LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Can someone confirm that the rear diff for an 08 spec B is a 3.54. I have seen conflicting information on this. Subaru and the source of the transmission says 3.54.

Yes, the rear diff is 3.545, but there is 1.1:1 reduction in the tranny, so the actual final ratio is 3.9.

Thanks. I have a r160 - 3.54 that I will use.

Here is what I purchased:

08 Spec B transmission, Spec B shift linkage, Spec B driveshaft, spec B flywheel and clutch, spec B slave cylinder and shift fork.

Am I missing anything?

Edited by KCwagon

SpecB/STI flywheel bolts. They are different and you don't want to use the evil Torx Plus bolts from 5MT anyway.

You'll need spring for the shift fork and different clutch cylinder hose (buy a SS Goodridge).

You will also need the SpecB shifter trim piece and shifter boot, unless you hack the 5-speed boot one to fit.

You will be able to connect the rear O2 harness if you reuse part of it from 5-speed (just plugs in, no splicing).

Don't forget to transfer over the neutral switch from 5MT (something I did).

That should be it.

Just purchased an 08 STI tranny, driveshaft, flywheel, shifter, and rear diff. I am using an aftermarket clutch, spec b rear axles. I know I need to use the 5spd nss and reverse switch. Can I use my 5 spd front axles and is there anything else I need that is essential to the install? I'm getting all the little stuff like group n 6 spd mount, sts, ss clutch line and all the little things.

Just purchased an 08 STI tranny, driveshaft, flywheel, shifter, and rear diff. I am using an aftermarket clutch, spec b rear axles. I know I need to use the 5spd nss and reverse switch. Can I use my 5 spd front axles and is there anything else I need that is essential to the install? I'm getting all the little stuff like group n 6 spd mount, sts, ss clutch line and all the little things.

DCCD controller,

What I used,

My DCCD controller

” Spiider’s” Auto DCCD controller

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/0904071237_edited.jpg

http://dccdpro.com/?page_id=5

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I'm going to be getting a 6 speed tranny installed in 2 weeks time at Lachute Performance in Montreal.

It's a '04 USDM STi transmission with DCCD. It comes with the stock clutch and flywheel for the '04 STi, but I am wondering if that would be enough to hold 350 whp.

Edited by PhilT

Don't remember, it's the strongest tranny Subaru makes. In all my research it's the only thing people making 415whp up to 530 whp they didn't change other then the clutch.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvyFbcZH-mU[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgg_kE1VmM[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...
I was just informed that the 08 sti tranny that I just bought wont work with out my car!!!!! I was told that the 08 tranny doesnt have a vehicle speed sensor while my car (06) does and thus wont get a speed signal and put the ecu into limp mode and have no speedometer. Can anyone verify this????? I need to know asap!! If so has anyone heard of any solutions to this issue??

I was just informed that the 08 sti tranny that I just bought wont work with out my car!!!!! I was told that the 08 tranny doesnt have a vehicle speed sensor while my car (06) does and thus wont get a speed signal and put the ecu into limp mode and have no speedometer. Can anyone verify this????? I need to know asap!! If so has anyone heard of any solutions to this issue??

Whoever you're listening to - stop now. 05-09 Legacies do not have tranny speed sensor either and take speed info from ABS. 08 STI tranny is perfect for swap (that's what I run).

You could have also read this thread (or associated 6MT swap threads).

Thats y it came as such a surprise to me. I did read this thread. All pages and while I did not read about the 06 not having wheel speed sensors I did read about the 08s going in with no problem. Unclemat I thank you for the relieving info. I was already thinking that this swap was a bad idea!! Whoo hoo!!....

Id say the 6 speed. The PPG cases may have the stronger gears, but still rely on the factory differentials and transfer case, both which are significantly weaker than the 6speed units stock offerings.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

The swap is done and I have to say the 6 speed is great. I do have a question about the NSS. My reverse lights work but I have no cruise control. I have read the posts and understand that I need to use the 5 speed NSS. Is there a diagram or clearer description of how to fix this?

SpecB/STI flywheel bolts. They are different and you don't want to use the evil Torx Plus bolts from 5MT anyway.

You'll need spring for the shift fork and different clutch cylinder hose (buy a SS Goodridge).

You will also need the SpecB shifter trim piece and shifter boot, unless you hack the 5-speed boot one to fit.

You will be able to connect the rear O2 harness if you reuse part of it from 5-speed (just plugs in, no splicing).

Don't forget to transfer over the neutral switch from 5MT (something I did).

That should be it.

Thank you all for the great information on this!

I have read and reread this thread and HD's pioneering install thread, but I have some gearing questions (obviously I didn't re-re-read them! Or take notes ;)). I know it's likely been answered by unclemat at some point in here but perhaps groff can edit his original post so it's a bit clearer. ;)

The section of the original post I'm referring to concerns rear differentials and how they are geared:

"2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your Stock R160 on the 07+ cars, if you use an 04-05 STI trans.. the GT 5MT came in 2005-2006 4.11FD 2007-2009 5MT 3.90FD..."

So, does this say if one uses a 2006 or newer STi 6MT donor, they can use their stock rear differential ONLY if the LGT it's going into is a 2007 or newer?

What would someone need if they were swapping this 2006 or newer STi transmission into a 2005 or 2006 LGT?

Also, with regards to the shift linkage and shifter. Would the linkage out of a spec B not have to be modified to fit more centered in the console? Or is everyone (except HD) just not driving with their "ash tray" door open so it doesn't interfere in 3rd and 5th gear?

Thanks!

Thank you all for the great information on this!

I have read and reread this thread and HD's pioneering install thread, but I have some gearing questions (obviously I didn't re-re-read them! Or take notes ;)). I know it's likely been answered by unclemat at some point in here but perhaps groff can edit his original post so it's a bit clearer. ;)

The section of the original post I'm referring to concerns rear differentials and how they are geared:

"2006+ STI 6MT has a 1:1 stepper center differential which allows you to use your Stock R160 on the 07+ cars, if you use an 04-05 STI trans.. the GT 5MT came in 2005-2006 4.11FD 2007-2009 5MT 3.90FD..."

So, does this say if one uses a 2006 or newer STi 6MT donor, they can use their stock rear differential ONLY if the LGT it's going into is a 2007 or newer?

What would someone need if they were swapping this 2006 or newer STi transmission into a 2005 or 2006 LGT?

Also, with regards to the shift linkage and shifter. Would the linkage out of a spec B not have to be modified to fit more centered in the console? Or is everyone (except HD) just not driving with their "ash tray" door open so it doesn't interfere in 3rd and 5th gear?

Thanks!

Option #1:

Transmission Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B 6MT, 2004, 2005 STI 6MT

Rear Differential Choice: 2007+ LGT Spec B R180, 2004+ STI R180, <2004 Legacy or you can use a regeared stock R160 as well with stock LGT rear axles

Axles: Front - Stock LGT, Rear - 2007+ Spec B or custom Driveshaft Shop Axles

Or fine a 3:90 geared WRX R160 rear end.

For shifting linkage more centered in the console, 2 option; 07 Spec.B 6MT shifting linkage or lengthen both STi 6MT shifting rod by 3/8". Like I done.

Mike