LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights, .. a work in progress

ArcTec34

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I am reviving this post to get some opinions. I have been recently educated, practice and played with breadboards, LEDs, and plexiglass. My thought is if I can get a second pair of tails (so as not to destroy my stock ones), to cut them open, remove the guts and make a breadboard that is the exact shape and curve of each section. On that breadboard, creating an outer horseshoe ring of LEDs for the tails, and inner section of LEDs for brake lights (seperated by a piece of plexi so there is a nice sharp line of light) just like the new Dodge Charger. The bottom section would be the tail and brake light only while the top section would be the turn signal only, no tail light. Thoughts??

I was thinking of doing something similar to... and kinda make the tail light/brake light two separate lights but in the same location similar to the late model BMW tail lights that utilize an acrylic rod as the tail light

If someone comes up with a concept that i like and is serious about making them but needs a pair to work on, i'll donate a pair of taillights to them to work on as long as i can get the finished prototypes back and i'll pay for leds too. The corners are little chipped but they are fine for working on for fitment purposes.

I also thought about using acrylic rods in the lights to create some more defined lines of light. The reason why I didn't was the different plastic pieces in the taillight. The outermost plastic is clear, not red (as it is with most lights) and therefore you need to keep the red lens in behind it. I would have used acrylic and also needed to hide the breadboards more, if the red lens were completely clear- but it is countoured as well with ridges, and therefore anything behind it really can't be seen that clearly. To make my defined lines (go back some pictures) I just put the LEDs in the patterns I wanted

http://berzindesign.com/Thirdbrake/1DSC_0051.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Arc, I know your saying there is a space issue to use acrylic rod thanks to the inner red piece. I've gotten my spare set of tails and started my endevour and it came to mind.... Why not utilize the new spray on tints (or true 3m tint) to color the outer lense so we don't have to keep the inner red one which leaves a lot more space. Make sense?

Oh and btw....you can seperate the lenses without cutting! Just have to be real careful.

Archived