I'm sure clamps will work but you increase the chance of leaks.

I agree that it should be welded on the midpipe. I hate exhaust leaks, and it's bound to leak a little with 2 more clamps there, even if there is significant overlap. If it's inline, there's no excuse for him not wanting to weld. It's really easy.

It's not like it has to be a butt weld (although that would be preferable, IMO). No exhaust shop is going to take the time to TIG weld it like that.

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Done. What a difference!

Install looks to be a good job....using clamps. Some minor fabrication needed, but muffler is parallel to the ground without being dropped much at all. I'd say about 1/2-3/4", while rear mufflers and tips remain well tucked. :) I'll try and snap some picks today at lunch.

Volume/Drone:

75% reduction inside with windows up during normal driving. (close to no drone)

60-70% reduction inside with windows up at WOT. (close to no drone)

EDIT:

During my long drive home yesterday with a lot of up hill driving I'd say that under moderate acceleration that 75% figure drops to about 50-60% and the drone :mad: is still there, but much more subdued.

25-30% reduction with windows down during normal driving. (close to no drone)

25-30% reduction with windows down at WOT. (again, drone all but gone. exhaust note is less mean and raspy. Still sounds good. It's still very clear the car isn't stock)

0-10% reduction at idle.

All in all, I'm very pleased. I'll miss the mean WOT rumble but its a small price to pay for the benefits. The drone has been killed. :)

Where you would normally see flanges mating the axleback to the cans and what not, the ends of the pipes are widened and grooved, allowing them to slide on to the other components. Then a 1.5" wide metal sleeve, clamp, is tightened over the connecting pipes to seal them.

More prone to leaks maybe, but great for fitment. You can go on magnaflows website and look it up for pics.

Archived