LegacyGT.com

Driving with your hand on the shift knob

DarkOblivion000

So I was just reading the owner's manual for sh*ts and giggles, and I came across this note:

"Do not drive with your hand resting on the shift lever. This may cause wear on the transmission components".

Really?? I drive with my hand on the shift knob all the time...

Maybe it means if you move the shift knob around in gear?

Nope, the weight of your hand on the shifter will cause excessive wear on the synchro's, you shouldn't do it unless you enjoy grinding noises when shifting.

Nope, the weight of your hand on the shifter will cause excessive wear on the synchro's, you shouldn't do it unless you enjoy grinding noises when shifting.

That's a lie. Once the gear is engaged, there is no additional wear on the synchros (the shift collar slides over the balk, and directly engages the gear).

BUT, keeping your hand heavy on the shifter in 1st, 3rd, or 5th, will put some stress on the shift collars (as the extra weight will effectively try to pull the shifter out of gear). In 2nd or 4th (i.e. pulling back on the shifter), there isn't a WHOLE lot bad that can happen, but you'll still be putting undue stress on the collars.

The warning has nothing to do with synchro damage.

In the older cars, there was a ring on 2nd gear that, if shifting into 3rd and keeping pressure on the shifter, would bend over and contact the gear teeth. That would introduce little metal particles into the fluid and turn your trans fluid into liquid sandpaper. But that would do very little damage over a very long period of time.

Is it a good idea? No. It's not a good idea to keep a lot of weight pulling/pushing the shifter while driving.

The other problem, that I am sure the owners manual is trying to discourage, is that keeping your hand on the shifter means it's not on the steering wheel. Having only one hand on the wheel means you have 50% less control over the car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I usually have my right hand firmly gripped around a cell phone or a Starbucks when I drive.

My left hand is usually flipping though CDs.

I steer with my knees.

(sorry I'm punchy after a long Sunday afternoon with my sick toddler.)

I drive with my hand on my knob all the time, never had a problem yet

:lol:

not that one silly

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

How much wear does it actually cause? It sounds like it would be something negligible... like having the A/C on will decrease gas mileage. cmon who tf cares.

Before I learned to drive stick I thought EVERYONE always had one hand on the wheel and one hand on the stick. Only later did I learn that you only have your hand on the stick when you're shifting...

Not a noticeable amount. At least not in terms of synchro wear. I mean, on my 98 Forester, I usually rested my hand on the shifter and I had 200k on that trans. On tear down, it actually looked alright. Some bearing wear, but nothing that I would directly attribute to having my hand on the shifter.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What about the steering wheel? I usually rest my hand on the steering wheel, am I ok?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

you're going to wear out steering column components

:eek: well how do I steer then?

:eek: well how do I steer then?

That's funny that you ask that... I was watching old episodes of Top Gear (this british show about cars) last night, and one episode the guy reviews a car that has the most comfortable backseat ever (it has a fridge and a fold down little table for drinks and stuff).

So he ends up trying to drive the car from the back seat, using a pole with a hook for the clutch, and a broomstick to hit the brake/gas, and strings hooked up into the visor and down onto the steering wheel to steer. THAT'S how you steer :lol:

Archived