LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights, .. a work in progress

ArcTec34

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmm, it would be cool to set up a circuit to make the blinker LED's slide along the strip (like one after another, so if you're turning to the right they would slide from the left to the right, outer portion of the tail light). but I don't know if that's possible with these strip LED's, I feel like you'd need to be able to tap into each LED separately.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89300&highlight=clear+taillights&page=3

There is the link for "Clear Taillights" I specifically picked page three because the cut outs looks way better than the full clear.

Sorry if this is somewhat "Hijacking" the forum, just wanted people to know how much cooler LED's will look rather than cleared tails :-P

hey arc, here's a crazy idea.. are you familiar with the land rover range rover taillights? They have a dual function taillight that has an integrated amber blinker cluster inside a red lense. Do you think you could use the top reflector to put every other LED amber and red so that it dual functions?

Might be cool... if its not a wiring nightmare..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

hmm, it would be cool to set up a circuit to make the blinker LED's slide along the strip (like one after another, so if you're turning to the right they would slide from the left to the right, outer portion of the tail light). but I don't know if that's possible with these strip LED's, I feel like you'd need to be able to tap into each LED separately.

I'm no longer using strips- everything will be using components/I put it all together, and will be making plenty of fun circuits. Yeah, thats possible, but not my cup of tea

hey arc, here's a crazy idea.. are you familiar with the land rover range rover taillights? They have a dual function taillight that has an integrated amber blinker cluster inside a red lense. Do you think you could use the top reflector to put every other LED amber and red so that it dual functions?

Might be cool... if its not a wiring nightmare..

Yeah I'm sure its possible, but I don't really care for it and I have enough to do on these lights already.. and on top of that I have finals, so after finals then I'll crank these things out..

I'm no longer using strips- everything will be using components/I put it all together, and will be making plenty of fun circuits. Yeah, thats possible, but not my cup of tea

i dunno if it would even be legal. probably no moving lights, would sorta look police-ish and none of that is allowed.

but that's good you're making your own. can do more with it.

Great to see someone actually doing this project! I'm thinking about how to make LED tails too, but chickened out when I realized they have to be cut open.

You should use red LEDs behind red lenses, not clear LEDs, as it sounds like you already concluded. I don't have supporting evidence right now, but that is the brightest way. Depending on the exact wavelengths involved, very little of the "white" light gets through a red lens.

Also, new Mustangs have sequential rear turn signals, so it must be legal. They use incandescent bulbs. It looks less eye-catching to me. I prefer the snappy LED on/off.

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats on finishing your finals, and your first year! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Making sequential signals is not difficult, if you know how to design circuits. I had sequential signals designed and prototyped for my old Sentra, and it was a pain, but looked badass.

Here's a quick vid of what I did:

Blinkers :: Sequential without lens video by Dark-V - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid144.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid144.photobucket.com/albums/r175/Dark-V/LED%20Lights/2002%20Tail%20Lights/Blinkers/074.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid144@@AMEPARAM@@144@@AMEPARAM@@r175/Dark-V/LED%20Lights/2002%20Tail%20Lights/Blinkers/074

The flickering was cause of a crappy push button switch I was using to activate them.

Totally into this. If you end up going for it, please post images... Of course, I can't do it to my car but anything new and different is f***ing sweet! Go for it!
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived