LegacyGT.com

Wax on top of Klasse SG?

Hi all,

I recently detailed the LGT (and the Civic) with a full wash/clay bar/klasse AIO/klasse SG treatment.

I've been thinking about the Leggy and how she always get stuff "stuck" to her. I'd like to do some intermittent waxes before my late-fall, pre-winter detailing where I do all the above steps again.

I've never waxed on top of SG. I've heard it's fine.

My question is: I've got a bunch of various waxes lying around (I think all car guys have a collection of half-used car waxes). Mother's showtime wax. Meguair's cleaner wax. Maybe a few others.

I'm wondering if these are ok to apply on top of the SG after a thorough wax and dry of the car. I suspect the cleaner wax may not be a good choice, but what about the mothers?

I'm just hoping to layer on a bit of extra protection. Our cars are taking an absolute beating with tree debris, pollen, and bird crap. I had to grind the Klasse AIO into my Civic's paint to remove the residue/oxidation that the bird crap left.

Thanks,

Joe

Like praedet said make sure it's a pure wax not a clear like Meg NXT or OTC Zymol etc.. .

How may coats of SG have you done? I usually do 2-3 coats (min 24hrs between coats) before I top it off w/ a carnauba.

I don't have a garage and I park under a tree...meaning getting one coat of SG on after AIO and before the car is covered in pollen is difficult.

So to get your answer: I give it one coat of SG and do this twice a year :)

I'll avoid the cleaner wax (might as well throw that out one of these days), but I'll use up my mother's showroom wax (liquid carnuaba IIRC).

I still have half a container of turtle ice wax, which I liked for a quick detail but which I found hazed headlights, made black plastics fade, and which made black rubber (i.e. tires) look brown after it wore off.

Otherwise, it was great for about 1 week :)

I still have half a container of turtle ice wax, which I liked for a quick detail but which I found hazed headlights, made black plastics fade, and which made black rubber (i.e. tires) look brown after it wore off.

You shouldn't be getting wax on your black plastic trim... I have heard you can you can remove they haze left behind with peanut butter. Never tried it though.

Lol to both of you :)

Sorry, Turtle Wax ice (meant to spell it that way, doh!) is a synthetic polish that can be applied to all surfaces, including plastics, glass, and rubber. It's actually MEANT to be applied to them, as it's supposed to be protectant.

It does a real nice shine on the tires (with a wet look) but when it faded, the tires were brown. I switched to using Aerospace Protectant 303 on the tires and a little bit goes a long way and gives a nice black matte.

Anyhoo....back to waxing my headlights.

Archived