LegacyGT.com

All season performance tire suggestions

tommboy

One thing to consider when changing diameter (215/45 to 225/45 or 205/50) is what you will do if you have a flat. Both of those changes are about 0.5in in diameter, or 1.5in in circumference, way over Subaru's recommended 0.25in circumference difference for long-term running. If you're just limping a few miles to a tire place, that's probably fine. If you're trying to finish a x00-mile trip, perhaps not?

For that reason, I carry a winter/summer tire as spare while on summer/winter tires. 205/50 and 225/45 are pretty close.

--Lee

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Were these ever offered in an all-season before they went to just summers? I recently saw an Audi with these tires on...and it's been about 15 degrees for the past week. Usually when is above 30 degrees, we get snow.

just curious.

They are all seasons. It was just that the Tire Rack survey indicated that they didn't do to well in the snow.

Here is the poop from the general tire web-site http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T1/Exclaim-UHP

They are all seasons. It was just that the Tire Rack survey indicated that they didn't do to well in the snow.

Here is the poop from the general tire web-site http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T1/Exclaim-UHP

wow, how strange; TireRack has them marked as a summer tire: :confused:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/general/general-tires.jsp

2nd this question... seriously considering this... is there any issues at all?

NO PROBLEMS!!

the WRX wheels are the exact same dimensions as the LGT wheels and most (if not all) of them run or come with 225/45/17.

I ran the size last year and I think the look better, especially on a wagon.

The extra width in the 225 makes a little wider stance and a little better rim protection.

Also, the 225 size usually has more choices 'cause more cars have that as an OE size (Civic Si, Golf/ Jetta...).

RE960's are incredible tire for all-seasons in 3 seasons and usable in the winter conditions.

The best thing about Kumho ASX's are they are round and cheap in comparison. Think of them as all-seasons and RE960's as ultra high performance all-seasons.

ignorance at it's best.

unusable in winter eh? not a problem here. did you forget about the ice tire test the 960 was in? it scored a 75 when a perfomance winter tire scored a 77.

better wet grip than most any tire out there.

dry grip is a few tenths down from summers. since NO ONE ON THIS FORUM street races...drives rough etc...that means no one drives like an ass enough to require the extra .03g's for summer grip.

my ONLY complaint is i want a stiffer sidewall and i am not calling it soft.

there is NO better all around tire than the re960.

asx's are cheap and you pay for what you get. when is the last time it beat the 960 in any test at anything? i'd take toyo proxes 4. super dry grippy tire. soft jello sidewall. good in snow and good on ice. siped makes them nuts to own. the sidewall is just too soft.

RE960's are incredible tire for all-seasons in 3 seasons and usable in the winter conditions.

The best thing about Kumho ASX's are they are round and cheap in comparison. Think of them as all-seasons and RE960's as ultra high performance all-seasons.

ignorance at it's best.

unusable in winter eh? not a problem here. did you forget about the ice tire test the 960 was in? it scored a 75 when a perfomance winter tire scored a 77.

better wet grip than most any tire out there.

dry grip is a few tenths down from summers. since NO ONE ON THIS FORUM street races...drives rough etc...that means no one drives like an ass enough to require the extra .03g's for summer grip.

my ONLY complaint is i want a stiffer sidewall and i am not calling it soft.

there is NO better all around tire than the re960.

asx's are cheap and you pay for what you get. when is the last time it beat the 960 in any test at anything? i'd take toyo proxes 4. super dry grippy tire. soft jello sidewall. good in snow and good on ice. siped makes them nuts to own. the sidewall is just too soft.

:icon_roll

True to form, but why don't you try commenting on what they actually wrote v. what you misread. (Here's a hint: useable ≠ unusable).

does anyone know what the difference between the michelin pilot sport A/S and michelin pilot sport A/S "plus" ?

on tirerack the plus doesn't have any ratings yet so i assume it's the newer version of the tire?

differences i can see are overall diameter is 25.1"(regular pilot sport) vs 25" (plus) and tread depth 11/32" and 10/32"

the tread pattern also looks different in the photo

Ok so I popped my RE92's (good thing maybe?) and I need to go buy some All season tires that are performance orientated 9sic). I'm not looking to spend a ridiculous amount of money on tires but I do want the best bang for the buck. I own a Subaru 2008 Legacy GT Stage 1 upgrade as well as short throw shifter.

Please give me your best suggestions of what to get and maybe an idea of the price point

Don't have a clue since your profile doesn't say where you live. So ice, rain, and snow traction are wild cards. And you don't say what your budget is: best bang for the buck might be an expensive long-lasting tire.

All-seasons will sacrifice performance in all seasons.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I would buy the Continetal Conti-Extremes again in a heart beat. But I disagree with the "very" in GTTuner's post. I would say they are slightly noisier than stock. Well worth the $$$ for the performance.

Agreed. I'd buy them again too. Yes they are noisy-er, but not enough that I notice at all 90% of the time.

• 2 months later...

Bumping an old thread. Thinking about putting either Conti Extreme Contacts on the car or Eagle GT's. What to go with?

In other words, I am selling my car, and the stock RE92s need replaced. If you were to buy my car and had to choose between these two tires, what tire would you pick, and why?

Bumping an old thread. Thinking about putting either Conti Extreme Contacts on the car or Eagle GT's. What to go with?

In other words, I am selling my car, and the stock RE92s need replaced. If you were to buy my car and had to choose between these two tires, what tire would you pick, and why?

Eagle GTs for the performance and treadwear rating. You probably can't go wrong with either tire though.

Archived