LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

If I got these would they limit any other parts options further up the drive train? Or do they work with most diffs?

Just to clarify - For Sale are the REAR axle shafts used with the R180 rear differential in the LEGACY. They would not work with an R160 rear differential (i.e. WRX differential) nor your stock LGT rear differential. The main driveshaft (spec B or Auto driveshaft) remains the same for both the R160 and R180 differentials. So, in short, the rear differential choice does not effect the rest of the drivetrain.

Just to clarify - For Sale are the REAR axle shafts used with the R180 rear differential in the LEGACY. They would not work with an R160 rear differential (i.e. WRX differential) nor your stock LGT rear differential. The main driveshaft (spec B or Auto driveshaft) remains the same for both the R160 and R180 differentials. So, in short, the rear differential choice does not effect the rest of the drivetrain.

Thanks man..I pmed him when they first came up.

• 1 month later...
So the 6MT driveshaft and 5EAT driveshafts are the same?

Does that mean it's easier to do a 5EAT > 6MT swap than it is for 5MT to 6MT?

Only the 4EAT and 07-09 Spec B driveshaft works with the 6spd

I did the 6 speed swap in my 08 lgt I used a sti shifter but I put the 2 spec b shift rods in and my shifter still sits far right any help would be greatly appreciated

Front to Rear is control by your shifting rods, Right to Left is controlled by you Rear Tranny mount. Unless your shifting rod are bent. Pics. would help.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I have read through this thread and am looking for some input. KCWagon has discussed this with me a bit but want to nail down exactly what I am going to need to do.

I have a heavily modded 2005 Outback XT and my goal has always been to turn it into an STI Outback.

I always liked the PIA 2009 Forester STI swap and wanted to do a similar thing to my Outback.

My car is paid off, it has 153,000 miles on it, and in the next year or so it will be getting a motor and a tranny. I plan on doing a leak down/compression test on the motor and if everything is still looking good, I plan to do the tranny first.

I currently have the 5 speed with a WRX flywheel and ACT street disc Clutch and pressure plate.

I just cant stand the transmission noise everyone is getting with the ACT/WRX combo, and for all I know it is having some gear lash issues making it worse, Im just not sure.

With all that said I want to put in a 2006 STI 6 Speed with the DCCD and yaw sensors etc.

It currently has 2006 rear LGT brakes and the Wilwood kit up front.

The Outback XT has a 4.44 final drive ratio so that will have to be changed.

What I intend to do is make a list of everything I will need to do the swap and start purchasing to get everything together.

Im not sure if the brakes will work with the STI axels and rear diffs etc so what I need is a comprehensive list.....

For those that have done this before, if you could help me out to make this list of parts I will need that would be great.

Here is a beginning....

2006 STI Tranny

DCCD Controller and wiring

Yaw sensors and wiring

2006 STI Shifter

Front Axels and hubs (will wilwoods brakes work with these)

Driveshaft???

Rear Axels and hubs (will lgt rear brakes work with these)

Rear R180 rearend.

Currently running 06 WRX wheels but I don't think they will fit the 5x114 06 hubs.

I could at least at the beginning get another R160 with correct ratio and run that and change to the 180 at a later date??????

I could also possibly run my existing front axels and hubs in the STI tranny?????

Any help from the experts would be appreciated.

I might add I have seen this statement a number of times and wonder if the 06 Tranny can be used with a different rear end ratio than the transmission.

This was from an ad for a 2006 STI transmission/rearend swap for sale:

FRONT REDUCTION GEAR: 3.900

TRANSFER REDUCTION: 1.1

REAR REDUCTION GEAR: 3.545

This transmission has a 1.1:1 transfer reduction, which is the same as most of the previous WRX models, making this transmission easier than most others to retro-fit into a WRX. You will need other parts to get this swap to work, but this year of transmission is without a doubt the easiest because it requires changing out the minimum # of parts to get it to work correctly.

You need to do a lot more reading on the subject. You won't be able to run 5x114 hubs unless you do some custom machining (read: not worth it).

As far as DCCD Controller, an easier setup than wiring in the factory DCCD controller is the DCCDPro controller. I run it with my 6spd and it's a great system and very painless install. I would recommend it over trying to wire in the factory DCCD anytime.

Factory front axles will work without issues.

If the rear axles are the same as the 05-09 LGT, then you can get 07-09 Spec B axles and run them with the R180. There is no need to swap rear hubs or front hubs.

Find a driveshaft from a 4EAT Legacy (05-09 Automatic 2.5i N/A Legacy)

Thanks, think Ill get the 3.90 R180 and Spec b axels and then start collecting the driveshaft and tranny.

Should I shoot for the 05 or 06 STI tranny?

Whats a good price for a 30-60,000 mile used STI tranny? I see a few 05's on Ebay I may go after.

Edited by Scooby2.5

We just did the swap into an 04 forester. My friend bought a jdm v8 6 speed and r180 diff. I think he said 3200 canadian, hope that helps a bit.
05 LGT Wagon STI powered

I paid $2800 shipped for an 05 STi tranny with 50k miles on it and it came with a flywheel, clutch, and shifter assembly. Then another $400 shipped for an R180.

04-06 you wont notice a difference in gearing compared to the 07+ trannies so I'd go with what you can find cheapest. The 04-05 have weaker 5th and 6th gear synchros compared to the 06+.

"You can reuse your 5 speed clutch with 5 speed flywheel. You must use the 6 speed clutch fork."

This is good to know as my 5 speed already has a WRX flywheel and ACT clutch and pressure plate.

From what I read the 5 speed clutch and flywheel is only slightly smaller...

Nasioc Thread:

Will my WRX clutch and flywheel work in a 6speed?

-Yes. The diameter of the WRX flywheel is smaller (230mm compared to 240mm) than the STi flywheel. The bell housing on the 5speed is also smaller. There is less surface area with the 5speed compared to the 6speed but is not a huge difference. There are no issues with running a 5MT clutch and flywheel in a 6MT."

"You can reuse your 5 speed clutch with 5 speed flywheel. You must use the 6 speed clutch fork."

This is good to know as my 5 speed already has a WRX flywheel and ACT clutch and pressure plate.

From what I read the 5 speed clutch and flywheel is only slightly smaller...

Nasioc Thread:

Will my WRX clutch and flywheel work in a 6speed?

-Yes. The diameter of the WRX flywheel is smaller (230mm compared to 240mm) than the STi flywheel. The bell housing on the 5speed is also smaller. There is less surface area with the 5speed compared to the 6speed but is not a huge difference. There are no issues with running a 5MT clutch and flywheel in a 6MT."

Not necessarily. The 05-09 Legacy GT/Outback XT use a push style pressure plate and throwout bearing, fork, and slave cyl. The WRX clutch that is referred to in the NASIOC thread refers to the fact that 02-07 WRX 5spds use a pull style clutch that is the same as what the 04+ 6spds use.

If you want to run a 5spd clutch and flywheel on your 6spd setup you would need to find a pull style pressure plate and flywheel, in which case its then better just to find a 6spd clutch/PP/fly.

Not necessarily. The 05-09 Legacy GT/Outback XT use a push style pressure plate and throwout bearing, fork, and slave cyl. The WRX clutch that is referred to in the NASIOC thread refers to the fact that 02-07 WRX 5spds use a pull style clutch that is the same as what the 04+ 6spds use.

If you want to run a 5spd clutch and flywheel on your 6spd setup you would need to find a pull style pressure plate and flywheel, in which case its then better just to find a 6spd clutch/PP/fly.

Yes, but if you have a fresh clutch and 06+WRX FW then you may as well reuse them.

I thought I was done with big expenses. I bought a 3076 because it was the biggest turbo I could get that wouldn't <i>need drivetrain upgrades.

This means it's time for a bigger turbo.

OBXTs have r180 rears too don't they ?

(not in a ratio useful for the swap but the drive shafts from it would be)

I think they are R160...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

This means it's time for a bigger turbo.

I would rather go with a built motor, actually... The car is still pulling hard at redline, which makes me want a motor that will be happy all the way to 8000-8500 or so.

At this point I think I'd rather have a wider powerband than a taller powerband...

Btw, I just realized I never got back to you about that email last week. Sorry! And stay tuned...

I would rather go with a built motor, actually... The car is still pulling hard at redline, which makes me want a motor that will be happy all the way to 8000-8500 or so.

At this point I think I'd rather have a wider powerband than a taller powerband...

Btw, I just realized I never got back to you about that email last week. Sorry! And stay tuned...

Built motor? You mean upgraded heads? 11mm oil pump + valve springs and you can go to 8500rpm. Cams and you can make maybe 30 more hp up there :lol:

Bigger valves and cams and you can make maybe 80 more hp there. Or just run more boost! Just don't knock ever...

Or let's go back to upgrading valve springs + oil pump. You will need new head gaskets... it will give you a chance to confirm the tolerances in the heads and that everything else is in good shape...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]