LegacyGT.com

All season performance tire suggestions

tommboy

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm happy with my RE960's. I had F1 all seasons before for 30k. The goodyears felt firmer and more responsive on dry/wet pavement but these should last longer and still feel good. There good enough on the snow for as little as it snows here, which is half a dozen times a year

• 1 year later...

They don't even make the Pirelli All season in 215/45/17 so they won't fit my 2005. The M and S is a great tire, it does lack stopping grip in all weather and they are about average in snow. Dry and Wet handling is very good. The one area to watch with Pirelli PZN models is the max load weight, which is lower than most models and a concern with AWD especially if you drive with a lot of passengers.

Conti's are supposed to be better in the rain and snow, but I'd take the Pirelli's if you are driving with a light load and looking for dry pavement performance with an all season tire. They ride quiet and smooth and wear well. Again, look out for the max load rating and the weight of your vehicle.

225/45R17, 205/50R17 fit your car too.

Krzys

Thanks Krzys...I'm fine with my M and S they only a year old and barely worn. I will keep that in mind for my next purchase though because the newer Pirelli PZN All Season is still a slightly better tire than the Conti in dry track conditions based on tire rack and a quieter ride so my assessment comparison to the M and S still holds true. Both of them are great tires though and I'd definitely go for the Conti's if you do a lot o wet wintry driving. Here's the TR comparison for the original thread question:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=119

I've driven on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus for 3k miles now, and I've gotten a good sense of how they handle in heavy rain and heavy snow:

Dry: Good. You have enough grip and sidewall stiffness to have some fun, but not quite enough for really giving it the beans. The ride quality is very nice and noise is on the low-moderate side.

Rain: Very good. Excellent hydroplanning resistance and overall good grip. Very reassuring feel even in downpours on the freeway.

Snow: Acceptable. During a heavy snowstorm and on several inches of the fresh stuff you want to take it easy and use common sense; avoid abrupt changes in throttle input and engine brake in place of regular braking when you can and the car will stay in good control. If you stomp on the gas or come in too fast into a corner you will slide. Once you get a hang of what you have to work with they become quite fun and you can perform some entertaining low-medium speed drifts.

I've probably written it somewhere in another thread, but really am sold on MPS AS+es, just ordered my third set.

Dry: Superb - enough so that I can take it open track/auto-x and feel very confident in both the speed and fast-turn conditions. Certainly exceeds my experience with Pirellis PZNs and Conti ECs in the same environment

Rain: Superb - Never feel slippery, or greasy, just turn, stop and go, even in SoCal's famous, cow-peeing-on-a-flat-rock downpours.

Snow: Up to 8 inches of heavy wet snow - where I'm 'plowing' snow, and light, pebbly snow on an ice bed. Stop, go, turn with relative ease. Very linear on acceleration, dig in well and track true. Just be aware of the limits and drive with those in mind.

Noise - properly inflated (I run mine 2-3 psi higher, e.g., 38F/36R) they are low to moderate, but never intrusive - unlike my Dunlop M3 Winter Sports, which let you know they're on from the first movement of the wheel.

They wear like iron, yet are supple - do not know how Michelin engineered this tread to be so satisfying, and yet perform so well, even beyond 40K miles. But you pay for this in the added cost per tire - well worth it in my experience.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...
They don't even make the Pirelli All season in 215/45/17 so they won't fit my 2005. The M and S is a great tire, it does lack stopping grip in all weather and they are about average in snow. Dry and Wet handling is very good. The one area to watch with Pirelli PZN models is the max load weight, which is lower than most models and a concern with AWD especially if you drive with a lot of passengers.

Conti's are supposed to be better in the rain and snow, but I'd take the Pirelli's if you are driving with a light load and looking for dry pavement performance with an all season tire. They ride quiet and smooth and wear well. Again, look out for the max load rating and the weight of your vehicle.

I have the new PZN A/S UHP, and have been pretty disappointed. I've driven about 1000miles. I can't report on wet traction yet, but as far as handling, on center feel is dull, and transitions are slow. I also have a sensation like i'm driving on tubes, especially during lane changes. The traction seems fine, but i think it's possibly weak sidewalls. It really affects driver confidence, even in just spirited daily driving. I'm comparing these to stock RE050s, and not another a/s tire, so perhaps my experience is skewed. However, I had MPS A/S on my previous car (2003 Maxima SE, replacing RE92s) and absolutely loved those.

Thought about going ahead and replacing with MPS A/S but they don't make it in stock 215/45/18, and i don't really want to mess with the mileage difference however small it might be, so i'll probably switch to hankook ventus and get a dedicated winter when the time comes...

I'd be interested in other people's experience with PZN A/S and if the lateral swim sensation goes away.

Thought about going ahead and replacing with MPS A/S but they don't make it in stock 215/45/18, and i don't really want to mess with the mileage difference however small it might be, so i'll probably switch to hankook ventus and get a dedicated winter when the time comes...

You do realize that the wear of your tires from new to old probably makes MORE of a difference for mileage than a slightly difference size, right?

I switched from 215-45-17 to 225-45-17 (MPS A/S+), and I find that for every "you are going this fast" sign, I'm 100% dead on now..

Archived