LegacyGT.com

LED tail lights, .. a work in progress

ArcTec34

^ Looks like our cars are targets for getting hit from the right rear! :lol:

I also have a spare left - not right! :lol:

Good luck on the bidding, Arc.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks

So, I know a friend who knows a friend who own a motorcycle business that does LED lighting.. so I might be getting like 50 2-inch or so segments of the same LED strips that are from customdynamics. for really cheap.. I'd just solder them together or something.. so I might look into that cuz im po' :-p

Just as a reminder guys when you do the tails the lens is red. So we want white leds the red will barely be visible if its red behind red lens. Just wanted to throw that out there.

power getter used red LEDs behind the lens with no problem.. I was planning on using red as well

here's a good thread on mazda rx-8 forums.. they used red as well.

http://www.rx8club.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112227&page=4

Reason I say this is becasue the 1st set of LED bulbs I used in the tails were rather pooh!!! Now that led me to start thinking why arent these bright leds not shining through the tail lens nice and brightly. As I pondered I looked at the stock bulb and its clear white stock bulb. So that got me to wondering again well if this clear white halogen bulb is brighter then the red led's then a white led should blaze. Now what the other guys did they are using some sort of high flux high output led the benz is already built and rated for Tails and the other guy is using single leds to make the tails. If you look at the MCD of the strips they aren't as bright as the white LED strips. Hope that made since im still half asleep this morning.
Mr.350

I see what you mean, you make sense

The LEDs I'm using for the upper part of the tail light are actually similar to the ones used on the benz board, but they're brighter! and I'm going to have a lot more of them, as well.

And the lower stips.. whatever I can get the cheapest, either red customdynamics ones or whiter/brighter/cheaper strips...

So, someone with an 08-09 Leggy, buy these on ebay! they're cheap! I'm almost tempted to buy them, mod them, and sell them on here- you could do nifty circular LED patterns with the stock reflectors..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-SUBARU-LEGACY-TURBO-GT-L-TAIL-LIGHT-TAILIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ024QQitemZ370173863366QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ht_2683wt_856

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-SUBARU-LEGACY-TURBO-GT-R-TAIL-LIGHT-TAILIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ024QQitemZ370173844869QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ht_2481wt_1023

ha.. its says that they're for a legacy "gt-r" ha.. sigh

So, someone with an 08-09 Leggy, buy these on ebay! they're cheap! I'm almost tempted to buy them, mod them, and sell them on here- you could do nifty circular LED patterns with the stock reflectors..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-SUBARU-LEGACY-TURBO-GT-L-TAIL-LIGHT-TAILIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ024QQitemZ370173863366QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ht_2683wt_856

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-SUBARU-LEGACY-TURBO-GT-R-TAIL-LIGHT-TAILIGHT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33716QQihZ024QQitemZ370173844869QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ht_2481wt_1023

ha.. its says that they're for a legacy "gt-r" ha.. sigh

You cant really do a lot with just the left side tail light..lol..

Some one won the paggenger side but there is no bids on the right :confused:

Have you seen any pics of LED tail-lights on 08/09 Legacy?

I would want to have LEDs for my tails, but I have never done lighting/electrical mods...so I would probably need a walkthrough.

So,

I've been looking for high flux 4-chip LEDs, a guy that already made LED tails for his rx-* used these:

http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?products_id=438&osCsid=0fdcfb7f727d2ffbffa08bb817781b16

and he used 20 of them to get sufficient brightness.

I found these on ebay for $18, for 50 of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-50X-Superflux-Red-5mm-R-H-LEDLamp-13-000mcd-F-S_W0QQitemZ7623976104QQihZ016QQcategoryZ66954QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemhttp://cgi.ebay.com/New-50X-Superflux-Red-5mm-R-H-LEDLamp-13-000mcd-F-S_W0QQitemZ7623976104QQihZ016QQcategoryZ66954QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

they are 20mA and say they produce 13K mcd.. which doesn't really make sense since the ones listed at the top are 80mA and only make 3K mcds..

But I'm poor and don't want to spend $1 per LED..

Also, can anyone double check for me, I'm not at home with my car, are the stock bulbs in the car white? because then, as mr luv said, maybe I should head towards white leds- they're cheaper and brighter..

Superbrightleds.com is also selling similar LEDs, which say that they produce 5500 Ma, 90 degree viewing angle, and are $0.19 cents each.. they're SO cheap I'm kinda thinking I should at least give them a try..

Also, can anyone double check for me, I'm not at home with my car, are the stock bulbs in the car white? because then, as mr luv said, maybe I should head towards white leds- they're cheaper and brighter..

My factory bulbs are white.

Yes, I'd recommend going with the white - to boost absolute output. I share mr_luv's view in letting the red lens take care of the red coloring....unless, of course, you plan on going with a clear lens.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

so far superbright LEDs have the cheapest... but I have no clue, maybe they're not bright at all....

The Red ones would be 19 cents for large orders, while white are 50 cents

Both have the same listed mcd outputs...

You will get a more true color if you go with red. As i've heard (in dealing with changing over our strobes to LEDs on our fire trucks) you should get the color bulb the same as the lense, because the lense filters out other colors of light, and getting a red bulb will go right through the lense providing a truer, brighter color. Yes the factory bulbs are white, BUT, we're talking about LEDs here not halogen or incandesents. (sorry, my spelling b off!). This is out of personal experience and reading up from top of the line LED emergency lighting mfg's. Our fire trucks that have red lenses over they're red LED warning lights produce a more intense, visible flash then those of clear lenses.....and there's a reason why they put red LEDs behind a red Lense and not white. Just my two cents. Your set up sounds like it's gonna be pretty ballin!

I agree - the color will be "truer" with red.

Output, though, might need to be boosted.....

I'm planning on using about 50 LEDs in each upper part of the taillight,

the lower part will be made of 3 9.5 inch flex strips similar to what people are using for the "LED DRLs",

and.. I originally was going to use the flex LED strips for an amber blinker, but I don't want these LED strips to be visible, and I'd put the amber part in the clear center.. so. idk about that yet

question...

as you know.. most factory taillights that are LED usually have some sort of mini LED reflector. I seem to recall seeing these reflectors for sale on the net before..

do you think something like this is more efficient and do you lpan to use something like that?

It seems that although LEDs can be very bright, they are far more directional and therefore need more direction to properly light up.

It seems like using a reflector like that would be able to easily reduce the number of LEDs you have to use and give it more of a factory look.

I was looking up acura TL tails on ebay earlier.. apparently they have an LED base assembly, and then a housing that fits over it, they're 2 seperate pieces. The inside of the TL lense is stepped to direct each LED's light backward.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

question...

as you know.. most factory taillights that are LED usually have some sort of mini LED reflector. I seem to recall seeing these reflectors for sale on the net before..

do you think something like this is more efficient and do you plan to use something like that?

It seems that although LEDs can be very bright, they are far more directional and therefore need more direction to properly light up.

It seems like using a reflector like that would be able to easily reduce the number of LEDs you have to use and give it more of a factory look.

I was looking up acura TL tails on ebay earlier.. apparently they have an LED base assembly, and then a housing that fits over it, they're 2 seperate pieces. The inside of the TL lense is stepped to direct each LED's light backward.

yeah I was looking at those acura tail lights on ebay..

Judging from what I saw on someone's RX-8, I think the LEDs I plan on using sufficiently cover enough viewing angles, and aren't totally directional like the typical 5mm LED. I'll be using "4 chip" LEDs for the upper part.

The look will be similar to the LED modules used in power_getter's s500 (these are also "4 chip" LEDs) modules,

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c228/power_getter/IMG_0246P.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/180/dsc00029poq2.jpg

and also this DIY rx-8 tail light

http://www.rx8club.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=96529.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/rx8rasp/brakes.jpg

Besides that upper part which I'll just build on a breadboard.. The bottom part is just going to be LED strips.. not entirely sure.. how I'll mount them, perhaps on the inside of the red reflector

Indeed, LEDs can be set up any of several different ways, darkfox, it simply depends on how the engineers wanted the light to look, that's all. :)

One could even make a small optical collimator to fit over each "outward" (towards the back of the vehicle) projecting LED, and in-effect make such LEDs, even if they were very dim to begin with, still seem tremendously powered (to wit: some of the earlier LED flashlights used such collimators to both "boost" their output [not correct, technically speaking ;) , but the visual effect holds] as well as to tighten their beam throw/pattern - you'll still see use of such on the "WalMart" variety LED flashlights today).

As with any other light source, it all depends on how you want to play with it. :)

:lol: Sounds like you got it covered then.

I didnt know that much about it, I had simply observed it rather closely when staring at the cars in front of me in my 1-1.5 hr 25 mile commute. :p

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I remember when mercedes or Audi or someone introduced LED tail lights, and the were so proud of having "over 1,000 LEDs in the rear lights".. why have 1,000 when you can just use less LEDs that are actually efficient?

Indeed, LEDs can be set up any of several different ways, darkfox, it simply depends on how the engineers wanted the light to look, that's all. :)

One could even make a small optical collimator to fit over each "outward" (towards the back of the vehicle) projecting LED, and in-effect make such LEDs, even if they were very dim to begin with, still seem tremendously powered (to wit: some of the earlier LED flashlights used such collimators to both "boost" their output [not correct, technically speaking ;) , but the visual effect holds] as well as to tighten their beam throw/pattern - you'll still see use of such on the "WalMart" variety LED flashlights today).

As with any other light source, it all depends on how you want to play with it. :)

I'm going to stay away from said opticals, as I want the beam to be as wide as possible, to allow all angles to see the light

Archived