LegacyGT.com

OEM Throttle body hose vs AVO Throttle body hose??

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think the only good thing about the avo hose is that you become much more willing to work with the oem hose. after messing around with the avo for a couple hours, for a couple of days, i just gave up and decided i'd go back to the oem hose. i was able to get it on there with no problems. i have to thank avo for restoring my faith in patience, it really is a virtue.

a tb hose should not be more difficult then the up pipe install :lol:

• 1 month later...
Huge PITA, and my hands are still cut up a week later. Here's what worked for me - finally. Key is that it's easier to get the throttle body end on, so do that last.

1. Disconnect the TMIC and completely remove the 3-bolt bracket from the driver's side.
  2. Lube the inside of the AVO tube and force the end with the lettering onto the TMIC fitting with the letters facing the battery - not straight up like someone else said (here I'm assuming that all AVO tubes have the lettering in the same place).
  3. Put the clamps loosely on the tube and orient so that you'll be able to get at the screws later.
  4. Grab the TMIC and force the free end of the AVO tube onto the throttle body fitting. Rotating it back and forth on the fitting helps.
  5. Once it's on, force it all the way on the fitting.
  6. Since the AVO tube is longer than the stock one, you'll have to lever the TMIC toward the front to get the mounting bolts to line up. First, loosly reinstall the 3-bolt bracket with the front two bolts. Then get someone to insert the rear bolt while you use a bar to pry the TMIC forward. Do this carefully by setting the end of the bar against the lip of the transmission tunnel and pushing against the side of the TMIC. Don't push agains the back of the TMIC or you'll bend it at the top.
  7. Once the 3-bolt bracket is on, bolt down the turbo side of the TMIC and tighten the clamps.

This procedure works great, and while the AVO hose is harder to install on the TB and the IC, once its on, it is sealed up way better than the stocker

Huge PITA, and my hands are still cut up a week later. Here's what worked for me - finally. Key is that it's easier to get the throttle body end on, so do that last.

1. Disconnect the TMIC and completely remove the 3-bolt bracket from the driver's side.
  2. Lube the inside of the AVO tube and force the end with the lettering onto the TMIC fitting with the letters facing the battery - not straight up like someone else said (here I'm assuming that all AVO tubes have the lettering in the same place).
  3. Put the clamps loosely on the tube and orient so that you'll be able to get at the screws later.
  4. Grab the TMIC and force the free end of the AVO tube onto the throttle body fitting. Rotating it back and forth on the fitting helps. I did it the other way: throttle body (clamped) then forced the TMIC in. Careful cause the clamp may travel down the hose (as it did for me) making it a true butt rape to get it back onto the TMIC lip.
  5. Once it's on, force it all the way on the fitting.
  6. Since the AVO tube is longer than the stock one, you'll have to lever the TMIC toward the front to get the mounting bolts to line up. First, loosly reinstall the 3-bolt bracket with the front two bolts. Then get someone to insert the rear bolt while you use a bar to pry the TMIC forward. Do this carefully by setting the end of the bar against the lip of the transmission tunnel and pushing against the side of the TMIC. Don't push agains the back of the TMIC or you'll bend it at the top.
  7. Once the 3-bolt bracket is on, bolt down the turbo side of the TMIC and tighten the clamps.

The procedure worked for me. Thanks. I did one step differently. Used silicone to lube the inside of the AVO tube and fitted it several times over the TMIC/TB so it can "loosen" a bit.

I was driving down the interstate and and all of a sudden, I hear what sounds kinda like a blow off valve coming from a turbo diesel truck every time I go into into boost. I knew it was a leak somewhere between the intercooler and the throttle body because it was coming the driver side of the engine bay. Come to find out the throttle body hose has blown a gasket on one side. So now, I am contemplating as to whether I should replace it with an OEM piece or the AVO piece below.

My only engine mods now are a lightweight pulley and Cobb State 1 map. Everything else is bone stock and I got about 77K miles. This throttle body hose was used (definitely not new) when it was put on back in February.

Anyone with this experience wanna chime in?

just FYI diesels dont have throttle bodies and dont have blow off valves i dont know what noise you are referring to

just FYI diesels dont have throttle bodies and dont have blow off valves i dont know what noise you are referring to

Well my father has an F250 turbo diesel truck and when you change gears, the sound of air pressure is released, thats what I was referring to, but thanks for the info.

• 3 months later...
The procedure worked for me. Thanks. I did one step differently. Used silicone to lube the inside of the AVO tube and fitted it several times over the TMIC/TB so it can "loosen" a bit.

I agree with the change here that is how I did mine as well.

I also used my synthetic oil to lube it to get it on and that works great.

Now that I have it in the correct position on the TB, I can take the intercooler on and off much more easy just by lubing the IC end a bit and shoving it on.

After having the Perrin FMIC, I have a bad taste in my mouth regarding FMIC's. Boost leaks galore!

ugh no shit. these cars were not made for FMIC. i wish i stayed TMIC. i had to replace my stock hose because it would not seal anymore and kept popping off. the avo one wasnt that hard to get on. only real problem i ran into was the avo hose was slightly bigger than stock so it changed the position of my intercooler piping and now i have rubbing. im so sick of my fmic

• 2 weeks later...

had my TB hose pop off last night at 9lbs of boost. that was fun.. Pulled out the damn pipe behind the intake manifold to the inlet too when it popped off. Hose popped off at the TB, not the TMIC. I have the TMIC on to pass smog. Now w/ a CEL, I have to clear it, and drive the car for 100+ miles before I can get it to pass smog.

The more I drive this car, the more I hate it...why did I mod it? :)

stay stock, stay happy

• 1 month later...

I did not have nearly as much problems. The tube fit onto the TB fine. The tube fit onto the TMIC (AVO) fine. The problem I encountered was getting the tube onto the TB at the correct angle. I had to remove and replaced it 50 (exageration) times before getting the angle right. Because it is longer than stock it "pushes" the TMIC to the side and back (towards the firewall).

No issues getting it on the TB or TMIC. Once I did get it lined up it worked fine.

In the end it worked no better than my OEM hose though. Now I know why I left it on the shelf for almost a year before installing it. Then it was only on the car for 2 months before going FMIC, lol.

Any particular reason to go AVO vs. stock for this, if both units are aligned and clamped properly? The only thing I read a few pages back was that the stock hose seems to tear easily...that's a good reason to me, but just checking if there are others.

Joe

Any particular reason to go AVO vs. stock for this, if both units are aligned and clamped properly? The only thing I read a few pages back was that the stock hose seems to tear easily...that's a good reason to me, but just checking if there are others.

Joe

The AVO hose is a bit longer than stock, which makes it a bit easier to position the TMIC.

the reason i went with this was because my stock hose would no longer seal. no matter what i did it would pop off under moderate boost. tbolt clamps and all. never had a problem with the avo although it is really overprices when you can buy a vibrant one for half the price

^ Because they don't fit right if you leave it on. This is why most people have an issue with the OEM hose. It is plenty long enough and strong enough. But the inner rubber boot causes a crappy seal to the aftermarket TMIC. It just pulls out. It is a two piece design from Subaru.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81853&stc=1&d=1268677668I

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=81854&stc=1&d=1268677668

I had a boost leak and it came from the stock throttle body hose. It has an inner sleeve that pushed out. It held for about 6 months at 17.5 lbs of boost before failing. The end of the tube also looks expanded. It almost looks designed to fail at higher boost. I now have an AVO hose.

1618842978_crawford002.jpg.a8e0be82b1c528c8a8d608ff38ca9256.jpg

2111810136_crawford003.jpg.ce412987255203b8f6cccfb406f1f70c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived