LegacyGT.com

4 days and my LGT is dead

I'm surprised at the assumption of malice towards the dealer.

A differential went out within 200 miles of the OP purchasing the car. How in the heck would the dealer hide that for 200 miles? It's not like you can put new fluid in there and "bam" it goes away for 4 days and 200 miles.

The OP bought the car "as-is" and this is a worst-case scenario under "as-is".....you get stuck with a large repair bill shortly after buying the car.

I agree with someone else: the car was most likely improperly towed. Now if you can prove the dealer was the one who did the improper towing and then sold the car....that might be something.

Otherwise, who knows if the dealer bought it at an auction and it was improperly towed beforehand or what.

all questions ive asked myself.....Im not a person to just sue someone for no reason. Ive been kicking it around, beating myself up for 2 days. All I know, is I paid $8000 for a car that i got to drive back and forth to work twice and now i have nothing. Its sitting at the shop waiting for me to decide. I guess Ishould just probably let him fix it and use this as a learning experience.

Find out more details as to what exactly happened, and some folks here may be able to help you with diagnoses. I've not heard of any differential failures on the LGTs so far. There were some problems with spontaneously exploding throw out bearings, but that doesn't sound like what you have from what you've said.

I definitely wouldn't trust that dealer just from how they approached the problem, but at the same time I agree with the others. Had they taken the time to investigate it and try to help you out, I think they would have discovered it was improperly towed or something in the past, and was nothing they were aware of or liable for.

On the bright side, $1200 isn't that bad, but you better have it taken to a qualified Subaru mechanic to check out the rest of the drivetrain and look for other damage that may be missed.

Mossy - $1200 is not bad honestly....so you've got $9200 into the LGT at that point. That's still not bad, for the caliber of the car.

As Shadow said, make sure your mechanic or whoever does the work knows Subaru AWD systems well. You don't want to do the install and only find out there's another problem after re-assembly :)

Joe

By the by, $8000 is an absolute steal for an LGT. I've seen LGT 'shell' cars in good condition where the drivetrain is known to be completely blown out sell for around $6000, and those usually require more in the realm of $6000-8000 worth of work. If the exterior & interior are in good shape, even with $1200 of repairs you got a hell of a deal.

I agree with everything you guys have said. And yes the money involved isnt "that bad" I guess its just the fact that I bought a car 6 days ago and only got to drive it 200 miles and now its just sitting there. Im not looking for anything given to me, I guess I was just hoping for the dealer to be a decent guy and say "hey, you bought a car from me, and it took a sh*t in 4 days, thats not right, Ill make it right"

He should have, but he definitely isn't obligated too....also, I think dealers tend to be less forgiving about "performance-oriented" cars, especially manual transmission'd AWD models :)

Shadow - I think the 8k pricetag was because the car has over 100k miles on it. That seems about right.

You should try to find out where he got the car from, isn't there a way to track it somewhere, I thought they tracked one on all over the US on a top gear show once, if you could find out who transported it you may be able to talk to them, the real shady part to me is the fact that dealer will fix it if parts are paid for...but I'm with everyone else that the car was towed on its back wheels. There are soo many other things to break on that car before the diff if it were beat on.

Archived