LegacyGT.com

Sharing an upcoming change in my life

Hey all,

I wanted to share with the LGT community about an upcoming change in my life.

I was just accepted into a "fast-track" (2-year full-time-equivalent) MBA program at Villanova Univ. (a great university IMO and a really solid business school).

I'll begin this fall in a cohorted class that will go for almost 2 years straight. I've already begun re-aligning some of my priorities (I've given in that I won't be buying that e39 m5 for awhile yet, and I'm focusing on getting tires for my 2006 Civic Si that are more focused on lasting 45k+ miles instead of 30k :)

Anyway, this community has been great and I'll continue to be addicted to checking on it. I imagine I won't be going stage 2 anymore in the next year, but I can live vicariously through everyone else :)

Thanks for listening :)

Joe

Congratulations....

Business school is great pal... I am at Harvard myself, and lots to learn...

You will definitely go crazy with so many team work projects, huge analytical papers to be written, etc etc... But that all contribute to a great future leadership career....

All the best,

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Guest heightsgtltd

Congrats Joe! Graduate school can be a good thing ;). It's smart to scale back with purchases as just graduating from a good grad school of any kind, law, PhD, MD, MBA doesn't guarantee you a position in any way..

Flavio you are there now? First or second year? I have a friend from work who is in her second semester there and loves it.

congrats!

just wondering, what do you do for work? just trying to see in what ways the MBA will help you out :)

I'm a project manager at a pharmaceutical services firm. I provide a niche service in the drug development part of the industry. My company is the best in the business (I believe our services are the best, and we've definitely overcome our competitors in shear revenue as people as well).

To put my long-term goals into a couple of paragraphs, the pharma industry is absolutely rife with inefficiency, cost over-runs, and people who just stopped caring about doing things right.

I plan on using this chaotic and fertile ground to launch my own pharma-services firm in the 7-10 year timeframe. Whether that is a consultancy or something that provides more concrete services, I'm not sure yet.

In the meantime, I'd like to use the MBA opportunity and my current work placement to gain experience in growing a small domestic business into an international powerhouse, strategic acquisition and integration of a competitor(s), and garnering some more managerial experience in growing my direct-report team.

Hope that helps explain what I do and why I looked into the degree program :)

Good luck!

Thanks Rao!

I assume that I'll learn in the MBA program that the cost-benefit of synthetic vs. dino skews in a different direction than I frequently advocate....

and then I'll be back all edumacated :)

To put my long-term goals into a couple of paragraphs, the pharma industry is absolutely rife with inefficiency, cost over-runs, and people who just stopped caring about doing things right.

I couldn't agree more. I am intimately familiar with pharma distribution, and Yowzas - what a colossally over-complicated business that is. There is SO much room for efficiency and savings (to be passed on to end consumers).

What service specifically does your current company provide?

Congrats on the new chapter in your life!

Enjoy case studies. Good luck at school. Sounds like your excited.

I am looking to do a corporate job for a few years then do something on my own as well! Best of luck to you.

I couldn't agree more. I am intimately familiar with pharma distribution, and Yowzas - what a colossally over-complicated business that is. There is SO much room for efficiency and savings (to be passed on to end consumers).

What service specifically does your current company provide?

Congrats on the new chapter in your life!

Hi Sean,

I provide patient recruitment services for Phase II-IV clinical trials. Without tooting my own horn, my company is the best there is and, on average, provides 20-30% of the patients recruited in the U.S. on studies we are brought onto.

Not sure how familiar you are with the current state of the drug development side, but 80% of all studies run over their planned timeframe because there aren't sufficient patients to get the drug FDA approved. We can remove that time overrun on about 80-90% of those studies (some are just too poorly setup for anything to help). In alot of cases, we can shorten the timelines.

The amount of cost-savings to the pharma companies is staggering...it costs about $1.6 million/month to run a Phase III study just in direct costs. Each day saved is another day in patent if the drug is approved....

The list goes on. Anyhoo, alot of that cost-savings can be paid onto the consumer when a drug costs only 3.6 billion to develop instead of 4.0 billion :)

If you can't tell, I enjoy my job.

Joe

Congrats Joe. What you want to do in your field (branch out and start your own gig), is something I aspire to do in my own field.

Good luck to you!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Hi Sean,

I provide patient recruitment services for Phase II-IV clinical trials. Without tooting my own horn, my company is the best there is and, on average, provides 20-30% of the patients recruited in the U.S. on studies we are brought onto.

Not sure how familiar you are with the current state of the drug development side, but 80% of all studies run over their planned timeframe because there aren't sufficient patients to get the drug FDA approved. We can remove that time overrun on about 80-90% of those studies (some are just too poorly setup for anything to help). In alot of cases, we can shorten the timelines.

The amount of cost-savings to the pharma companies is staggering...it costs about $1.6 million/month to run a Phase III study just in direct costs. Each day saved is another day in patent if the drug is approved....

The list goes on. Anyhoo, alot of that cost-savings can be paid onto the consumer when a drug costs only 3.6 billion to develop instead of 4.0 billion :)

If you can't tell, I enjoy my job.

Joe

That's a side of it I don't see much of - very cool though. I'm now with a shop that tangles with the FDA quite a bit, so I am familiar with how reasonable they tend to not be. It's great that you love your job. No great things are ever accomplished without passion.

Hey all,

I wanted to share with the LGT community about an upcoming change in my life.

I was just accepted into a "fast-track" (2-year full-time-equivalent) MBA program at Villanova Univ. (a great university IMO and a really solid business school).

I'll begin this fall in a cohorted class that will go for almost 2 years straight. I've already begun re-aligning some of my priorities (I've given in that I won't be buying that e39 m5 for awhile yet, and I'm focusing on getting tires for my 2006 Civic Si that are more focused on lasting 45k+ miles instead of 30k :)

Anyway, this community has been great and I'll continue to be addicted to checking on it. I imagine I won't be going stage 2 anymore in the next year, but I can live vicariously through everyone else :)

Thanks for listening :)

Joe

Look At Me!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Congratulations, Joe.

And when you get filthy rich....don't forget who your friends are.;)

Lol - I'm not going into investment banking or any other seriously lucrative field (1+mm per year). Maybe I'll start my own business one day, but I don't plan on rewarding myself so much unless my employees are making industry-leading pay, and even then I'd rather re-invest the money into the company.

I'd just like to make enough money to support my desires (nice house 4 bedroom house, 3-4 car garage, no empty garage stalls), not require my wife to work, retire around 55, and be able to be philanthropic how I want. Is that too much to ask?

Hehe

Guest heightsgtltd

:lol:

Depending on where you want to live, you may need a good deal more than 1 mil to reach those goals!! :p

hehe, round here those goals (for me) are about $250k a year and wise living. The house would be $450,000-600,000, I didn't identify WHAT cars would fill the stalls, and retiring at 55 means I need to bank ~20% of my salary a year for the next 30 years. My philanthropic desires mean donating 10% of my salary.

$250k a year = about $12k a month in post-tax income....yeah, I think I could live off that....lol :)

The MBA is just something that opens that door slightly wider. It doesn't turn the knob.

Speaking of which: back to work :)

honestly

Archived