LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

The driveshaft is en route.

I'm about to give up on getting a transmission from Rallispec, they were supposed to get back to me Tuesday, but have just ignored half of my emails and phone calls. Will talk to a local transmission shop this week about putting spec B gears into an STI 6MT.

AFAIK Dave is Rallispec, so if he is gone for vacation or is busy, Rallispec can't do much. When I talked with him and then met him, I got the feeling he was a better parts guru than businessman or delegater. Perhaps don't give up just yet.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thanks, but yeah I'm going for an 04/05.

I'm trying to compile the part numbers for the spec B gears. I think this is what Rallispec uses in their 'high speed gear ratios' conversion - the ratios shown on their web site match the spec B ratios shown at cars101.com. Everything but the 2nd drive gear is on opposedforces.com...

Drive gears:

2nd: ??? still looking...

3rd: 32275AA590

4th: 32276AA300

5th: 32341AA380

6th: 32337AA060 (pre Dec 07) / 32363AA120 (post Dec 07)

Driven gears:

2nd: 32251AA910

3rd/4th: 32254AA630

5th/6th: 32364AA100

Baulk rings: 32614AA111

Reference: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_12/

Edited by NSFW

• 2 weeks later...
Also, a little bit of information for those that get an STi shift linkage. You can buy a 07+ Spec B stay rod and shifter rod so that it puts the shifter in the center of the console opening. You will reuse the STi shift lever and reverse lockout cable as well as the rubber boot thing on the bottom. If you plan on upgrading to an aftermarket shifter and are using the STi shift linkage, only 04-07 STi lever will work as after having a discussion and sending pictures to Tom @ Kartboy, he said that only the 04-07 STi shift lever will work with the STi linkage setup.

Part #'s for those that have STi shift linkages and want to center their shifters without cutting/welding/spacing:

Spec B Shifter Rod: 35041AG020

Spec B Shifter Stay: 35031AG020

that's cheaper than having the sti ones extended by a shop.

im ordering them monday :) always bothered me after my swap that my shifter wasnt centered.

heres the parts from myimportparts.com (chandler subaru superstore in chandler, AZ)

Part Number: 35041AG020 ROD CP GEAR SHIFT $20.37

Part Number: 35031AG020 STAY CP GEAR SHIFT $33.38

Edited by Z0rr0

These figures will vary a lot, depending on whether you can / will wait for great deals to pop up in the classifieds, but here's what I'm paying:

$3500ish for the trans and diff.

$565 for the driveshaft

$700ish for the rear axles (I think.... haven't bought them yet)

$300ish for a used spec B shift linkage

$300ish for the DCCD controller

Plus small parts that I haven't added up.

Plus whatever you want to spend on a clutch.

Someone said they did it for $3000 or so, partly due to a great deal on a transmission and diff. I tried looking for a great deal, but ran out of patience. :)

I"m confused as to why you are not just using an 07 Spec B transmission? Or even an 07 Sti transmission. You will have the gears and diffs if you wanted LSD and DCCD and the new synchros.

You can get brand new 07 STi bare transmissions for 3800 from the dealer(or used to be able to).

You seem to be making a lot more work and expense for yourself.

Why did you choose to send an 04 to have gears installed? I assume there is a reason I am just curious what it is. Did you get a non working 04 Sti tranny for cheap from Silverline?

Thanks

Ben

I want DCCD, an open center diff when DCCD is 'off,' front LSD, 35/65 torque split, and spec B gearing.

There's a little bit more info in the 'master swap thread' but that's what it boils down to.

Getting all of those in one box is taking some extra work and expense, yes.

Edited by NSFW
forgot to mention from LSD & 35/65

Does the STI flywheel mount with the same bolts as the LGT / 06 WRX flywheel?

I'm guessing it does, but I'd hate to be wrong... :)

Yes, but get the STi fly wheel bolt. They are hex head bolts. Not the Torx T-50 plus heads.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Whats the torque split on the 07 spec B? Just wondering. Also, to get dccd, is that something I can add to my transmission? Or would I have to get an sti takeoff?

If the Cases are the same in that area & the center diff splines . You can add the DCCD, but you would need to do is at least drill a hole in the case for the wires to the DCCD. That can be sealed, so your 6MT don't leak.

I would price the different between installing DCCD & Front LSD in the Spec. B 6MT. & buying a use STi 6MT.

Then go from there.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I see. Thanks Mike, but any idea what the torque split on the stock Spec. B is? Is it biased rear like the sti?

Also, the are the gear ratio's the same in the Spec. B 6 vs the Sti 6 speed

Take a look at the first two posts in this thread.

...and I'm 6MTified now. Will update the first page with some more pics later tonight.

It took 3 of us 5 hours to pull out the 5MT, driveshaft, diff, and axles.

Then we got stalled for a couple days for lack of a clutch fork pivot shaft.

Then it took 2 of us 10 hours to put the 6MT and everything back in.

Still need to wire up the DCCD controller and put the interior trim back onto the center console, but I've driven 20 miles or so with no trouble.

Those of you who have already done this... can you re-use the 5MT shift boot with a 6MT shift lever? I was think it would fit right back in, but I forgot about the reverse lockout ring thing. Can I just pop that off, put the shift boot on, and reassemble the lockout?

Huge huge thanks to Easy19 and Citka for all the help.

Edited by NSFW

• 2 weeks later...