LegacyGT.com

Adding muffler to CBE to quiet it down. Opinions/experience needed.

HansGT

^ he did say a little "custom" fabrication was needed. so maybe an ever so slight bend...not sure. but from looking at it it looks pretty damn straight to me. gone over some speed bumps...no issues. And have gotten on it pretty good...no rubbing or vibrating noise. (yet :))

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ one addition I will make is that like before it seems the exhaust get a little louder when warmed up. During my long drive home yesterday with a lot of up hill driving I'd say that under moderate acceleration that 75% figure drops to about 50-60% and the drone :mad: is still there, but much more subdued. Still a big change though. Before I was like when is this hill going to end...now it's ok. My wife did commented..."your car is a lot quieter". All in all I should have done this to start with.

For anyone worried that this might not be enough I think magnaflow does sell another 4x9 muffler that has an 18 inche long muffler vs. 14. It looks like it will fit, but may require some pipe bending.

I am using stock cans with a full 3" exhaust. This set up is relatively quiet (no drone), but it is quite raspy sounding. I am thinking of adding a third muffler near the rear of the midpipe. Do you think this will solve the raspyness issue?

^ not sure. mine does seem a bit less raspy at WOT, but then again the Magnaflow isn't super raspy to begin with. Very low and lots of burble. All in all mine for the most part sounds the same just at a lower volume.

Han's , if you want to further reduce the sound you can try sound deadening the trunk . Won't do as much as the muffler but does help a bit. I may have extra material left over from my project (raamat and ensolite).

• 2 months later...
i have an invidia catted dp and spt v2 catback, and the drone at highway around 3krpm is bugging me. i've ordered a magnaflow 4x9x14 (or 4x9x20 actual length) and i'm planning on putting it in next week too.

Because of this thread, I had a muffler welded into my custom Magnaflow CBE about a month or two ago, and the car is actually livable now. No more headaches while driving and no more crabby wife. Thank you for the inspiration.

I am still really not a fan of the overall Magnaflow tone, but at least it isn't painful to drive anymore. When (if) I ever get the funds to go with a rotated setup, I'll probably have a custom single-exit built. I would love to get my car to sound like an STi.

Welcome to extra mufflerhood, there are several of us now. I respectfully disagree with the sound of the Magnaflows (particularly with an extra magnaflow muffler). The sound is deep and purposefull. Unlike many STI's running around that sound too ricey for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, update from me: I had originally ordered the 4x9x14 oval muffler from Magnaflow. That thing is huge, and fitting it in the space everyone suggested is tough and requires work. I ended up saying "screw it" and sent it back, and ordered a round 5". I ended up paying a bit more due to shipping it back, but whatever.

Here are pictures taken with my really crappy cell phone, sorry. I'll try to get pics with my real camera soon.

I had the thing welded in instead of using clamps. Wish I had better pictures to show you the awesome job these guys did with the welding.

Verdict regarding noise: droning on highway is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced IMHO. Car still sounds nice under full throttle, but the inside of the car is a lot quieter. I drove by on WOT by the shop and the guys inside said it sounded good still. :)

Idle is also much, much quieter.

I am a happy customer!

IMAG0004.thumb.jpg.692f6f7454c5af60f27b2b5aeb3d43bd.jpg

IMAG0005.thumb.jpg.3e20e27ec78cd4909eb6cfbbe4b8b2e1.jpg

IMAG0009.thumb.jpg.9bf6d5b62de09b62efb8e5ab82d9bcc7.jpg

IMAG0010.thumb.jpg.e20f8a18e70c71eba8b0fbff7151105a.jpg

You lost quite a bit of ground clearance, especially if you're lowered.

I am getting the 4x9x14 welded next week.

Yeah, you have to be a little careful especially if you live in an area with a lot of speed bumps (like me). With the 4x9 i lost maybe 1/2 inch. It tucked in really nice. I think the Y section of the exhaust actually sits a bit lower...but of course thats by the wheels so not as much of an issue as the muffler sitting closer to the center of the car. I think you'll like the change.

You're talking about me?

I lost all of 1" of ground clearance.

^ maybe he is. but an inch can certainly be significant. stock we have about 6 inches. add different suspension set up and you could have as much as a 2 inch drop + another inch for the added muffler cuts your clearance in half. I know with my roads, 3 inch clearance isn't going to cut it.

this post has me a little worried...i'm about to install the same magnaflow in the same spot and just run 3" mandrel bends all the way out into 2 tips....was debating on a small resonator afterwards....i don't want it too loud...just a bit more than the stock setup. i guess we'll see....i can always modify it later.

^ maybe he is. but an inch can certainly be significant. stock we have about 6 inches. add different suspension set up and you could have as much as a 2 inch drop + another inch for the added muffler cuts your clearance in half. I know with my roads' date=' 3 inch clearance isn't going to cut it.[/quote']well, i realize 1" isn't exactly "nothing" but to get a 4x9 to fit in does take a tiny bit of work with the piping to get it to fit properly. i could've used clamps instead, but i didn't really want to. i wanted a nice weld, and to get it welded in properly would require some bends as evidenced by one of the posts here.

it doesn't fit in as snugly and neatly as easily as the posts led me to believe.

for that reason, i opted for the 5" round. maybe i should have gone with a 4" round and that might have been better.

as for ground clearance, i don't plan on lowering the car more than 1". :)

this post has me a little worried...i'm about to install the same magnaflow in the same spot and just run 3" mandrel bends all the way out into 2 tips....was debating on a small resonator afterwards....i don't want it too loud...just a bit more than the stock setup. i guess we'll see....i can always modify it later.

the 5" muffler made a significant difference (IMHO) in volume, and reduced the droning a lot on highway. before, it was just irritating as hell, but now it's just sort of... there and it's not annoying any more.

So, Hans the MF setup is completely straight-through from the cat-back to the MF mufflers? I run the Cobb HFC DP with Perrin resonated Mid/Y into the Prodrives. There have been times when I've thought about adding an additional resonator in the Mid-pipe (mostly for my dog's sake since he always rides in the "back."

It would be nice to have before/after sounds clips to compare it with, to determine what the pre/post outcome would sound like. There wouldn't be a lot of room to add in any of the versions that you've looked at, so not sure what I'd go with, but definitely do not want to lose ground clearance. Maybe just adding some sound isolation in the rear (under the rear seats and the hatch area) would do it with my setup...

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

pictures i took at night. maybe i'll take some during the day, but you can make out how low the muffler hangs compared to the rest of the exhaust.

it looks like it's sitting really low, but really, it's not. the 3" SPT sits pretty low by itself already, so compared to THAT, it really is only an extra inch.

also, it's hard to get a picture of this from the right angle. some shots make it look like the thing is sitting really low, but it's really just the angle shooting upwards from the ground.

971260573_IMG_0423(Large).thumb.JPG.e59c884b7f572eb53252609f256ccea4.JPG

1218295417_IMG_0424(Large).thumb.JPG.ad0b8a3007dd5ab3c130e290539cf4e8.JPG

490167070_IMG_0426(Large).thumb.JPG.e5330ce7ec2b124d5fdb033b1ab6359e.JPG

1878160076_IMG_0427(Large).thumb.JPG.30c380715e5d74157355ee809c8359df.JPG

I guess i'll add my 2 cents. I added the 4x9 magnaflow muffler and it's definitely quieter, but I could stand for it to be quieter when I get up fot like 60 or 70mph. It's much more liveable now. I have an ebay exhaust btw.

Archived