LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Yeah - it's important to make sure it's Legacy-derived and not Outback-derived. Different drive shafts as I understand it.

EDIT

Well if you run the numbers they are all different

The spec b is a 27111AG07A

The 2.5i 4EAT is a 27111AG01A or a 27111AG05A depending on year.

The 2.5i 4EAT in the Outback is a 27111AG11A or 27111AG15A

So we know so far the 01A and 05A and the 07A spec b shaft will work.

If you have an Outback XT wagon Im not sure but you may need the 11A or 15A number. Ill know soon enough as I have a 01A or 05A coming next week.

05A

03, November — SEDAN 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I

'03, November — SEDAN 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I LIMITED

'08, March — SEDAN 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I BASE

'03, November — WAGON 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I

'03, November — '07, March WAGON 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I LIMITED

01A

'03, November — SEDAN 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I

'03, November — SEDAN 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I LIMITED

'03, November — WAGON 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I

'03, November — '07, March WAGON 2500CC EMPI SOHC NA FULLTIME 4WD 4SP Automatic transmission 25I LIMITED

Info found on http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/

Edited by Scooby2.5

Hey I guys I am new to this site and haven't posted much, but from lurking and posting on other sites I am still stuck and looking for help.

I have a 2000 Subaru legacy gt 5spd which I am looking into going full sti drivetrain with 5x114.3 hubs, dccd, and Brembos all around.

I am planning to also get boost in the future also, ( looking into 22t from a legacy ss) with plans of tracking the car I feel that 5x114.3 hubs will be neccessary in order to prevent the knock back generated on 5x100 hubs with Brembos.

If there is anything you can help me understand that would be greatly appreciated.

I won't say yes or no, but the 2000 Legacy shares nothing with the GC and GD Impreza as far as rear suspension goes, therefore you will not be able to do a simple hub swap like the GC Impreza and BD Legacy (ie 1995-1999 models) can.

NSFW

did you purchase and use the downpipe bracket 44021FE030 listed in your first post?

Yep. And I've updated the first page with the plug part number, and also fixed the mistake about needing the 6MT crossmember. Thanks!

Edited by NSFW

I understood it to be the additional lift and vertical suspension travel the OB version goes through that requires a longer DS. My guess is that the front section, ahead of the carrier bearing, is identical, while the rear section is longer to compensate for the additional travel.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Found a driveshaft bought it yesterday. I actually already had an older one but it was pretty rusty around the carrier bearing and wasn't sure I wanted to use it. This one is a 2.5i 2006 model with 44,000 in a 4EAT car....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170624413780&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT#ht_1799wt_1167

KTMrider brought up a good point. I wonder if those of us doing this to an Outback XT nee the 2.5i 4EAT drive shaft out of an Outback instead of out of the Legacy sedan or wagon.

If you look at my post #309 the part number for the 2.5i 4EAT OB vs Legacy is different.

I guess I will know soon enough as the one I am getting off Ebay is from a 2.5i limited sedan non OB.

Yea so Subie, you know what I am asking then? If the driveshaft between a legacy Outback and a regular legacy GT is different, do I then need a drive shaft for a 4EAT Outback since this swap is going in an Outback???

Somebody chime in here please if you know.

Hey NSFW, do you know if anyone has put a 6 speed in an outback yet?

I posted this in some of the other 6 speed threads but no response...

My question is this....

The outback XT takes a different driveshaft than a Legacy GT.

If you are putting a 6 speed in a legacy GT you need a 2.5i 4EAT legacy drive shaft.

So if I am putting the 6 speed in an Outback do I need a 2.5i 4EAT outback drive shaft? Or will the 2.5i 4EAT legacy shaft work in my outback?

No, actually I wasn't aware that OXTs and LGTs used different driveshafts.

4EAT outback drive shaft sounds reasonable, but I dunno for sure.

What is it that's different between the OXT and LGT drive shafts?

If it's something that is related to a difference in transmissions or differentials, then that difference will go away when you put in a transmission and differential from an STI or spec B - so you'd use a Legacy driveshaft. If it's something that's related to the Outback's subframe spacers, then you'd use an Outback driveshaft, since the spacers will still be there. My guess is the latter, but it's just a guess.

I wasn't either until I ran the part numbers. I cant see what would be different about the shafts as the rear diff and tranny are the same. Somebody else suggested the "lift" of the outback but that doesn't seem right either to me but I don't know.

With that being said, my car is lowered to LGT height and I didn't notice a problem when I lowered it, with the drive shaft.

If you happen to figure anything out let me know.

Here is from another post:

Well if you run the numbers they are all different

The spec b is a 27111AG07A

The 2.5i 4EAT is a 27111AG01A or a 27111AG05A depending on year.

The 2.5i 4EAT in the Outback is a 27111AG11A or 27111AG15A

So we know so far the 01A and 05A and the 07A spec b shaft will work.

Oh one other question, can you use the 5 speed clutch hose or do you HAVE to get the 6 speed?

I have heard the 5 speed is just a bit longer but works fine.

After the drive shaft and the clutch hose, I am done getting the parts.... now I just need my car back from Cobb with the new motor :)

I think I've read this whole thread and didn't see much about the flywheel or bolts. I just finished my clutch install, and the spec.B 6mt and STi use 14mm heads on the flywheel bolts. Another benefit for those doing this swap is you no longer have to worry about the 5mt Torx 50 Plus flywheel bolts.

I have no idea about the clutch hose either... I'm actually not sure which hose I used! But since I put it in the 'small parts' list I guess I probably used a 6MT hose. :)

Some of the outback's lift comes from subframe spacers, which I think move the diff 'down' (relative to the body), so maybe the driveshaft is just a hair longer to accommodate the difference. If you removed your subframe spacers when you lowered the car, then the LGT drive shaft would probably fit. This is all sheer speculation though. I wish I could help, but I just don't know.

Who has actually changed an 04 STi trans from the male stubs to the female. I read how it is just a matter of pulling the stubs, and changing the seal type, however my concern is the "sundial" on each side that adjusts the diff backlash. Did anyone have any issues?

If you personally went through this process please speak up! :)

I have no idea about the clutch hose either... I'm actually not sure which hose I used! But since I put it in the 'small parts' list I guess I probably used a 6MT hose. :)

Some of the outback's lift comes from subframe spacers, which I think move the diff 'down' (relative to the body), so maybe the driveshaft is just a hair longer to accommodate the difference. If you removed your subframe spacers when you lowered the car, then the LGT drive shaft would probably fit. This is all sheer speculation though. I wish I could help, but I just don't know.

Negative on the subframe spacer removal, I just lowered it with BC/BR coilovers.

Well thanks for your help, guess I'll know soon enough, I have a 2006 legacy sedan 2.5i 4EAT shaft shipping to me today. If it doesn't work I can always get an outback 2.5i 4EAT shaft and sell this one.

Edited by Scooby2.5

Oh one other question, can you use the 5 speed clutch hose or do you HAVE to get the 6 speed?

I have heard the 5 speed is just a bit longer but works fine.

After the drive shaft and the clutch hose, I am done getting the parts.... now I just need my car back from Cobb with the new motor :)

Yap, the 5MT clutch slave hose bolt right up the 6MT pressure control valve. See pic.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0804072103a.jpg

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Were you looking up Legacy sedan driveshafts? I used an Outback Wagon 4eat drivshaft on my car since I have a wagon. Made the difference is from a wegan to sedan and not so much Legacy to Outback difference.

Were you looking up Legacy sedan driveshafts? I used an Outback Wagon 4eat drivshaft on my car since I have a wagon. Made the difference is from a wegan to sedan and not so much Legacy to Outback difference.

I have heard the length between sedan and wagon is the same.....

With that said if you look at my previous post all the part numbers were different.

I wrote in the other thread too. Are you looking up the part numbers for a Legacy Wagon driveshaft and an Outback Driveshaft? I know the sedans and wagons use different driveshafts. The driveshaft I used on my Legacy Wagon came from an Outback Wagon.