LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

That's because the Impreza one is a completely different design.

You need the one above mate

I wasn't responding to the picture. That's the one I have on my car. Yes I realize it is the same. Notice he said 04-05 STi.

UH, OK....mate.........

Edited by KCwagon

But the orange doesnt match our interior? For some reason i thought the sti's had same red lighting as us.

Do they have a different color interior lighting?

TIA,

Anthony

Yes it does. The orange LED that lights up when you go to manual or are in auto and its working is the same as the orange light that lights up on the rear defroster button, defrost button for windshield and heated mirrors, and windshield wiper heater button.

Also on the STI the same kind of thing. Any of the buttons you toggle on or off for certain features has a little round LED window on them that glows orange when on.

Looks like I'll be using the 08 sit transmission I have and a spec b rear diff.

Does this mean I have to use the spec b rear axles?

Also can I use a 4eat driveshaft or does it have to be the spec b driveshaft also?

If I can use the auto driveshaft is it thte same exact part as the spec b driveshaft or is the spec b stronger or better for some reason.

Seems like I could get a auto driveshaft cheaper than I could get a spec b shaft.

TIA,

Anthony

Edited by ama0787

Also can I use a 4eat driveshaft or does it have to be the spec b driveshaft also?

If I can use the auto driveshaft is it thte same exact part as the spec b driveshaft or is the spec b stronger or better for some reason.

Seems like I could get a auto driveshaft cheaper than I could get a spec b shaft.

TIA,

Anthony

1) You will need to use Spec B axles (because it is an R180)

2) I have seen both the Automatic and Spec B driveshafts and they appear to be the same in terms of size/appearance. I would use the Automatic, given the difference in cost.

• 2 weeks later...
how about clutch master and slave cylinders?

Also as far as clutch and flywheel go is the standard sti stuff good enough for how much hp?

TIA,

Anthony

Clutch master cylinder is fine..you will need a slave cylinder for the 6 speed. Your existing clutch line will work. The stock STI clutch and flywheel is pretty strong, but stage 3 will challenge it a bit. I have an 08 Spec B transmission, r160 out of a WRX and a Clutchmasters fx300/STI flywheel. It is a pretty good set-up. The fx300 is either on or off though. An STI clutch will give you smoother engagement and good up to 280 HP/TQ. The torque number is what I would be more concerned with as far as clutch slippage.

• 3 weeks later...

starting my 6 speed swap after I lost 5th gear on Tuesday in my 5 speed. Already picked up an 07 STi transmissiion with shifter linkage, flywheel, clutch slave cyl, and R180 rear end. I ordered the DCCDPro controler. Just hunting down the driveshaft and axles now. I was told also that any 97 to 04 Legacy driveshaft will work as well... Anybody else confirm or deny this? I am assuming I will have to fork out the dough for brand new rear 07-09 spec.b axles so I want to try and find a used driveshaft rather than paying 700 bucks for a brand new one.

Also will be doing Group N tranny and engine mounts as well as an ACT Street clutch with stock flywheel. The tranny and R180 came off an STi that had been rear ended and only had 39k miles on them

Are the sti & specB slave cylinders the same?

If they are not will either work?

Also that diff mounting bracket that i was confused about is usually reffered to as a pinion brace or mount

TIA,

Anthony

Edited by ama0787

Hammer down,

I have seen other talk about you modding the Subaru Momo 5 speed shifter and making it work in your 6-speed swap. I only saw you mention the autozone knob in your thread.

If you did do this could you tell me about it and if possible show me some pictures. I definately plan on going this route i love my shift knob and will find away to use it.

TIA,

Anthony

Groff are you sure you options match right?

The spec b r180 is a 3.54 from my research as is the 06 sti r180 meaning that they have the 1.1:1 tranny where the 04-05 sti has the 1:1 tranny with a 3.9 r180

Do you think this info is correct or incorrect? If it is correct i believe your options need adjusted. Seems like you have the sti years and 1.1:1 vs 1:1 reversed if i am not mistaken.

TIA,

Anthony

Anthony, this is what I am talking about, (in another thread) all of these questions have been answered.

Read through the threads, take some notes and then post up any more questions you have, and we will be glad to answer them.

I read through all of them and it ended up the only real question I had was the driveshaft issue.

My car is an outback XT, and the length of the shaft I got out of a 2006 4EAT 2.5i sedan didn't seem correct in comparison with hammer downs custom shaft.

The threads clearly state you can use a 4EAT shaft in place of the spec b or the custom shaft. Thats why I purchased the 4EAT shaft.

I was only unclear on the lengths and whether it would work in an Outback XT.

It did in fact bolt right up with no issues even on my outback XT.

Edited by Scooby2.5

Sorry, but I mod the STi shifting linkage. It's 3/8" to short for it to be centered in the center console. Maybe you can mod your shifting knob like I did with the Auto Zone knob. You do need a 6MT shifter from a Spec.B or STi. 5MT shifter wont work. There's no reverse lockout knob.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

M12x1.25

And yes, the collar slides up into the shift knob.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yep, 04-05 sti have 1:1 tranny, while 06+ have 1:1.1

Final is 3.9 either way.

Depends what you mean by "final," though... The front diffs are all 3.9:1 but the rear diffs for the 1.1:1 transmissions are are 3.54:1.

Final means final. Reduction between the current gear and the wheels (all of them).

Of course STI 06+ rear diffs are 3.54:1. 3.54545455:1 to be exact :cool:

04-05 rear diffs are straight 3.9:1.

So should thee be two different holes drilled?

One to allow the collar to slip up into and the other too thread on to the shifter shaft?

Any ideas o modding the lock out so it does not slide into shift knob?

Ive only been in one sit recently and should have looked closer the only other reference I have is my supra which has a 6 speed with lock out that goes up into the shift knob but I think looking at it can't get me past ideas