LegacyGT.com

All season performance tire suggestions

tommboy

Eagle GTs for the performance and treadwear rating. You probably can't go wrong with either tire though.

That's also what I've read. Yokohama AVID W4s are also supposed to be good.

If you're selling the car, I'd get whichever is cheaper. The Conti's were on sale a couple months ago, you got a $75 gift card if you bought 4.

Most recent UHP tire test at Tirerack - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=113

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS&width=215%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Subaru&autoYear=2005&autoModel=Legacy%20Wagon%202.5%20GT&autoModClar=Limited&minSpeedRating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S in 225/45/17 put on my car this morning. I've only driven about 10 miles on them, so bear in mind that they are probably squirming and not yet good traction on the wet as the break-in.

That being said, the ride difference between these (new, and at 39 PSI cold) and the falken 912s (23,000 miles and 36/34 PSI) is just amazing. The Michelins are immensely quiet so far and just absorb bumps in a way I didn't know my car could.

And so far, 225/45/17 seems like it fits and rides much better than the stock 215/45/17.

This is all on my Civic SI, but me likey. I'll do a longer review in approx 2 weeks/1000 miles.

tires are always quiet when you first get them, probably due to a number of things. i'm sure one of them is probably because the tread is really, really thick at this point. also remember that at 225/45/17, you have more sidewall so you're more cushioned than 215/45/17 ;)

hello there! :)

p.s. does anyone else find it absurd that a car like a civic, which is supposed to be sub-compact (well, not anymore i guess) has 17" rims? seems like cars and wheels are getting bigger and bigger all the time!

OK, I had to reread that three times as I was like "Why did you put H rated tires on your Legacy GT....dur...

Americas Tire tried to talked me into a set of Michelin Hydrogedge T rated tires for my Outback....why? OEM is V.

The Eagle GT's were very nice driving home. much quieter on a stretch of road that was defining with the RE92's.

I also like the stiffer sidewall.

The Eagles GT's do look much more aggressive on the outback with tread/sidewall blend.

Duckfan - I put H-rated tires on my civic SI, but it was V-rated stock. So yes, I downgraded. I'm fine with what I've done and know the various consequences.

SubLGTaru - Your 1999 Civic weighed about 2600 pounds and had a 1.6 liter engine putting out 160 HP with a much less broad powerband and a different suspension that needed the 195/55/15 tires to help soak up the bumps more.

Mine is a near 2900 pound car with a 2.0 liter putting out 200 HP. It needs more rubber and, let's face it, 205/55/16 was tried on the 2002+ RSX type S and found to be lacking. 215/45/17 was the next step up :)

I find it obscene that my "sporting" Subaru LGT weighing it at nearly 3500 pounds wears only 215/45/17 all around. It should have a bit more rubber, and a bit more sidewall given it's AWD capabilities. 225/45/17 should have been the stock setup, on 7.5" rims, in my mind :)

Invar - My Civic SI has about the same interior room (front and rear seating) as a modern BMW 3-series coupe. It's amazingly comfortable back there. So I don't know about sub-compact :)

Anyhooo...these new tires are tempting me from my 3rd floor window.

SubLGTaru - Your 1999 Civic weighed about 2600 pounds and had a 1.6 liter engine putting out 160 HP with a much less broad powerband and a different suspension that needed the 195/55/15 tires to help soak up the bumps more.

Understood! :)

I find it obscene that my "sporting" Subaru LGT weighing it at nearly 3500 pounds wears only 215/45/17 all around. It should have a bit more rubber, and a bit more sidewall given it's AWD capabilities. 225/45/17 should have been the stock setup, on 7.5" rims, in my mind :)

:whore:I would prob put 225's on the car if I were not selling it, but since I am selling it, I might as well stick with the stock 215 size.

yeah those tires are a bit pricey. If it is above 120 that is out of my range. Now I ran Goodyear F1's on my STI but this is a 2.5i ahahha and 100 will be the max I spend.

The 3 tires I mentioned are all about $100 each at Tirerack before shipping.

But if you are selling or trading in your car, GY Eagle RS-As will do. They aren't the best tire, but they're better than RE92s. The local Goodyear shop gave me a quote of $95 each installed.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 1 month later...

bumping this for eternal discussion

what do you guys think yokohama advan s4 vs michelin pilot sport a/s plus?

both are highly rated for wet and dry performance but there seem to be conflicting opinions on tread noise for both tires on tirerack.com

both are highly rated for wet and dry performance but there seem to be conflicting opinions on tread noise for both tires on tirerack.com

I'd go to Tirerack.com and read the "tests". If (after reading their test) you're still not sure, then it won't matter; because it would only be a small margin of difference.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=72

ah, thanks didn't see that test

hm they seem to be ranked pretty close....it's kind of a toss up between those

i've really enjoyed the advans A82 that were OEM on my vehicle (i have a 2.5i) so i'm partial to trying yoko rubber again but i have had good expeirences with michelin in the past on my prev vehicles and most members here seem to have had positive experiences with the pilot sport as well

but tread noise is pretty high on my priorities since i have long highway commutes now

I had the exsta ASX's and put on the Continental extremes afterwards, I really like them. I saw the Eagle gt's yesterday at the local discount tire. They look really nice for socal area but if you see snow or a lot of rain I would go for the extreme's I drove in Misawa japan with the extremes and my skyline, they ate up the snow, it was a lot of fun....

Although not an LGT, these are the two tires I came down to for my '05 OB XT.

For me, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus won-out because:

1. there was so much in the way of positive reviews of them from past Pilot Sport A/S owners (and I've owned them on my old BMWs, too)
  2. these come with a 45k mileage warranty
  3. It was also my sense from all the reviews that the Michelin's are probably stronger performers in the winter, too...which is a factor for me since I will not be doing the snow tire swap this coming season.

So, at this point, the Michelins became a no-brainer for me.

If for some reason I couldn't get the Plus', I would have no reservations about the S.4's. I have friends who run them on their 7-Series, Audis and S550's (a couple really drive the crap out of their cars) and all sing praises about them.

Tim

Harder to find, but the Finnish-made Nokian WRG2 are amazing. Quiet, smooth, grippy year 'round, excellent slowing stopping and turning in snow or rain... its predecessor, the WR, was the only all-season tire also rated for snow... don't know if it's still the only one, but it's about as good as you can get without going to a dedicated snow tire. More ecologically friendly manufacturing, too.

Our Outback 3.0R has been much more surefooted and fun to drive with the WRG2s on for the last 10 months. Improvement over stock in every aspect. It's our Legacy's turn now and I'm again considering the WRG2 or the Nokian V (summer rated that handles wet well, since our Legacy will see tons of rain but much less snow than our Outback). Possibly Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S as well, which is probably what I'd go with for sure if I hadn't been so impressed with Nokian.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11899&group=1.02&name=Nokian+WRG2

One thing to consider when changing diameter (215/45 to 225/45 or 205/50) is what you will do if you have a flat. Both of those changes are about 0.5in in diameter, or 1.5in in circumference, way over Subaru's recommended 0.25in circumference difference for long-term running. If you're just limping a few miles to a tire place, that's probably fine. If you're trying to finish a x00-mile trip, perhaps not?

For that reason, I carry a winter/summer tire as spare while on summer/winter tires. 205/50 and 225/45 are pretty close.

--Lee

I was reading this thread and found this post interesting. I am sure that this is not new information, but my 2.5i SE came stock with a 205/50/17, as opposed to the 215/45/17 on the GTs. I just went to 215/45/17s (on a 7.5" rim) for autoX, and the diameter change is evident. On top of that, for a 2.5i owner, the 225/45/17 is a lot closer to the stock size than is a 215/45/17.

Makes you wonder whose speedometer and odometer are off, given the likelihood that all of the speedo/obo gearing is shared between the models, but the wheel diameters actually vary...

any more feedback on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS? I'm liking those but TireRack feedback has a few comments about highway speed vibrations.

I have Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S right now of which I am not a fan of their winter traction. I thought they were poor so I want an all year tire that is better in the snow and little stiffer sidewalls.

any more feedback on the Conti ExtremeContact DWS? I'm liking those but TireRack feedback has a few comments about highway speed vibrations.

I have Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S right now of which I am not a fan of their winter traction. I thought they were poor so I want an all year tire that is better in the snow and little stiffer sidewalls.

I never noticed them, possibly a bad belt in the tire that threw it out of wack. also the guy putting on the tire could have not balanced it correctly, especially when it comes to low pro tires, they should use the stick on weights so the entire tire/wheel is balanced.

I was reading this thread and found this post interesting. I am sure that this is not new information, but my 2.5i SE came stock with a 205/50/17, as opposed to the 215/45/17 on the GTs. I just went to 215/45/17s (on a 7.5" rim) for autoX, and the diameter change is evident. On top of that, for a 2.5i owner, the 225/45/17 is a lot closer to the stock size than is a 215/45/17.

Makes you wonder whose speedometer and odometer are off, given the likelihood that all of the speedo/obo gearing is shared between the models, but the wheel diameters actually vary...

That's a really good point; I recently switched from the stock 225/55's on 17" rims to 225/60's on 16" rims and noticed that my trip computer is almost spot-on with the gas mileage averages now whereas with the stock sized setup it was always off.

It does make you wonder if they reallly calibrate the speedo, etc across ALL of the various tire/wheel size combinations....my guess is "no"! :)

Tim

Archived