LegacyGT.com

OEM Throttle body hose vs AVO Throttle body hose??

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the stocker TG hose is just fine and that the AVO hose is probably just another part put on the market designed to do nothing other than make money for the vendor(s).

I've been running over 18psi on my stock hose without issue... Well, I forgot to install a t-bolt clamp on it when I did my engine work, and the hose popped off the other day because a worm gear clamp, apparently, isn't strong enough for my boost! I'm building boost while turning onto a deserted back country road.... care is accellerating, then.... Boom!!!! LOL

Now that its t-bolted, it hasn't moved so much as 1mm from its position.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
The AVO hose is a bit longer than stock, which makes it a bit easier to position the TMIC.

HUmm.... is it worth it for $59 buxx...

what 'inner donut'? You mean in the acctual stock throttle body hose there is a donut? Confused...

There is a rubber boot that fits over the end. It is removable.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81853&stc=1&d=1268677668I

attachment.php?attachmentid=81854&stc=1&d=1268677668

I had a boost leak and it came from the stock throttle body hose. It has an inner sleeve that pushed out. It held for about 6 months at 17.5 lbs of boost before failing. The end of the tube also looks expanded. It almost looks designed to fail at higher boost. I now have an AVO hose.

is this donut on throttle body side or turbo inlet side??

If you have an aftermarket intercooler, most instructions tell you to remove the rubber donut. If you have a stock one, you can still remove these off both ends.

I ran my stock with and without with no issues.

If you have an aftermarket intercooler, either Perrin or AVO. Get the AVO hose. It is worth the 59 bucks. Trust me.

Only thing you need to do with the AVO is lube it with some oil a bit while installing it. It is a tight fit but once it is on you will never have a leak again.

After its been on a while and sorta gets formed a bit. Taking on and off an aftermarket intercooler is cake.

My throttle body hose came off so I'll need to buy some t-bolt clamps to hold it on. How wide is the hose? 3 inches?

a range that includes 2.75+ should be about right.

if you want to really slam dunk it, consider using these clamps instead:

http://preracing.com/index.php/hose-clamps-c-53_341_342

a bit pricier, but these put t-bolts to shame in every way.

this is where i got mine years back when sourcing them was difficult, but you've got to buy into a bag.

http://www.topperformanceparts.com/index.html?&Vl=6&Tp=2

ya ive used the AVO tb hose with my IPR tmic and havent had any issues regarding popping off under boost even with regular clamps. i mean i used new ones but didnt have to buy the crazy tbolt ones. they couldnt hurt but on my stock VF40 @ stage 2 my hose hasnt budged after various WOT pulls. The stock seemed like no matter what i did it would not stay on once i pulled it :lol: so i went to AVO

:yeahthat::mad:

I think this is what's up with my IPR. I can hear a boost leak. I was starting to think my engine was bad (knock correction at low load -12°), but I changed my mind after I listed ultra-carefully. I think I merely exchanged one boost leak for another (OEM TMIC blew tabs out on left side, now it's leaking on the right :mad:)

Edit: Just pulled mine. Stock end was chewed up and had a hole in it from the hose clamp. Hose clamp is crap (and hardware stores are closed at 11PM). I slapped it all back together and tightened it down as good I could and what do you know... no more pulled timing -granted I only drove it down the street after idling it for a couple mins to check for leaks.

Thanks all! This seriously this has been bugging me ever since my install! :wub:

^^ Thanks for saving me the searching. I'll have to order.

I went to lowes and picked up a couple different sizes of regular (since I kind of emergency need it). My stocker is stripped and I think it blew out today. Car was running great this morning and I noticed only 1.4° timing pulled. Now it's back to the same old crap of pulling 11.8° :( I really hope this fixes it.

take the intercooler off..disconect hoses from diverter valve but leave it on the TMIC. you can then get access to it.

thanks man, are you referring to getting the hose on the tb itself? I actually mean getting the tb hose on to the IC outlet. I would assume the IC would need to be on the car so the tb hose could reach it.(??, I could be wrong). I can reach the top of the hose, but it seems tough getting your hands underneath it to get a good grip with the other crap that runs on top of it.

You can tell I am quite the mechanic!

Archived