LegacyGT.com

Adding muffler to CBE to quiet it down. Opinions/experience needed.

HansGT

I friend of mine has the magaflow on his sedan and it's on the loud side. I can only imagine how loud it is on the wagon. I don't think you're going to be able to substantially get rid of the drone with a resonator. As long as you have a straight through exhaust it is going to resonate.

I just put on the perrin y back with the stock mufflers. The perrin has a resonator and the difference inside the car was substantial even though the mufflers did not change. I could not hear the exhaust at all before inside the car and it now sounds a lot like my stage 2 wrx used to sound inside. The motor, turbo, tires and exhaust all sound balanced. To be honest this is pretty much perfect for me but I do have a set of stock cans that I'll be playing with to see if I can add a little more sound without the drone.

I know it's a shame to modify an expensive cat-back, but magnaflow has the XL performance series mufflers that aren't straight through. They should flow much better than stock but be noticeably quieter.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 inch reducers? as in to put on a smaller diameter Muffler than your piping is?

Itll restrick the HELL outta your exhaust flow.

not according to the dyno tests done by boostjunkie using the megan exhaust and silencers. the 2" reducer at the tips had minimal reduction in power.

Sorry didnt know what you meant. I was thinking like Pipe reducers, as in to fit a resonator with a 2" inner diameter to 3" piping. And that would effect it more than silencers. I had one on my old old honda and there was NO performance loss to that one and OMG the sound reduction was PERFECT.... And yes my car was a little RICER, not a lot but anyway.

I am also interested in the progress of this thread.

I just put Magnaflows on my car, and wow - I cannot believe how loud it is. Seriously, people said it was loud but I was not expecting it to be as loud as running the stock catback with the mufflers off.

I'm looking at putting on both a 3rd muffler AND add some removable baffles/reducers to the tips.

Sorry didnt know what you meant. I was thinking like Pipe reducers, as in to fit a resonator with a 2" inner diameter to 3" piping. And that would effect it more than silencers. I had one on my old old honda and there was NO performance loss to that one and OMG the sound reduction was PERFECT.... And yes my car was a little RICER, not a lot but anyway.

That's what my friend was suggesting. Some 2" pipe reducers for the mufflers and just stick them in there to see what it does. $5 test. It should change it, but not sure to what extreme...I'm thinking very little. It might create a little back pressure which may be just fine with the stock turbo....3" is really overkill.

These silencers/bafflers work very well on fart cans and motorcycle mufflers, so I'm going to assume they're going to do a good job. It will force the exhaust/sound waves to bounce around inside the muffler rather than going straight through.

Let me know if you get measurements or find some that work. I found some online for about $15/piece

I'm going with the 11219 magnaflow. (4x9x14)

Its the only one I know what to expect and have seen it work on our cars. I think in the long run it will be the best sound wise for me and my family. Guy I work with has a custom set up with one of them in the mid pipe...ending with borla cans and it still sounds nice.

BWT...$65 from hottexhaust.com. Entered an outdated coupon to get it even cheaper but didn't work. 1-800 number popped up..."call for new coupon code". We'll see.....

I'm going with the 11219 magnaflow. (4x9x14)

Its the only one I know what to expect and have seen it work on our cars. I think in the long run it will be the best sound wise for me and my family. Guy I work with has a custom set up with one of them in the mid pipe...ending with borla cans and it still sounds nice.

BWT...$65 from hottexhaust.com. Entered an outdated coupon to get it even cheaper but didn't work. 1-800 number popped up..."call for new coupon code". We'll see.....

How much is it supposed to quiet it down? Any video clips or anything?

They called me back...but I didn't get to the phone. They may or may not have given me one....my order wasn't that much $$. Anyway I ordered it before they called me back cause I needed it shipped today. Yes $65.28 shipped to my door. Remember 11219 is satin stainless not polished so its a little cheaper. (who needs polished when you can't see it?)

Cost me $84 + tax in Northern VA, where everything is expensive. MIG welded, which is ugly, but just paint over it.

Warren

sorry man, no "ed".:p

Hans, what suspension are you running on? I might be doing this as well, more for drone at highway speeds.

lizard.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

JDM GT REV A Bilsteins + Swift springs. I'm worried a bit about clearance, but the muffler should be able to be put in place close to in line. Maybe a 1/2-3/4" drop. The suspension is pretty stiff so maybe I'll be fine. Bottom line...gotta hush it up a bit.

Mine was done inline. I had it added to the mid pipe before the Y, but after the heat shield ends after the downpipe.

The place that I went to actually has a mandrel bender, which is extremely rare.

Warren

SGT had a custom exhaust made by a mutual friend of ours which used a full sized muffler in the center. Get a piece of plate welded on between the muffler lip and the pipe, because even if it's well made, and placed, it will still scrape the leading edge on occasion.

For me, I was personally okay with a little more noise (offset by the ELH though, which dropped the drone considerably) since I'm usually the only one in my car.

Warren

Archived