LegacyGT.com

MSN Auto - First Drive: 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited

Underdog

Hyperlink

First Drive: 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited

This turbocharged all-season sedan exudes confidence and comfort.

By Evan Griffey of MSN autos

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/media/425x255/9d/9daca231b03140cdabdb49b8eb3ab2c5.jpg

Click to see more pictures

Though the 2.5GT faces stiff competition, its advantages include price, a capable all-wheel-drive system and focused driving dynamics.

The Legacy 2.5GT is a one of those sedans that, for no fault of its own, flies below the radar. Recognition can be tough when going against the monsters of the midway in the midsized sedan segment, namely the Honda Accord, Chevy Malibu, Acura TL and BMW 3-Series. Combining the soul of a WRX, upscale amenities and the control of Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system, the Legacy 2.5GT impresses on many levels.

Model Lineup

The Legacy comes in seven distinct flavors: 2.5i, 2.5i Special Edition, 2.5i Limited, 2.5GT Limited, 2.5GT Spec B, 3.0R and 3.0R Limited. All 2.5i-branded models feature naturally aspirated 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engines. The 3.0R models are motivated by naturally aspirated 3.0-liter 6-cylinder powerplants. The GT-designated models, like our Ruby Red Pearl Limited tester, represent the top of the line and sport turbocharged 2.5-liter 4-cylinders.

The Legacy lineup became strictly sedan in 2008 when all of Subaru’s midsize wagons moved under the Outback banner. New equipment for the 2009 model includes a standard 385-watt Harman Kardon audio system with nine speakers, an integrated key remote transmitter that puts the buttons on the key instead of a keychain fob, and some minor interior trim enhancements.

Under the Hood

The GT-series Legacy Limited and Spec B are powered by a WRX-based turbocharged and intercooled 2.5-liter boxer 4-cylinder that sends 243 horsepower coursing through the Legacy’s all-wheel-drive system. It also delivers 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway mileage. Subaru’s signature horizontally opposed engine features a specially reinforced aluminum block, integral cast-iron cylinder liners and a semi-closed deck design with five main bearings for added strength and peace of mind. On the thrill side, 13.5 psi of max boost is at the ready.

Although Subaru’s SI-Drive seemed a bit gimmicky when we first climbed behind the wheel, we soon appreciated the capabilities of the system that allows cockpit control of engine behavior. SI-Drive alters the actuation of the electronically controlled throttle, offering three different programs. In automatic-transmission models, the system also controls shift points and shift firmness. “Intelligent” mode backs off engine torque and maximum power and switches to a more relaxed throttle-response curve and can also help increase fuel efficiency in certain driving situations. Clicking the SI-Drive knob, positioned just behind the shifter, to “Sport” mode results in a smooth, more linear onslaught of power. Jumping to “Sport Sharp” mode unleashes maximum ferocity with super-fast throttle response and quicker turbo spool-up.

We took the “set it and forget it” approach and used the Sport Sharp setting a vast majority of the time. Switching between Sport Sharp and Intelligent, while dropping the hammer on back-to-back blasts, vividly illustrated the Legacy’s split personality. In Intelligent mode, the car was a docile, dependable and competent cruiser showing average get-up-and-go. Clicking into Sport Sharp there was an immediate eagerness under your right foot, and our 5-speed automatic-transmission model was brazen, to say the least, revving out to the engine’s 6500-rpm redline before up-shifting and giving the Legacy a decidedly formidable feel. Simply put, the SI-Drive’s intensity gave the 2.5-liter engine the personality and pulling power of a bigger engine.

Inner Space

The Legacy cabin is a welcome combination of subtle styling cues and upscale appointments with ample room for five adults. The 2.5GT Limited edition includes a touch-screen navigation system, an excellent gauge cluster and plenty of standard-equipment features and controls. The seats are soft, perforated leather with built-in electronic warmers, and the cabin is trimmed with quality materials including wood trim. In short, the interior is well beyond pedestrian; it’s comfortable and quiet but not in the same league as Lexus or BMW. And at this price point, a more upscale vibe would have been appreciated.

On the Road

The balance exuded by the Legacy was immediately recognizable. Like an honor student, it gets good grades in all areas. The Subaru’s ride is stable and compliant but in no way soft or spongy. Push matters and the chassis responds with good road feel and an overall sense of confidence.

The senses are again rewarded when the SI-Drive knob is moved into Sport Sharp mode. With the added zest in throttle response, we took full advantage of the engine’s 13.5 psi of turbo boost. The Legacy has substantial passing power and an unexpected crispness that belies its subtle styling.

Automatic 2.5GTs include paddle shifting, a feature that has become the rage of manufacturers trying to play the “sporty” card. While we appreciate having the choice to determine gear changes, the system’s slow-motion shifts and lack of a rev-matching downshift feature relegate it to marketing mumbo-jumbo. The bottom line is that the automatic shifts firmly enough. If you want more real-world control, opt for the 5-speed manua

Right for You?

The Legacy 2.5GT’s biggest advantage over its competition is Subaru’s Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system. It represents different things to different people depending on their approach to driving. Light-footed family commuters see it as safety insurance, while McSporty types are in touch with the performance attributes all-wheel drive can deliver. Subaru signs on both dotted lines because pleasing the masses is good business.

Our Legacy 2.5GT Limited tester with an automatic transmission and fitted with zero options sported a sticker price of $32,395. Opting for a 5-speed stick drops the price to $28,895. The Legacy 2.5GT is priced in line with Accord and below the TL and 3-Series, so there is value to be had. And for those who dare the monsters, the Legacy 2.5GT will deliver a robust driving experience in all seasons.

Seems like a pretty fair write up.

"Our Legacy 2.5GT Limited tester with an automatic transmission and fitted with zero options sported a sticker price of $32,395. Opting for a 5-speed stick drops the price to $28,895."

^ That doesn't seem right. :confused:

IMO Nav is a waste of $$$. How hard is it to just look up directions at home on the net and go? Or the good ol, stop at a gas station if your lost?

I like how my stage 2 '05 LGT gets 27-28mpg hwy while the stock car gets 24mpg. :lol:

IMO Nav is a waste of $$$. How hard is it to just look up directions at home on the net and go? Or the good ol, stop at a gas station if your lost?

I like how my stage 2 '05 LGT gets 27-28mpg hwy while the stock car gets 24mpg. :lol:

Exactly!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Still needs a marketing bump in reported HP.

All the V6 rivals are pushing upwards of 300HP. We need to be at least at the 265HP level of the new WRX to get most of the potential V6 buyers of Toyota / Honda / Infiniti to look at the LGT.

We all know that the SpecB has something like 682 wheel horsepower standard, but thats a secret, forum-only fact. Customers need to be told this. 243HP advertised HP isn't that much any more.

But we've been saying this since 2006.:redface:

how a stage2 can get better than stock?

My stg 2 protune can get up to 34mpg in I mode on the highway :lol:

When I went on a Subaru Cruise meet for a ~500 mile spirited drive, I got almost 31mpg on Cobb Stg 2 map

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/Bbc84/Subaru%20Cruise%2008-02-08/P1060954.jpg

IMO Nav is a waste of $$$. How hard is it to just look up directions at home on the net and go? Or the good ol' date=' stop at a atgas station if your lost?[/quote']

You must be kidding, right?

Stock nav is crap, but good portable navi is priceless. I've used mapquest/google printed directions for years, but they don't help much when you're lost or you on the road and hitting multiple destinations... or destinations you don't know upfront.

At 9 of 10 times when I stop at "good, ol gas station" I run in some someone has no clue about anything and even does not live in the area :rolleyes: It's pretty good if he speaks English at all.

Garmin navi ftw!

Guest JessterCPA
We all know that the SpecB has something like 682 wheel horsepower standard, but thats a secret, forum-only fact.

Nice. :lol::lol:

we are all capable of using mapquest or google maps, its just the complete convenience of being able to at any moment at any time find anything with or without an address ( for the most part lol).... i mean yeah its $$ but then again its a great feature.

we are all capable of using mapquest or google maps, its just the complete convenience of being able to at any moment at any time find anything with or without an address ( for the most part lol).... i mean yeah its $$ but then again its a great feature.

That's what my cell if for.:lol:

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Guest heightsgtltd

"The seats are soft, perforated leather with built-in electronic warmers, and the cabin is trimmed with quality materials including wood trim"

He thought it had real wood trim? :lol: :lol:

Nice. :lol::lol:

Actually, I had my Spec. B dyno'd and it had a little over 600 whp STOCK! How did you get yours to 686? Did you use a TDC map? I hear there's a special fan you can buy from JC Whitney that goes on the tailpipe and helps suck out the exhaust and it's good for at least 15 whp. The K&N CAI air filter is good for another 25 hp, according to their website... and I've been reading about this special fuel magnet that improves gas mileage by 10%. Next, I'm going to debadge and see if that helps reduce Shrek's drag and that ought to get me at least 2 more mpg.

Am I missing anything?

Archived