LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

different from using a sti tranny 04-07

Not any different except it doesn't have dipstick, but a plug on the side (which I kinda like better actually).

There are several differences between various years, notably 04-05 vs. 06 vs 07/08 - different final ratio, different gearing, different f/r bias of the cetner diff. You need to do more research.

Not any different except it doesn't have dipstick, but a plug on the side (which I kinda like better actually).

Why do you like that better? It's a complete bonehead move on the part of Subaru. Now you can't check fluid levels without doing a full drain and refill.

So now, if you find a small leak or a puddle of fluid under the car, and you determine it is gear oil, you have no idea how much is actually left in the gearbox.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Why do you like that better? It's a complete bonehead move on the part of Subaru. Now you can't check fluid levels without doing a full drain and refill.

So now, if you find a small leak or a puddle of fluid under the car, and you determine it is gear oil, you have no idea how much is actually left in the gearbox.

Well, I like it better with 08+ STI TMIC that completely blocks access to the dipstick. Otherwise, especially with FMIC, the dipstick is better.

And, no you can check the level without full drain - don't know about you, but I don't use the drain plug to check level, but the refill plug... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
What are you guys using as far as fluid in the R180 rear end? My dealer said there is no need for the LSD Oil and to use Special S fluid. Thoughts? I finally have everything for my swap. Just need to find time to put it in.

Also, why hasnt this been Stickied?!?!?!?!?!?! I mean we have a "Email Spec Clutch To make a FW" stickied even though at is well known now that the 06 wrx fw works. This thread has everythikng you need to do a 6mt swap. just doesnt make much sense to me.

What are you guys using as far as fluid in the R180 rear end? My dealer said there is no need for the LSD Oil and to use Special S fluid. Thoughts? I finally have everything for my swap. Just need to find time to put it in.

anyone?

anyone?

Depends what type of LSD. 2004-2006 STI R180 are clutch and need oil with friction modifiers (i.e. NOT Extra-S). 2007+ are Torsen and can use anything, doesn't matter.

Depends what type of LSD. 2004-2006 STI R180 are clutch and need oil with friction modifiers (i.e. NOT Extra-S). 2007+ are Torsen and can use anything, doesn't matter.

Thanks Unclemat....I think I have everything now. Going to install it next weekend. Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Speed sensor are in the front wheel hub assembly area. When I swap in my 05 STi 6MT in my 05 GT. There was only 6 wires to hook-up from the 6MT, 2 for NSS (Neutral Safety Switch), 2 for the Backup lights & 2 from the DCCD.

Side note, you need to use the 5MT's Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). For your cruise control to work.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

This post should be a sticky.

I agree and why it hasnt is beyond me.

Just a FYI - Rear Axle Seals for R180 rear end = 806732200

Whoever started this thread, maybe you could edit your first post with some part numbers? I have posted a few in the last few months.

Speed sensor are in the front wheel hub assembly area. When I swap in my 05 STi 6MT in my 05 GT. There was only 6 wires to hook-up from the 6MT, 2 for NSS (Neutral Safety Switch), 2 for the Backup lights & 2 from the DCCD.

Side note, you need to use the 5MT's Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). For your cruise control to work.

Mike

Thanks HD.

We just rewired the NSS on the 6mt to work with the Legacy harness. We would of had it doen this weekend but noticed one of the rear axles seals being torn and no one having on in stock that was open. Got the seals today so it should be ready this afternoon:)

Car is finally done:) Thanks to all the people that made the swap a weekend project.

A few notes - Buy new axle seals even if you dont think you need them. Make sure you have the right ones. The part that connects the shift linkage to the stub coming out of the tranny cost $55 from the dealer and is a PITA to get ahold of one locally. The auto driveshaft works but you have to switch the part that connects to the diff in the rear. It will make sense when you see it.

That is all I can think of for now. I will add to this if I think of anything else.