• 160,000-170,000
    • 170,000-180,000
    • 180,000-190,000
    • 190,000-200,000+

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
165100 and still strong. Just made the trip cross country with no problems. I have replaced all gaskets when I went through the engine, also 2 thermostats have been replaced. The last owner did nothing to the car beside regular maintenance.

My 1992 single intercooled GT turbo crossed 420,000Km still in daily use as a general use workshop hack. Not had any major problems. Still goes like the day I got it. Been run on 91 octane for all its life. Just changed the engine oil and filter every 12,500Km as per the Manual. Never have changed the transmission oil. Fitted a transmission cooler to handle towing. Did not expect any vehicle to last long after 200,000Km so did not do any more maintenance intending to run it until it broke down then sell it to the wreckers but by 400,000Km nothing had gone wrong with it so treated it to a belt change and a new set of spark plugs. They said it is still in good running condition except the cambelt was hanging on the last thread. Doesn't leak oil, no smoke, and doesn't burn any between changes. Gets run at 7,000rpm and mostly on country roads (unsealed). Young fella brought it home recently said he had finally broken it. Admitted he had been thrashing it on the open road but turned out to be a water hose that runs under the inlet manifold had deteriorated and burst. Thats all in the last couple of years. Bit thirsty by todays standards. Averaged 10L/100Km over its life.

I have a 1993 that has 194,000 and I plan to try to put 300k on it. I had another 1993 that i bought with 50k and sold it 1 yr ago with 210,985 for $650.00. The car I have now has heads that leak so I put fluid in it every three days. I also live in vegas where it gets very very very hot and the ac is ice cold. I love the fact that one of my friends has a car payment for a 2006 nissan maxima for 680 a month and makes fun of me. This is the best car ever made. The only one I HAVE EVER seen last longer was the datsun station wagon my dad had that had 500k miles on it when he sold it for 500.00 Best of luck YALL

did you hear about the guy with the saab...he got it brand new in 199? and then when it hit 500k with just routine maintance and still running strong, he emailed saab to tell them. so they sent him a brand new one for free. the last i heard he still drives the old one and gave the new one to his wife.

• 2 years later...
'92 Legacy L 223K and runs great. Just changed the tb, wp, and all the front seals. Still runs nice and smooth. That was the original wp. The car is a 5 speed so no tranny trouble here. Did replace the original clutch at 200k.

200k on original clutch; outstanding! My A/T is a beast, with regular ATF changes. I got it at 218k, changed the fluid, even though it was clean (recently done), so, it had regular attention before me. It is slow between forward and reverse and visa versa, but not annoyingly, and I understand there is an adjustment for this (which I could not follow). No longer a daily driver, in fact I am ready to let her go since I have a fleet now, but still marvel at the longevity these cars will give in return for regular attention. 287k now, still uses little oil, no oil leaks other than one valve cover a bit. I have neglected timing belt as my '95 Legacy L is a non-interference 2.2L, and I have no clue if or when it was ever changed before me. But, I also don't hear whining from any of the associated bearings. Recent purchase is a 99 Mazda Millenia 2.5L; found some guy on a forum claims 370k on original timing belt, as, same deal; non-interference. I think at this point he is simply curious how long it will go before something fails. I applaud him.

• 3 weeks later...
that was fun! I just read this thread as a guest . not a guest anymore! Well I just bought my 1st subie today. its a legacy gt 4 door, 140k new H.G. cam seals, timing belt WP, runs VG Its an auto, machanic owned. I might have over payed a little but I was very impresed with this car!

1991 BC single turbo 2.0 auto sedan now crossed 440,000km not using oil or water. Just put 4 new shockies on and renewed the swaybar bushes and links. It's mostly original and not had any major service work apart from regular 10km oil/filters. Still performs well.

1996 BD twin turbo auto nearly 300,000km. was a poor performer when I got it so swapped the Mines ecu for the Prova which made it sparkle whilst retaining all the standard ecu safety features. Stock factory. Have not made any other mods.

2002 Forester non turbo manual hi/lo 2.5L at 300,000km just starting to burn oil. It's not bad yet so am trialing a different visc oil. Car in good working condition otherwise. Someone says these motors are intentionally detuned and we could improve on the standard 2.5L with a simple obd2 port plugin unit and a pod air filter to gain about 15% or 20-50hp. If it needs a dropin replacement motor might try this but I don't know anybody who has done it.

2003 Forester auto 2.5 non-turbo at 250,000km giving no trouble. Typically just a tad underpowered for our hill country but very practical esp in the current rains and mud conditions. Could come forward a few years for a few thousand dollars but these are practical daily rough working vehicles which do the job well and there's nothing to be gained by a late model around-town runner prettied up shopping basket.

Archived