LegacyGT.com

4 days and my LGT is dead

hey guys, what an interesting 4 days of ownership Ive had with my 05 LGT! :rolleyes: I bought the car last week on Wed. Friday comes and as i apply the brakes and clutch at a stop sign, I heard and feel a loud vibration noise from under me. I continued to drive, with no problems. Sat comes and the wife and I are headed to a wedding. I get 1/8 of a mile from my house and the vibrating comes back. Motor revs fine, trans shifts fine, but the car will only do 10 mph. Then the smoke comes....and a horrible worse than burning motor oil smell. Took the car to the mechanic today and well....the differential behind the tranmission is in his words "disintigrated". I bought the car as is from a dealer, so now im having the decisions whether to proceed with legal action. PA has a law that if we can prove the seller knew this was a problem when he sold it to me he is liable. Good luck proving that right??? So here I am 4 days of owning my LGT and I have a $1200 repair bill awaiting me.

have you talked to the dealer yet? I had my clutch go out less than a week after I bought it. the dealership told me they weren't going to leave me hangin if something were to happen, and I think they did it cause there reputation was a good one.. they replaced my clutch free of charge..

that sucks! you might be able to win for the repairs in small claims court. wouldnt be hard but you'd have to decide if the time spent is worth it. see if you can get an opinion from the mechanic if an existing problem was probably the cause.

theres no sort of lemon law down there? I feel like even buying something "as is" you wouldn't be able to tell that the diff is dead without taking it apart....seems a little bit extreme to be considered "as is" ... have you tried talking to a lawyer?

that sucks, good luck with it

yeah 4 days would be within lemon laws if you have em. how many miles did you put on the car?

I put 200 miles on it. The lawyer says we could have a case, however will my layer fees out weigh just paying for the thing to be fixed? My mechanic says he will back me, and go to court if he has to. He says it looks like the differential just exploded. Is the part that broke on my car that weak of a part??? I mean are we talking a fluke break or has my car seen repetitive 3000 rpm clutch drops? Is there an after market one I should think about getting?

My 05 drove fine the night before 2nd gear lost 1/3 of it's teeth sitting over night. I pulled out of my driveway the next morning and on the first shift into 2nd gear it began making a loud noise. Trailered it into the shop and they said 1/3 of theeth were missing. I have the old gear. It just happened sitting there. This was appox. 200 miles after the 2nd tranny rebuild.

So I guess things can just happen overnight. Yea, right, I think there was stress from the previous problems, one which required a new case the over time weaken the gear.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do not buy cars that are "As Is" That is a flag right there
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

pretty sure there is no lemon law on used cars. How many miles are on the car? Is it still under powertrain warranty?

Also, your mech said the center diff grenaded...... it's a sealed unit, how does he know?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

When you bought the car as-is were the fluids ok? I usually take an as-is car straight to the mechanic for a complete fluid change on everything (brake fluid, oil, tranny, diffs) after buying. Is this a Subaru dealer?? Do tell.

perhaps a looksie by a mechanic before purchase would've uncovered this problem?
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

What i'm wondering is how much did you pay for the car? Did you save more than 2K by going to a dodgy dealer and not get a warranty?

Sucks man, really does. gotta wish the best of luck for getting the asshats to pay up.

Name of said "dealer" please?

+1

One thought is to publish the name of the dealer here and give us all his e-mail address. Then, let's each contact him and let him know that we expect him to do right by one of our fellow posters. Instead of beating him up on here, let's give him a chance to correct the mistake. It's worth a shot and it really harnesses the power of our community.

Every car I've ever bought was as-is, cash private sale. Not everyone is trying to sell a broken vehicle. I've never had a problem (knock on wood).

Yes, but you should also inquire why before you purchase it. Also expecting compensation or a free repair because a car broke when their is no warranty should be a no brainer as well depending on the legality of things.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I'm surprised at the assumption of malice towards the dealer.

A differential went out within 200 miles of the OP purchasing the car. How in the heck would the dealer hide that for 200 miles? It's not like you can put new fluid in there and "bam" it goes away for 4 days and 200 miles.

The OP bought the car "as-is" and this is a worst-case scenario under "as-is".....you get stuck with a large repair bill shortly after buying the car.

I agree with someone else: the car was most likely improperly towed. Now if you can prove the dealer was the one who did the improper towing and then sold the car....that might be something.

Otherwise, who knows if the dealer bought it at an auction and it was improperly towed beforehand or what.

emon laws do not apply to used vehicles. You wouldn't win anything in small claims court. What would be the cause of action? Fraud? Misrepresentation? If they told you "runs like new" or something like that then you might have a DTPA claim. Google Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

Good luck!

pretty sure there is no lemon law on used cars. How many miles are on the car? Is it still under powertrain warranty?

Also, your mech said the center diff grenaded...... it's a sealed unit, how does he know?

There is in certain states. In WI dealers are responsible if anything happens 30 days after you by a car from them. Alot of dealers in southern WI try to use that to get IL buyers to come up here and get cars because IL has no laws to protect car buyers from a shady dealer.

it has 109k. no its not under warranty. And im guessing it was the trail of fluid the lead into his shop and I think he said it was a hole in it. Im not sure.

Archived