LegacyGT.com

OEM Throttle body hose vs AVO Throttle body hose??

Really helpful thread. Going through the install issues right now. Hope to get it all sorted so I can get on to the GS AOS install that this is holding up.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey what was the exact orientation of the hose that worked for you guys... I must have tried every way that was remotely close (holding my stock piece in one hand and the AVO in the other). I am tempted to cut it down cause its too long and just misaligned, if i force it into place the AVO hose starts to pull off the bottom of the IC side.

Cheers

I cut about 1/2" off mine to get it to fit perfectly... others have done the same... side by side with the stocker it's obvious it's a little too long..

I cut about 1/2" off mine to get it to fit perfectly... others have done the same... side by side with the stocker it's obvious it's a little too long..

I ended up getting frustrated, just muscled it in there and tightened everything down... Because of this there is a slight kink in the AVO hose. Maybe someday I'll trim it down a bit. It got rid of my leak so I guess the peice served it's purpose.

I definitely need a picture of the AVO hose orientation because I installed mine yesterday, and needless to say, it was a PITA that left me on the side of the highway taking apart my engine. I got it back on and under load, it makes a weird noise like the hose is coming off. Suggestions? Opinions? Pictures? I feel like a noob.

^^ With mine, there was no physical way I could connect the intercooler bracket with the AVO hose. Putting the OEM and AVO side by side you could see the oEM was stubbier... I cut about 1/4 to 1/2" off the AVO and then put it on with t-bolt clamps... Did you put the IC bracket back on? Did you check and make sure the hose was on straight and fully?

I guess I am in the minority, but I successfully installed my avo tb hose, no trimming and also got my intercooler mounting bracket on. It took some trial and error, but worked out in the end.

It almost doesn't matter how someone else has the avo logo pointed. Because you will need to fine tune the clocking angle in order to get the intercooler mounted, interncooler bracket mounted, while keeping a good clearance with the clutch slave cylinder bolt underneath. But I think in general, the AVO logo should be pointed toward the drivers side, IIRC.

I scrapped my AVO TB pipe install. Just too much effort and it's too farking hot to spend that much time under physical strain. Took the stock hose, reattached the silicon girdle to the TB end, took off the girdle on the TMIC end and put everything back together again. The Perrin stealth TMIC went into the now girdleless end like a hand into a glove. I kept the bolts loose on the TMIC mounting brace and while holding the Perrin under pressure against the TB hose, tightened up the brace bolts, then tightened the TMIC TB hose side.

Result - Golden! :woowoo:

No more noise, boost comes on immediately and the car just runs way smoother at all pedal points. Effortless best describes the power delivery.

My Avo hasn't slipped off yet but I'm definitely up for running the stocker until she's gone if it blows off again. I'll just ensure to throw on some t clamps and tighten that bad boy really tight.

Interesting... that appears to be just the opposite of what everyone else is running, i.e., AVO logo pointed at the strut tower/battery on the TMIC end.

Thank you sir. That's how I tried to get mine to work. Finally gave up, despite my (queue Galaxy Quest Commander Peter Quincy Taggert (Tim Allen) voice) Never give up, Never surrender, philosophy. The AVO TB hose install was just Too much for too little...A bridge too far...a royal PITA. :spin:

I am going to have to try that orientation tomorrow. The way I have it on there now, at boost, it will make a deep whoosh tone from 3k to 4k in 3rd and 4th. I need to rid of that.

Thank you sir. That's how I tried to get mine to work. Finally gave up, despite my (queue Galaxy Quest Commander Peter Quincy Taggert (Tim Allen) voice) Never give up, Never surrender, philosophy. The AVO TB hose install was just Too much for too little...A bridge too far...a royal PITA. :spin:

+1 to that im going to cut it up and use pieces of it to secure my Racer X core when it turns up next week. Much better use for it :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I just went stage 2 friday night... tuned, then took it for a test drive. Ran great, then down shifted to 3rd double clutched and let it rip, hit 4th then heard a squeal.. got back to the house found out my problem.. so is everyone saying to go AVO tb hose.... i do have the AVO tmic and stock hose... I have not gotten back on it since tightening it due to not wanting to deal with it again... so problem solver is... AVO TB hose correct?

Yes, but for the time being, get the stocker lubed up with some hairspray so she doesn't come off until you manually go to take it off. Get some Tbolt clamps to tighten it down because the flathead clamps won't hold right for whatever reason.

• 1 year later...

When your hoses are popping off are they physically coming off of the TB? Im thinking I should get a new one. Its not actually popping off but the inner rubber thing seems like it wants to come out. It looks like this picture but not ripped. It wont stay in the hose it wants to flop out like that. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81853&stc=1&d=1268677668

Think its time for the AVO and some Tclamps. Im stage 2 BTW.

I would get the 3".

I'll add this about the AVO hose, it is easier to get the intercooler on and off now. It's like it is "broken in", the silicone has goten softer over time and it still seals tight and never leaks.

335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

I would get the 3".

I'll add this about the AVO hose, it is easier to get the intercooler on and off now. It's like it is "broken in", the silicone has goten softer over time and it still seals tight and never leaks.

Thats good. I went to take mine off yesterday to check it cause it looked funny and I loosened the hose to IC clamp. Tried to take the IC off and the hose came off at the TB. I didnt even loosen that clamp! Figured it wasnt sealing to well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I hate that hose lol I finally got mine on and to stay on but there is a kink/ bend In it but It has been tuned and driven so having that kink in it doesn't seem to effect it I guess lol sure seems like it would though
KMT Tuned

Archived