LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Those of you who have already done this... can you re-use the 5MT shift boot with a 6MT shift lever? I was think it would fit right back in, but I forgot about the reverse lockout ring thing. Can I just pop that off, put the shift boot on, and reassemble the lockout?

Yes, here's how I did mine,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1326375&postcount=76

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Has anyone swapped a 5EAT for a 6 speed on here? Can you put a list together?

You would need a lot mroe than what is on page 1. Look for threads where people went from an auto to manual setup. You will need the pedal assembly, clutch master/slave cylinders, etc on top of everything on page 1.

OOOOOOOOO ya:cool: With the DCCD turn all the way down. You can kick the rear out. Slide it threw the corner, then the front LSD in the STI 6MT will pull you out straight & true :cool::cool::cool::wub:

Mike

I just thought that was from all the powa I had in my car:lol:

The only time I lock down the center diff is when I am getting on the dyno:p

...and I'm 6MTified now. Will update the first page with some more pics later tonight.

It took 3 of us 5 hours to pull out the 5MT, driveshaft, diff, and axles.

Then we got stalled for a couple days for lack of a clutch fork pivot shaft.

Then it took 2 of us 10 hours to put the 6MT and everything back in.

Still need to wire up the DCCD controller and put the interior trim back onto the center console, but I've driven 20 miles or so with no trouble.

Those of you who have already done this... can you re-use the 5MT shift boot with a 6MT shift lever? I was think it would fit right back in, but I forgot about the reverse lockout ring thing. Can I just pop that off, put the shift boot on, and reassemble the lockout?

Huge huge thanks to Easy19 and Citka for all the help.

Sweet!

Glad to hear Easy and Citka were able to help! Those guys are awesome! :D;)

Cheers!

I have a question.... I have the 07 LGT Auto (5EAT) and would be be swapping everything over. Would I need the ECU, Cluster, key fob, antenna from the manual LGT for this all to work with the 06 STI tranny?

I know if I was going with the 5sp from the LGT that I could ground a pin in the ECU to make it act like it was in Neutral but would need the ECU, Cluster, key fob and antenna from a manual LGT in order to not have a cel. I was curious if I should get the ECU etc from the Manual LGT or if somehow the STI ECU was needed? Hope you know what Im trying to ask lol.

I have a question.... I have the 07 LGT Auto (5EAT) and would be be swapping everything over. Would I need the ECU, Cluster, key fob, antenna from the manual LGT for this all to work with the 06 STI tranny?

I know if I was going with the 5sp from the LGT that I could ground a pin in the ECU to make it act like it was in Neutral but would need the ECU, Cluster, key fob and antenna from a manual LGT in order to not have a cel. I was curious if I should get the ECU etc from the Manual LGT or if somehow the STI ECU was needed? Hope you know what Im trying to ask lol.

DRoc, There have been others that have done the conversion you're thinking about.

Check out this thread....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-5eat-6mt-5mt-swap-questions-05-lgt-thread-132374.html

Cheers!

^ Truth.

Citka is talking about getting himself a Subaru too now.

I may not be allowed to leave his garage until his car is faster than mine.

Sweet! Is your car still in his garage? Maybe we can do a midnight raid and steal it back! :lol: :lol: ;)

I'm sure he could build a beast. I need to get a ride with you sometime. Then again, maybe that would be a bad idea.

I'm thinking a mild turbo upgrade would be plenty for me. :D;)

Well, parts of my car are still in his garage... but it's the parts I no longer need, like the 5MT and rear diff. :) We'll take care of that tomorrow though.

Rides can be arranged, but not quite yet. I'm not running full boost right now, but I expect to have it dialed in by the weekend. Shoot me a PM next week if you want.

My friend is finishing up the 6MT swap on the wagon and there were a couple of things that came up. We used a 4EAT drive shaft which seemed a bit long and when taking it for a road test, the splines in the mid-prop shaft disengaged sounding like broken gear teeth mis-meshing.

The prop shaft my friend installed came out of a sedan and should it have come out of a 4EAT wagon? I'm using an '08 tranny with an r160 rear diff and was wondering if anyone has used this combo and what drive shaft / length was used?

Lastly, the shift lever is offset toward the passenger side. A specB SPT short shift lever was used and I'm wondering if anyone performed mods to the shift linkage/brackets to center the lever.

Thanks in advance for your help / suggestions

Edited by atwood

You needed the driveshaft from a 4EAT wagon. I think that was explained in the first post. That is what I used and never had any problems with my 6MT conversion in my wagon.

I used the STI Shifter assmebly with a kartboy short shifter without any problems.

The drive shaft used was from a wrecked 07 4EAT wagon so the drive shaft could've been already busted, but it drove around OK for about 5 minutes...and the SPT SpecB shift lever is off where it won't go into reverse with the bezel installed (interference). Will need to look into this more, but thinking of trying STi Shift linkage as well. Does or did anyone have issues regarding the shift linkage and driveshaft similar to mine?

I used the existing Spec B linkage and it works great. Many others have used the STI linkage with success as well. I also used the Spec B driveshaft so I can't speak to that. My undertanding is that the Spec B driveshaft and the auto driveshaft are virtually the same.

Are all your mounts in good condition and installed correctly? It sounds like something is not alligned correctly for some reason.