LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Does anyone know if the neutral safety switch parameters can be changed with an Accessport. The reason being - When I swapped a 6 speed for the 5, I left the 6 speed neutral safety switch in the transmission. I know the grounds are opposite for the 5 and 6 speed. It would be nice to fix this via computer rather than via my garage floor. I also read on another forum that the Neutral Safety Switch effects the avcs. (no avcs in neutral) Is this true?

If anyone definitively know the answer let me know.

Sorry you have to use the 5MT's NSS (neutral safety switch). Get your wrenches out. Your avcs will work fine with 6MT's NSS. The 6MT's does work, BUT it will only let your cruise control SET in NEUTRAL. Which won't do you any good.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Sorry you have to use the 5MT's NSS (neutral safety switch). Get your wrenches out. Your avcs will work fine with 6MT's NSS. The 6MT's does work, BUT it will only let your cruise control SET in NEUTRAL. Which won't do you any good.

Mike

Thanks,

I am in the middle of a re-tune and I did not want it to effect the end result. Is the length of the harness of each nss the same? I am assuming the plugs are identical.

The lengths are similar enough that you won't have to do any cutting or soldering, if that's what you're wondering. It's a very straightforward swap - at least if you have the transmissions on a bench in front of you. :) With the trans in the car, I bet the only hard part is getting your hands onto the switches and connectors.

anybody know exactly which parts of the spec B shifter linkage i will need to center the shifter? i finished my swap (minus the dccd). The shifter sits slightly forward and after spending so much time and money on this would like to have it centered. Also...I have borla exhaust, and i only have about 1/2" of clearance between the driveshaft and the resonator in the exhaust. Can i change the hangers or should i have an exhaust shop modify the pipes a little? any input appreciated. thanks.

anybody know exactly which parts of the spec B shifter linkage i will need to center the shifter? i finished my swap (minus the dccd). The shifter sits slightly forward and after spending so much time and money on this would like to have it centered. Also...I have borla exhaust, and i only have about 1/2" of clearance between the driveshaft and the resonator in the exhaust. Can i change the hangers or should i have an exhaust shop modify the pipes a little? any input appreciated. thanks.

You need Spec. B shifting rods or have the lengthen them 3/8". Like I did.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/1215071541.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/1215071544.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/1215071546.jpg

Mike

The lengths are similar enough that you won't have to do any cutting or soldering, if that's what you're wondering. It's a very straightforward swap - at least if you have the transmissions on a bench in front of you. :) With the trans in the car, I bet the only hard part is getting your hands onto the switches and connectors.

Oh the transmission is very much in the car. The six speed has to be dropped to get to the NSS on top. I also found out from a Subaru tech that it is a good idea to have the correct NSS in the car so the ecu knows what gear you are in. Anyway, thanks for the info, I am trying eliminate all the surprises I can.

I called subaru parts department but they didnt know either.

Parts

"with a welder you can make anything fit" lol

Does anyone know the answer to this?

It is from an impreza model so it will likely not just bolt in to a newer Legacy body style. What are you planning to do for a clutch resevoir? You may want to source a legacy pedal assembly with all the correct clutch lines and clutch resevoir. I would call Millenium Auto in Michigan. They have a ton of salvage Subaru parts. Even if you can get a good deal on the STI assembly you may end up spending more money than finding the correct parts if you include your time and anxiety in the cost.

Can you remove the rear crossmember and lower it a bit? How did you do it?

Ya, put it up on my lift. Remove the heat shield between the exhaust & the drive shaft. Unbolt the exhaust at the spring bolt. Support tranny with a jack. Unbolt tanny's cross tie. Let jack down. Take 4' pipe & pray tranny toward PS & wedge a 2"x4"x4" between the side of the tunnel & the tranny. Now you should be able to get to the NSS.

After I got mine done. It dawn on me. If you removed the TMIC & the Dog Bone underneath & depending on the size of your hands & arms. You mite not have to pray & block the tranny over. I told you IPITA.

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

If by 5spd you mean a wrx's 5sp clutch, then yes it will work in the 6spd, you just need to use the 5mt flywheel too. As for the 07 trans with 05 legacy gt axles, they work just fine. I just installed a 07 6spd two days ago in my 05 LGT, and kept all 4 legacy axles.

DK

You would have to get 3.90 R/P to match 05 STI tranny. 07-09 LGT 5MT diffs have that ratio (vs. 4.11 on 05-06 5MT).

Why does the first post say that an LGT R160 can be used with the 06+ STI 6MT?

Don't the 06+ STI 6MTs require 3.54:1 rear diffs?

Ya, put it up on my lift. Remove the heat shield between the exhaust & the drive shaft. Unbolt the exhaust at the spring bolt. Support tranny with a jack. Unbolt tanny's cross tie. Let jack down. Take 4' pipe & pray tranny toward PS & wedge a 2"x4"x4" between the side of the tunnel & the tranny. Now you should be able to get to the NSS.

After I got mine done. It dawn on me. If you removed the TMIC & the Dog Bone underneath & depending on the size of your hands & arms. You mite not have to pray & block the tranny over. I told you IPITA.

Mike

Just for reference. If you DO need to get to the Neutral Safety Switch or the Reverse Switch on a six speed - removing the dogbone is the cats meow. It lowers the transmission an additional 6" and is enough to get even the biggest paws in there to change the switches. If you have access to a lift I would recommend that for sure. On a lift with air tools you are talking about 30 minutes at most. Remove intercooler, dogbone, heatshield (careful with the o2 sensor), crossmember, lower it gently. Thanks to Mike for the help on this one.

Shawn

If I had the choice, I'd go with the FLSD over a DCCD, especially if I already had an LSCD. But the real question is why not both an LSD and DCCD if you have that opportunity (and a DCCD-capable 6MT).
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -