LegacyGT.com

All season performance tire suggestions

tommboy

Just had Goodyear Eagle GTs mounted and...WOW! It's only been a little errand running so far, but what a meaty tire! I didn't realize how horrible the RE92s were until switching. There is so much tread all over that tire! I can't wait to get them in the snow later this month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking of getting the Pirelli PZero Nero All Season from TireRack to replace my kumho ASXs which are close to gone due to car being out of alignment. And louder than hell, but I don't think that's the tire's fault given my alignment issue.

Anyone tried them?

I don't know how this whole thread never mentioned the Pirelli P Zero Nero until now, I just got a set of M + S at STS Tire and actually saved money over Tire Rack if you include shipping and even the cheapest installer in area. These cars kill alignments, so luckily I also get free rotation and alignment checks for life of tire there. I'm replacing Kumho Ecstas, i stuck with 215's. The Kuhmo's came with car, I've put 30K on them and they wore well. Handling was average and they were like greased rails over 120mph making any type of hard turn.

Pirelli's are hands down the best value on Tire Rack if you consider price and performance. It's on par with the Michelin and over 40$ cheaper. The warranty is weak from my understanding, but that's the only drawback. I've never gotten a dime back on tires anyway, the Legacy was made to burn asphalt! See here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=87

Should have mentioned, of course your weather is a factor with tires and has been mentioned throughout the thread enough. The P Zero's are average when it comes to snow and only very good when it comes to wet traction. I live in the NE US and work from home, so I drive when it's nice 80% of the time. That made the Pirelli's attractive due to dry performance, road noise, wear and all around performance for the price. Snow tire's they are not, but I find a 250HP sled kinda fun myself.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=102

I'll report back in a few weeks, I just got them tonight, but definitely worthy of consideration based on my purchase and short assessment.

I ended up getting the ASXs again since money is tight. I've got a real noise issue with the car, though. I thought it was the badly worn ASXs, but even with the new ones, the car is unbearably loud. It seems speed dependent (over 50 mph and you can't hear yourself think, let alone the person in the back seat of my wagon). It wasn't like that 30,000 miles ago. I hope it's not the differential.

I'm still debating between Pilot Sport AS's, the DWS, and new Pirelli's.

Go "PS A/S Plus"....just had them in the crazy NE snows last weekend on my OB XT and having run dedicated studded snows the last 4+ seasons, I was still very happy with their performance. Just can't beat Michelin in performance or quality. Period.:)

Tim

I ended up getting the ASXs again since money is tight. I've got a real noise issue with the car, though. I thought it was the badly worn ASXs, but even with the new ones, the car is unbearably loud. It seems speed dependent (over 50 mph and you can't hear yourself think, let alone the person in the back seat of my wagon). It wasn't like that 30,000 miles ago. I hope it's not the differential.

Wheel bearings going bad?

Wheel bearings going bad?

Maybe. The odd thing is that when I turn right at 50+ mph, the sound disappears, ENTIRELY (not just a little), but when I'm turning to the left, the noise gets louder. Even a lane change will have this effect but to a lesser extent than a fast turn. And on a two lane highway (each way), in the left lane (crown in the road to right side), the sound is quieter than in the right lane. I attribute it to the loading of the suspension on the left side in these circumstances.

I don't know if it's coming from the front or the rear suspension (since the open inside of the wagon just amplifies every noise). It could be a bearing but it really sounds like tire patter. Axle? Don't know. But I wouldn't think that suspension loading would make bearing noise better or worse. Errr, unless it's a RIGHT wheel bearing getting UNLOADED (so quieter) when turning right? Hmmmmmm.

It also is at its worst between 50-60 mph (headache level), but it seems to decrease in volume or pitch above 60 mph. By 70 mph it's almost bearable.

:iam:

Go "PS A/S Plus"....just had them in the crazy NE snows last weekend on my OB XT and having run dedicated studded snows the last 4+ seasons, I was still very happy with their performance. Just can't beat Michelin in performance or quality. Period.:)

Tim

I have to agree with Tim that Michelin's are the best tire in class, however that does not qualify them as the best value for everyone. The Pirelli's were much cheaper (about 40 per tire) and just about as good with everything but warranty, treadlife and snow. So to me the Pirelli's were the better choice since it only snows where I live a few times a year and I have no problem with it in AWD even on bad Kuhmo's. I'd guess you'd get another 8-10K from the Michelins if you keep your alignment correct and rotate, so it's up to you if they are worth the extra money. As far as the negative info on Pirelli's when it's wet, I've had no problems at all and they don't hydroplane at unless you go through a puddle about 3-4 inches deep. Snow they are average at best. Dry they are phenomenal.

I don't know how this whole thread never mentioned the Pirelli P Zero Nero until now, I just got a set of M + S at STS Tire and actually saved money over Tire Rack if you include shipping and even the cheapest installer in area.

Pirelli's are hands down the best value on Tire Rack if you consider price and performance. It's on par with the Michelin and over 40$ cheaper. The warranty is weak from my understanding, but that's the only drawback.

I haven't seen a lot of buzz here either re: the new Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons. I'm wondering whether it might have something to do with how Pirelli didn't really do much marketing of them as most tire companies do when they introduce a new tire into the marketplace. Instead, I think most consumers are mistaking the new All-Season as the same ol' PZero Nero M+S which has been around for quite a while and was notorious for being poor in winter conditions.

I'm curious to hear how this new model does in the white stuff as compared to the M+S version. Looks like a good tire to me...

Tim

I have to agree with Tim that Michelin's are the best tire in class, however that does not qualify them as the best value for everyone. The Pirelli's were much cheaper (about 40 per tire) and just about as good with everything but warranty, treadlife and snow. So to me the Pirelli's were the better choice since it only snows where I live a few times a year and I have no problem with it in AWD even on bad Kuhmo's. I'd guess you'd get another 8-10K from the Michelins if you keep your alignment correct and rotate, so it's up to you if they are worth the extra money. As far as the negative info on Pirelli's when it's wet, I've had no problems at all and they don't hydroplane at unless you go through a puddle about 3-4 inches deep. Snow they are average at best. Dry they are phenomenal.

You're absolutely right. "Value" is subjective and means different things to different people.

For me, I love the idea of saving even $160 by buying something less than the Michelins, but then I thought about how long I typically keep a set of tires on my car (usually 4 years or so) and then re-did the math on the cost difference over how long I expect to keep them. Didn't seem like such a big deal at that point.

One thing I've learned from taking the "cheap route"; it's no fun being "married" to a set of tires you don't really like that much. 4 years is a long time! ;)

Tim

Completely sold on my Michelin PS ASes. 3rd set - two 225/45x17 sets (2nd set still has 3/4 tread) and upgraded to 225/40x18. Amazing dry, wet and excellent in snow and ice. They are truly All Season and they wear like rhino hide.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Maybe. The odd thing is that when I turn right at 50+ mph, the sound disappears, ENTIRELY (not just a little), but when I'm turning to the left, the noise gets louder. Even a lane change will have this effect but to a lesser extent than a fast turn. And on a two lane highway (each way), in the left lane (crown in the road to right side), the sound is quieter than in the right lane. I attribute it to the loading of the suspension on the left side in these circumstances.

I don't know if it's coming from the front or the rear suspension (since the open inside of the wagon just amplifies every noise). It could be a bearing but it really sounds like tire patter. Axle? Don't know. But I wouldn't think that suspension loading would make bearing noise better or worse. Errr, unless it's a RIGHT wheel bearing getting UNLOADED (so quieter) when turning right? Hmmmmmm.

It also is at its worst between 50-60 mph (headache level), but it seems to decrease in volume or pitch above 60 mph. By 70 mph it's almost bearable.

:iam:

What year is your Subie? My 2005 Legacy GT has Factory recall on rear wheel bearings and I had mine replaced. You should be able to check by your VIN I think if you find and ESB out there or call your dealer. It didn't seem to be a matter of turning in my case, they growled at high speed. It was pretty subtle but easy enough to hear with windows up and radio off.

What year is your Subie? My 2005 Legacy GT has Factory recall on rear wheel bearings and I had mine replaced. You should be able to check by your VIN I think if you find and ESB out there or call your dealer. It didn't seem to be a matter of turning in my case, they growled at high speed. It was pretty subtle but easy enough to hear with windows up and radio off.

Car is at the dealer now to have the bearings checked and changed if that's the culprit. He seemed to think it was.

Fark. Right rear wheel bearing but the center differential is making the most noise. Changed the trans and diff fluids at 40k miles but the mechanic had finger trouble and didn't tighten the transmission drain plug. By the time I caught it, the fluid didn't show on the trans dipstick. It was a private mech I've used for 15 years and he promised to make it good if it proved to be a problem. We'll see. The dealer is saying a trans alone is $3k without labor.

Just what I need after being laid off last week. :spin:

Just purchase a set of contiextremecontact DWS two days ago. I was testing in the icy snow, but was not getting the traction as I hope for. Discount tire must have my pressure set to 32 psi. I will check the tire pressure tomorrow.

UPdate. Finally got the car back after 2 days. The right rear wheel bearing was the massive noise culprit. Aside from the whine from the transmission, the car is silent, but the whine is noticeable. It was apparently hidden by the bearing noise.

I'll take the car to the mechanic who blubbed the trans fluid change next week.

It's nice to hear my own thoughts again while driving. The bearing noise gave me headaches.

And so it wasn't the Kumho ASXs making tread noise as they got worn and old. I still like em for the dough.

All my tire pressure was at 30 psi. So I put 37 in the fronts and 35 in the rears, so will test it out again since were are getting more snow.

Lower tire pressure will actually help you with traction when you are trying to get your car going from a stop. So if you're ever stuck in the snow in a parking spot or something, you're supposed to let out air from your tires.

However, once you actually get moving, your tires should be inflated to the appropriate pressure.

Just purchase a set of contiextremecontact DWS two days ago. I was testing in the icy snow, but was not getting the traction as I hope for. Discount tire must have my pressure set to 32 psi. I will check the tire pressure tomorrow.

I just got my DWS's on Monday and my wifes minivan was outperforming me on our snowpacked neighborhood streets. In other words, I didn't get the traction I was hoping for either.

I have read that tires need a 500 mile break in, unfortunately I only got about 50 miles on them before the 5 inches of snow we got last night. I'd like to hear if yours get better for you.

your tires are brand new and haven't been through the break in period

this was discussed in this thread:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127587&page=4

link to the article here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5

Initial "slipperiness" is also due to the mold release solution that coats every new tire. Once that wears off, you'll have a much better sense (TPs set correctly of course ;)) of what the handling should be like.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived