LegacyGT.com

Fuel Economy Improvements

That's not true. Stage 1 and to improve the gas mileage because the stock tune is richer most stage 1-2. Look at you fueling tables. Stock tune is not the greatest. I helped scale a friends MAF and in the normal driving range it varied from +17% to -14% corrections on a bone stock car. What mileage did you get when you went stage 1 or 2? Plus the SPT intake has been shone to lose power by alot of people. I saw about a 2mpg bump each stage. I was getting @27mpg on stage2.

What are you getting now with the current setup :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mid to low 20's. I don't know if it's me or my 830 injectors. ;) But I still think it's good for a 340whp car.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 3 weeks later...
Does anybody's MPG reading on the dash jump around like lottery numbers? Man, mine goes from 22 to 7 to 99 on a stock ECU with upgrades. Seems like it averages 17-10mpg with conservative driving. Guess I should get an AP and a custom tune.

I don't think you'll ever get the payback from buying AP. Buy it or get in touch with one of the tuners on here and talk to them about more power, and better timing maps.

Do it for the power, then it becomes worth it.

The car becomes much more fun to drive. I have had my AP for 100,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does anybody's MPG reading on the dash jump around like lottery numbers? Man, mine goes from 22 to 7 to 99 on a stock ECU with upgrades. Seems like it averages 17-10mpg with conservative driving. Guess I should get an AP and a custom tune.

press the button again

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread one more time. I seem to be getting what's "average" for MPG. I travel on the freeway home and do minimal city driving. That being said, I get stuck in traffic a lot. Lately I've been traveling off hours, so most of the time I'm at a steady cruise.

I'm at a stg2 with an infamous1 tune, a blitz panel filter, gutted DP, STI UP, and I'm at a 5EAT tranny.

So... now that it's summer I'm lucky to still get around 20mpg, maybe 21mpg. AC is always on because it's hot as hell.. but I'd love to try to boost this MPG a bit. I just ordered some NGK plugs, can't remember the exact model, but it's the 1 step colder. I'm at around 54K on the clock, so I'm sure it's due for a change of plugs, but it's so f'ing hot I don't feel like it "yet".

So.. anything that I may be missing that could/would help? I'm using the 93 octane here, tires are well inflated (actually a little over inflated because I hate the squishy sidewalls I have). Even when I did a nice long trip and put it on the cruise control at 75mph it only went up to 22.5mpg. How disappointing!

Will this plug change help me any? I'm going to do it eventually, but I'm just bored and thinking of anything I could change. I'm using 5w30 castrol syntec, and my engine burns almost no oil, so I'm not going to change my habits! :) No I'm not heavy on the gas, because I really don't care too much for the acceleration (it doesn't get me anywhere in traffic anyways, and when it's empty there's no need to push it anyways).

Thanks boys. I know this is a tired thread, but I just read a bunch of threads and it seems I'm SOL here.. anyone come up with new ideas?

What made a noticeable difference to me was changing the transmission fluid. Inflating the tires to a higher than normal pressure helped too. Also, to keep the regular oil changes every 3500-4000. With synthetic your frequency of checks would come later.

Think of all the frictional components in your car when making this choice. When I had a stick, I would try and put the clutch in when I knew I could coast to a stop. I see a lot of people down-shifting to slow down causing wear on the drive line and burning fuel.

no it won't... and if it does, you have other serious problems

I see a lot of people down-shifting to slow down causing wear on the drive line and burning fuel.

does cause wear... burns ZERO fuel

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Hmm changing of 5eat fluid. I do need to do that. Last time I put in the tranny oil cooler the fluid looked brand new, so I just put that to the back of my mind.

The website Fuelly doesn't help too much, the average mpg is skewed from no distinction of turbo and non-turbo models, but the ones I did see either were poor, or just around 22mpg. Ie I don't think I can do much better... boo.

I've been running my 06 Legacy 2.5 on Ethos for the past year and a half and have added 1-2 mpg every fill-up. It's a natural product that increases fuel effeciency and helps your engine run cleaner. I just drove from Pa to SC last week and averaged 31 mpg at 70-75 mph. It won't show a change immediately, but if you use it religiously for a few months you will see a change for the better..at least i did. And use a quality oil at regular changes.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
How many miles does everyone get to a tank? I average around 210 miles (very conservative driving..with the occasional fast acceleration) till the gas light comes on. Which seems very low to me.. If the tank is 16.9 gallons, and the light comes on at after burning 15 gallons lets say, then that's 14!!!! Miles per gallon... and it takes about 35 miles after I fill it up completely till the gauge is actually at full (over filling.. I guess).. The calculator on my dash says 21 average (I do mainly highway), and if I'm getting 21 mpg, and it takes 15 gallons burned for the light to come on, that's 315 miles.... My ODO trip (reset when I leave the gas station) highest has been 220.. Are others' numbers close to mine? Should I check anything? My car has 91k miles on it.

^^^ just took a little look under the hood.. The prior guy before me, had the connector to the 02 sensor disconnected and a capacitor completing the curcuit on the end that goes to the computer... I've had this car for about 5,000 miles and just thinking of the hundreds of dollars I've wasted with 14 miles per gallon. 😩😩😩

^^^ just took a little look under the hood.. The prior guy before me, had the connector to the 02 sensor disconnected and a capacitor completing the curcuit on the end that goes to the computer... I've had this car for about 5,000 miles and just thinking of the hundreds of dollars I've wasted with 14 miles per gallon.

smiles per miles. Who buys a turbo'd car for MPG? Who buys a subi for mpg? I'm lucky if I break 20mpg on the freeway.

How many miles does everyone get to a tank? I average around 210 miles (very conservative driving..with the occasional fast acceleration) till the gas light comes on. Which seems very low to me.. If the tank is 16.9 gallons, and the light comes on at after burning 15 gallons lets say, then that's 14!!!! Miles per gallon... and it takes about 35 miles after I fill it up completely till the gauge is actually at full (over filling.. I guess).. The calculator on my dash says 21 average (I do mainly highway), and if I'm getting 21 mpg, and it takes 15 gallons burned for the light to come on, that's 315 miles.... My ODO trip (reset when I leave the gas station) highest has been 220.. Are others' numbers close to mine? Should I check anything? My car has 91k miles on it.

First stop comparing miles to tank, everyone's definition of "full tank" is different. The best thing you can do is take miles driven, divide it by gallons filled up which gives you the actual MPG. Now that number is comparable to others.

As for the guy that resistor patched the O2 sensor, that's bad, can you see what kind of resistance it was giving? Just want to make sure he didn't cause any other kind of failures...

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I get 270-290 a tank in my stage 2 07 Lgt...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived