LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights, .. a work in progress

ArcTec34

^ +1.

Combined with modern high-powered LEDs, I'd think that even for, say, a central-element, to enhance straight-on performance, the problem would instead be overkill....that the light would be simply too bright - and that can be just as dangerous.

I remember when mercedes or Audi or someone introduced LED tail lights, and the were so proud of having "over 1,000 LEDs in the rear lights".. why have 1,000 when you can just use less LEDs that are actually efficient?

^+1.

But we can't take that out-of-context, though. :) Remember, there were days - just a couple of years ago - when LED-flashlights that was capable of producing only 100 lumen of output for 1 hour sold for 300+ dollars.

Now, that kind of performance can easily be had for $20 at WalMart - or $40 or so for a ruggedized/more feature-filled variant. :wub:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ +1.

Combined with modern high-powered LEDs, I'd think that even for, say, a central-element, to enhance straight-on performance, the problem would instead be overkill....that the light would be simply too bright - and that can be just as dangerous.

omg that is so true... often times on my way to work I get stuck behind a pacifica that runs her damn turn signal while stopped at a light. Its so bright I have to put down my visor. Its not LED but amber is a brighter color anyway.. taillights need to really be within a narrow brigthness range.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

^ To both of my good brothers above.

Indeed, not bright enough is a hazard, of course - but many don't realize that too-bright can be just as dangerous, just like headlamps.

And this trouble is worsened in foul weather, actually. While most would think that in foul weather, you'd just want as bright as you can get, that's far from true - given that glare gets so much worse with higher-intensity lighting, you can imagine a car that's got a rear-fog that's too-bright....what happens when that driver hits his brakes? the too-bright rear-fog "drowns out" the brake-light, right?

Also, you definitely would not want to be darkfox's position, either - imagine that bright beacon in your face for even a half-minute at a traffic-light, and then turning onto a dark side-road thereafter....

It's hard to balance out the need to see/be-seen, with being considerate enough for those who share our roadways so that THEY don't end up being blinded, so that they don't cause an accident involving either you or someone else, because they just couldn't see well enough.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

^ +1. Keep the faith, bruddah! I'm really looking forward to your project being realized!!

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys

So I think I've found a set of tail lights, and should be going to pick them up tomorrow =)

Besides that, I've ordered some "4 chip" LEDs from a bunch of different places, and will be comparing them so I choose the best ones for the project..

dremel is the king of tools.

love those things..

hey while you're at it.. how about an LED 3rd brake light array? Should be easy..

I'd probably buy that if it were on the cheap.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

dremel is the king of tools.

love those things..

hey while you're at it.. how about an LED 3rd brake light array? Should be easy..

I'd probably buy that if it were on the cheap.

haha, yeah, I'm definitely taking that apart as well. thats really easy, just a PCB with 20 or so LEDs.. done

great successs!

I picked up a set of tail lights as well as the third brake light from ICY/Phoenix Racing's garage in PA, near three mile island. Not only was seeing their shop and cars amazing, but they have tons and tons of parts that they stripped off of a 2007 spec B, and I think they have parts from a 2008 model as well.

If anyone wants anything, ask them! username: 06icywrx

I saw tons of stuff, including fresh tires, and what was really cool- the door panels off a spec B (black with blue inserts)...

the camry only has 4 apparently.

think it couldbe done that way? seems like less parts to fail.

It depends what LEDs I use.. I think having a linear row of 10 or so will probably work best with a sufficient light output

Congrats on the find, Arc! :D

Please add details on popping these babys open I have a project in the noodle that I want to get started just dont know the best method on opening the tails up with out scaring the clear lens
Mr.350

I just asked my dad to find me the thinnest dremel bit that he has so I can use that...

I'm starting to buy parts for the inside..

still waiting on few types of LEDs for comparison so I can make the upper part..

for the lower part I'll use LED strips.. I bought some 1/2 inch acrylic rods that I will head up and shape to the curve of the taillight, from there I'll sand down the outside to diffuse the LEDs, and will cuz out the back sides and mount the LEDs inside.

mr luv, I also decided to take your location of the LED DRLs one step further- I also ordered some 1/4 inch (same thickness as the LED strips) SQUARE acrylic rods, I'm gunna sand them to make them diffused, and mold/mount them in front of the LED strips in the bottom of the headlight

ok. So basically all LED strips suck, and I don't know if I could use the ones I was planning to for the bottom 3 linear strips. I want to make them as well.

does anyone know of a flexible breadboard type circuit board that I could bend a little to follow the curve of the tail light?

^ I'm out, both on that one, as well as with regard to any know-how/technique on opening up the tails. :(

^ Here ya go.....

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48426&highlight=tail

To the best of my recall, he never returned to say how it was done, exactly.... :(

Archived