LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights, .. a work in progress

ArcTec34

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn! That's sweeeeeeet!!!! :D Great job!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

it does look awesome. So now the question is.. is this something you plan to do as a core charge for people? You could easily make these plug n play using the same 7440 plugs, or you could re-wire the harness for each taillight.

cos.. I wouldn't be totally against the idea. :wub:

but I am trying feverishly to move out of my terrible neighborhood, so no guarantees.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I put wayy more time and effort than I thought originally. I won't be making anymore, sadly, as I don't think I could charge enough to get my time back that I put into them :-p

it really was tons of work..

it'd be much easier on subsequent attempts. ;)

I know how that is tho. Much easier ot make something for yourself than to make it for a bunch of people.. and unless you plan on making a job out of it its not often worth the effort.

We ran into similar with the oem screen thing.. I spent well over $3k on the carputer project as a whole, and only $400 of that was the carputer itself... the rest was trying to make things so that others could use it.

in the end I just wound up disappointing myself and alot of others. :(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ It's hard to get projects off the ground. Don't feel bad.

With hobbyist-based projects, the biggest problem I see, for the hobbyist doing the work/offering the service, is *proper* compensation....not in that too much is asked, but often, it's just too little, and the project/sales that starts off as a labor of love, just becomes laborious and tasking at the end, and sours the process.

I think that it's really important that, if a project is to be tackled on a larger-scale basis, that the person doing the work/offering the service at least be compensated for their time in a reasonably profitable manner.

The initial development costs may never be recouped, but at least the guy/gal shouldn't be made to suffer, for having to devote their own free time to slaving away for us. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

+1 one on that. No matter how simple it is straight forward there is going to be something thats going to go left and like TSI has just stated laborious and tasking at the end and the love of it will be gone.
Mr.350

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Whoa. That's rad. :)

What do they do for the reverse lights?

i've been thinking about this since i ordered my last little pack of leds from autolum. way i see it, i really think it would be possible to get a nice setup going for ~300, and possibly not even cracking open the housing.

they have a nice & powerful little 6 X 1W unit (20 bucks) that i think might be relatively simple to array inside the housings (i got 2 for my trunk, but only used one, it's great in there -- i also have 2 of a variation of this unit [1W X 3] in my map lights for years now, so i trust they are fairly reliable).

i think 6-8 of those per side would do it up very nicely. and the 3m they come backed with certainly fuels bracketing/mounting imagination.

perhaps one day i can give it a go, but don't really have the disposable scratch atm.

i was also thinking of just using a pair in the reverse light area, and doing a touch of wiring to convert to amber signals out back.

here's a link if any brave diy'ers are curious (this one is on the festoon page, but that's not significant). it's about 1/2 way down, in the aluminum housing:

http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm

Archived