LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Option #1:

Transmission Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B 6MT, 2004, 2005 STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B R180, 2004+ STI R180, <2004 Legacy or you can use a regeared stock R160 as well with stock LGT rear axles

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - 2007+ Spec B or custom Driveshaft Shop Axles

Or fine a 3:90 geared WRX R160 rear end.

For shifting linkage more centered in the console, 2 option; 07 Spec.B 6MT shifting linkage or lengthen both STi 6MT shifting rod by 3/8". Like I done.

Mike

Thanks for clarifying the shifter linkage question Mike! That's what I was hoping would be the case.

I'm still not real clear on the rear diff gearing though. You talk about Option 1 above but I was referring to the second option:

"Option #2:

Transmission Choice: 2006+ STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: Stock LGT R160

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - Stock LGT"

This makes it sound like like you can use the stock R160 and doesn't mention anything about re-gearing the rear diff. Then you read this part in the Pro/Con section:

"2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your Stock R160 on the 07+ cars, if you use an 04-05 STI trans.. the GT 5MT came in 2005-2006 4.11FD 2007-2009 5MT 3.90FD (PRO - Cheaper CON - weaker rear diff if using the R160)"

But this is about as clear as mud to me. So, does this say you need to re-gear?

I found an '07 STi tranny and according to cars101.com the '07 STi came with a final ratio of 3.545. According to the same site my '05 LGT has a final ratio of 4.111. So, do I need to get it changed to 3.545?

Sorry to pick nits but if this is to be the "6MT master swap thread" why make folks go searching for more information? Why not put it all in one post? Then again, it may just be that I don't know enough about this stuff to understand what's being said here.

It could also be that all the information is in the original post but the way groff worded it has me confused.

I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm just trying to figure out how to make this work. I've read this thread like 5 times and I'm still confused on this rear diff gearing.

After all that I think I'm going to pass on this for now anyway. If anyone is interested Millenium Automotive has an '07 STi 6MT kit available. :D;)

Cheers!

-Ian

OK, I'll try to be clearer. Whatever 6MT you use, STi or Sec.B, you need to match the rear end gear ratio with the final drive ratio of the tranny your using. Here some ways to do that, 1) find another R160 rear end with the right gear ratio & reuse your stock half shafts. 2) re-gear your R160 to the right gear ratio reuse your stock half shafts. 3) Get a R180 from STi or 07 & ^ spec.B with the right gear ratio & 07 ^ spec.B rear half shafts.

Does this help,

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

What final gear ration has JDM spec.B 6MT - 1 or 1.1? I have R160 with 3.9 final ration. The 6MT has installed and ran about 500 km.

If the 6MT has 1.1 could it be any problem with 6MT after such mileage?

Is the spec b 6 speed just as strong as a sti 6 speed?

IMO yes, But these are what you won't get with the Spec.B 6MT. That you do get in a STi 6MT, a Front LSD & Center DCCD.

Mike

What final gear ration has JDM spec.B 6MT - 1 or 1.1? I have R160 with 3.9 final ration. The 6MT has installed and ran about 500 km.

If the 6MT has 1.1 could it be any problem with 6MT after such mileage?

IDK final gear ration has JDM spec.B 6MT,but with only 500km you'll probity ok. I would limit my driving until you know for sure. If it has 1.1, you"ll need, I think a 3:54 (double check please) rear end. And with 3:90, your center diff is get the hell abused out of it.

Mike

IMO yes, But these are what you won't get with the Spec.B 6MT. That you do get in a STi 6MT, a Front LSD & Center DCCD.

Mike

Don't you also get a pressure-lubricated (read: internal pump-pressurized) system with the STI 6MTs and not with the SPEC Bs, or is that all just a figment of my addled recollection. IIRC the STI boxes are pressure-lubed, whereas the Spec Bs are not - which would be a large advantage to going with the STI Box IMHO.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Mike

it would also make the swap alot more expensive right? or not becuase sti 6 speeds are more common?:confused:

I would bet that the Spec B tranny would be cheaper. STi 6 speeds might be more common but are also pretty popular with the WRX crowd as an upgrade too.

any idea what a spec b swap would cost? if everything was baught from subaru

I'm guessing around $8k or more from Subaru. You have to buy everything separately, 6MT,TOB, clutch fork, Drive shaft, shifter, shifter knob, flywheel, presser plate, clutch, slave cylinder & alot of odds & ends.

Just a guess off the top of my head,

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

I'm guessing around $8k or more. You have to buy everything separately, 6MT,TOB, clutch fork, Drive shaft, shifter, shifter knob, flywheel, presser plate, clutch, slave cylinder & alot of odds & ends.

Just a guess off the top of my head,

Mike

dam, i duno if ima be able 2 afford a 6 speed swap.

I got my complete STi 6MT swap for under $3k easily. You just have to be patient and start buying things when you find them at a good deal. I had the majority of my swap sitting at home for almost a year.

I got my complete STi 6MT swap for under $3k easily. You just have to be patient and start buying things when you find them at a good deal. I had the majority of my swap sitting at home for almost a year.

where did you get your parts from?

You might give "Millenium Auto" a call 1 586 336-9600 and speak with Frank. I bought my Spec B 6 speed swap from them. They are located in Michigan and part-out a alot of Subarus. Do a google search and you can find them easily.

You might give "Millenium Auto" a call 1 586 336-9600 and speak with Frank. I bought my Spec B 6 speed swap from them. They are located in Michigan and part-out a alot of Subarus. Do a google search and you can find them easily.

how much did it cost u

where did you get your parts from?

NASIOC, Ebay, SVX Forum, car-parts.com, and other various places. I stumbled across my tranny on the svx board. SOmeone bought it to rebuild to put in an svx but never got around to it. He sold it to me for $900 shipped and I spent another $400 to get it fixed. Driveshaft was under $100 shipped from car-parts.com, etc....the only thing I had to buy new were the rear axles. I got them for around $600 a pair new.

I had a 6 speed installled and never changed over the nss from the 5 speed. Looking at the 5 speed there are two sensors/wires at the rear of the tranny. My question is : Are they both neutral switches or just one of them?

Also: How far does the tranny need to be dropped to get to the switch?

Shawn

No one's your back-up light the other is your NSS.

Just a guess, I haven't got around to do mine yet. I would remove your exhaust, heat shield, drive shaft, put jack under tranny & jack it up a little and remove the front & rear tranny support cross breams. Let jack back down.

Mike

No one's your back-up light the other is your NSS.

Mike

Any idea which one? One is a black cap with a white dot and the other is white cap with black dot. The one at the rear of the 5 speed has the black cap/ white dot.

Sorry I don't, you have to jack the car up anyways. I would turn you key in the forward, tranny in "R". Go under the car and unplug one to see if your "R" lights go out. If not you know it's the other one.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I've been sifting through this thread and some others, and I'm putting together a shopping list... My goal is to end up with the following: 6MT, DCCD, R180, no R160 parts or EAT parts, Torsen diffs front and rear, and 35F/65R torque split. Parts list so far:

04-05 STI 6MT (3.9 FD)

07+ STI R180 (3.9 FD, I think?)

07-09 SpecB driveshaft

07-09 SpecB rear axles (P/N 28421AG03B), axle seals (P/N 806732200)

6MT rear tranny mount

07 Spec B shift linkage

specB or STI flywheel,

flywheel bolts,

STI clutch (not sure which yet...)

clutch slave cylinder

shift fork

goodridge SS clutch hose

Spiider DCCD controller

Am I on the right track so far? Can I get a sanity check?

Thanks!

EDIT: well, crap. I have conflicting info about which 6MTs have 35/65 vs 40/60.

Edited by NSFW