LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Mike

Thanks for this guide, wired mine up today, have the two wires ready to go down through the shifter hole to the tranny this Saturday. :spin:

Also the piggyback fuse connector on the cigarette lighter fuse worked like a champ

Yes that's right B136 pin #18. It should be yellow wire with a red strip. It will be the 3rd connector from the left. Or 2nd from the top. As you look at the connector in the back of the ECU under the passanger side floor broad.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0728080559.jpg

Yes black to black & white to green.

Mike

Well transmission is in the car. I still have the rear diff and driveshaft to go on Tuesday but the Transmission, clutch, DCCD, front axels are in and all hooked up.

Only had a bit of trouble getting the tranny out past the AVO380 turbo housing. Its really close to the bell housing when installed. Glad we had the infinite positioning of a tranny jack and the car on a lift.

We actually ground the bell housing a hair to get it to clear the turbo on the way back in.

A couple of parts, mostly bolts I was missing.

Needed the bolt that goes through the shifter linkage where it connects to the transmission bracket. Its a rather long bolt and the 5 speed is different so I had to get that. I was at a Subaru dealer working on it though, so they had lots of subaru nuts and bolts in bins.

Secondly when bolting the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel. Be aware you will need about 3 more bolts for the 6 speed pressure plate to flywheel. It has 3 (?) more than the 5 speed so we had to find some of those.

The spec B STS fit right in the Outback XT and mated up to the transmission like a Glove.

So did the cross member. Just bolted up the new group N mount to the transmission and then just lowered it down onto the cross memeber and it went right in.

Amazing how easy this really is.

Now for the rear diff and to check if the 06 4eat driveshaft works OK with the outback.

I have the R180 mount coming tuesday morning so I will be able to install that as well.

It seems that I had more room between the transmission and the firewall/tranny tunnel than a friend of mine had on his 6 speed wagon

Only thing I can figure is maybe the STI group N mounts lower the motor a bit. I have heard they do.

Edited by Scooby2.5

shop should be starting on my tranny swap this week...shattered fifth gear last week while cruising at highway speeds...lost first gear as well, second would lock out, lots of grinding/sand like noises when in gear...

going with a close ratio jdm 6 speed out of a s202 sti...i did alot of research and if im going to be shifting in to fifth while drag racing with a usdm sti tranny anyways, may as well have tighter gearing...this will also help for circuit and autocross should i ever choose to do that again since I have a gt35r turbo now...chose exedy twin plate with the HD pressure plate, hoping to get a spt spec b short shifter kit if I can get a good price on it, got a propshaft from an 09 5eat coming this week as well...shop already has the tranny/diff sitting there, this tranny has an external oil cooler as well...i currently have group n engine/tranny mounts...probably going to change them out for torque solutions mounts instead, we'll start with the tranny and do the motor mounts when the motor gets built over the winter...looks like I can keep some of my upgraded shifter bushings as welll, some I need to order 6mt specific ones...overall I hope I am happy with it, may not be happy with the highway cruising rpms, but the car is not driven year round...keep you guys posted on how this works out...

I got my STI spec B STS at subaru parts mall, that was the cheapest I found it.

Your prop shaft could be wrong I think it is supposed to be from a 4EAT

The shifter bushings were 6 speed specific as the shifter is different somewhat.

I got the kartboy set, for the stay and the shifter rod. Cobb now has a set out now as well.

Well add me to the club got the whole setup in and its working fine.

I dont have the console closed up so I don't have the foam and rubber boot or leather boot installed and shifting through the gears the 6 speed I have whines a lot more than my five speed.

I do have group N mounts, and kartboy shifter and stay bushings and without the foam insulator Im sure this is part of it.

Anyone else notice more gear noise under load (accelerating) with the 6 speed?

Ive heard the gears are more cross cut and this could be the cause as well.

Just making sure I don't have anything else going on. 08 Transmission had about 25K on it.

Scooby2.5: The 6MT is louder. I've only used it in STI's, which have less sound insulation than an LGT, but I'm virtually certain the transmission itself is louder.

A stiff rear shifter stay will make it _much_ louder in the cabin. I've upgraded every drivetrain mount and shifter bushing in my STI _except_ for the rear shifter stay, and transmission noise is barely above stock. (Stock is audible in the lower gears however.) I've listened to videos with _just_ the rear shifter stay upgraded, and it's clearly much louder than all my upgrades combined.

A stiff pitch stop will make the transmission very loud too, and is mostly worthless if you've upgraded your actual drivetrain mounts. Keep that one stock too if you want low NVH.

Edited by matt

Any of you all that don't have noise, do you have stock bushings or have the kartboy/hardened bushings in the shifter and shifter stay?

Maybe Ill take the stay bushing out because of what matt said and see what it does, plus get the console back together. :)

Here is a link to listen to what it sounds like:

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman#100050/IMG_0823&bgcolor=black

It has group N motor mounts, group N transmission mount, kartboy shifter bushings, kartboy stay bushing and a STI spec B STS, clutch master FX300 and Subaru Extra S fluid, DCCDpro

Also the only thing between me and underneath the car is the rubber shifter boot that plugs the whole. As you can see the internal boot and foam and the leather shift boot are not installed

Edited by Scooby2.5

By the way as you know I put all this in an Outback XT, I think I am the first.

I used a 2006 4EAT Legacy 2.5i Sedan driveshaft and it works fine.

The Spec B rear diff mount is a good item to get. It seems that where the R180 sits on the mount it has a bit of a slope to it. The stock mount will work but the R180 diff "fits" in the Spec B mount much better.

THANKS to everyone that has helped with all the 6 speed threads, from Hammers, to Groff to NSFW. You guys made this much easier.

If anyone is doing this in an Outback XT, I can confirm it bolts right up ;)

I now have my dream Subaru, a full STI swapped Outback XT with DCCD and STI seats.

If anyone is wondering whether to do the spec b 6 speed vs the STI, Do the STI. I had never driven an STI before. The DCCD and F/R lockers make this car go through corners like glue....

Edited by Scooby2.5

I now have my dream car, a full STI swapped Outback XT with DCCD and STI seats.

Awesome.

I have stock mounts and bushings everywhere and Subaru's spec B short shifter. Like I said, I get gear noise on decel but otherwise I don't notice any other noises. Putting the shifter trim back in will help somewhat, but I don't remember how much. I did that a couple days after the swap too. Who wants to futz with interior trim right after hours of busting knuckles to hook up a 6MT?!?! :lol:

Yea I am waiting on the spec b foam insulation and rubber boot, mine was pretty wore out from the very short short throw I had in the 5 speed.

Also need to mount my factory STI DCCD controls.

Once I get it all back together, if its unbearable Ill remove the Kartboy stay mount and see what that does first.

Subaru's spec B short shifter.

That spec b short throw does not feel very short throw to me. I hope mine had the right part in the box.

I would hate to feel what the stock spec b shifter was like.

If you ever get a chance and have the trim and boot pulled up snap a picture of the stick for me so I can verify if I did in fact get the right shifter from Subaru in the STS box. I have verified the part numbers but it just doesn't seem like it has that short of a throw to me.

Cobb just came out with their STS's again so may have to change the stick eventually.

Edited by Scooby2.5

picking up propshaft tomorrow, and delivering it with the Exedy hyper twin plate to the shop tomorrow...they already have the trans and diff...they have also ordered up spec b axles and spec b stock shifter, shifter fork and slave cylinder...I am reusing kartboy rear stay and TiC linkage bushings, new kartboy front stay and 6mt pivot bushings I got yesterday...probably going to ditch my group n engine/tranny mounts for torque solutions as well, maybe...

You do not swap anything on the driveshaft, you have to change the yoke on the R180 to the R160 yoke. The part the driveshaft bolts to on the rear diff. This is exactly what Subaru did when they put the R180 in the spec b.

The driveshaft has to be shorter because the 6 speed is longer. The R180 and the R160 are the same length

Edited by Scooby2.5

Mike, I followed your lead and mounted my DCCD switches:

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100050/IMG_0841/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100050/IMG_0836/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/gregnauman/100050/IMG_0833/web.jpg

Wow, great job on the buttons.

The spec B short shifter doesn't feel very short to me either. I'm leaning toward AVO's short shifter because it appears to have a rubber sleeve like the stock unit has, to reduce the amount of noise it transmits. With a solid short shifter in my 5MT there was a high-frequency whine when shifting into 5th sometimes. Plus AVO's is adjustable, so I figure I can probably raise the attachment point until the linkage just about hits the metal frame that holds the rubber boot in place. And probably grind some of that metal away like I did with Cobb's 5MT shifter. The shift throw can't get any shorter than that. :)